OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The Different Grades of Swarovski Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote South Pender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Different Grades of Swarovski Scopes
    Posted: June/08/2019 at 15:50
I ran through the Swarovski website and noticed that they make scopes in several ranges, differing mainly in the zoom ratio.  The Z3's have a 3x zoom ratio, the Z5s, a 5x, Z6s, a 6 times ratio, and Z8s an 8x ratio.  So here's my question:

Is the optical quality--brightness, clarity, etc.--also different from one line to another?  In other words, if you set a Z3 to 9 power, a Z5 to 9 power, a Z6 to 9 power, and a Z8 to 9 power, would the image be noticeably better with the higher zoom-ratio models?  Ignore the illumination option in this.  Consider non-illuminated Z6s and Z8s when making this comparison (the Z3s and Z5s don't offer illumination).  Or is it solely a matter of differing zoom ratios?  Given the phenomenal difference in price between, say, the Z3s and the Z8s, you'd have to think more is happening here than merely a change in zoom ratio, but is this the case?
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2019 at 19:56
i have read that swaro uses the same optical quality optics in all the lines. But the optical systems and designs are very different. 

There is not going to be a huge noticeable difference between the lines. I used to have a z6 and i could not tell much if any diff optically between my z3.  But your milage will likely vary
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2019 at 17:40
If I’m not mistaken the Z3 and Z5’s are 1” tubes and have different mechanics.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2019 at 21:33
There is a difference in image quality as well and it is fairly significant.

All are good optically though.

ILya
South Pender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote South Pender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2019 at 13:06
Originally posted by saltydog235 saltydog235 wrote:

If I’m not mistaken the Z3 and Z5’s are 1” tubes and have different mechanics.

Yes, that's right.  The Z3s and Z5s have 1" tubes, and the Z6s and Z8s have 30 mm. tubes.  So this might account for better image quality for the Z6s and Z8s.

That raises another question for me: Does tube diameter affect image quality and light-gathering ability as well as extent of reticle elevation and windage adjustment?
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2019 at 13:59
Tube diameter has no influence on light transmission. It doesn’t directly influence potential image quality either, except to the extent that having the additional space may allow for using larger diameter erector assembly lenses, which can decrease optical aberrations. It’s all dependent on the overall optical design of the system. You can have exactly the same coatings and grades of glass used in 2 different optics yet still have significant differences in image quality due to the arrangement of lens groups, shapes of lens elements, placement of ED lenses in the system, lens grind and polish precision, internal baffling design, etc — differences in overall optical design. These factors all directly affect how well the optic can correct for various aberrations. Sometimes achieving the design intent requires a larger diameter main tube.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2019 at 20:18
Ted is spot on.

Scopes are built to fit a particular price tag and they perform according to that price tag.  If Swarovski wanted to build a $2.5k scope with 1" tube it would perform better than their $1k scope with 1" tube.  

Some things do require extra real estate (like higher erector ratios, travel, etc), but as far as pure image quality goes, tube diameter is not really a consideration.

ILya
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2019 at 06:09
Ouch now I have a headache...  but good info!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic