OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sig 320, the AR15 of the pistol world

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sig 320, the AR15 of the pistol world
    Posted: September/03/2019 at 12:01
Many of us bought our first AR for much the same reason: throw on a 10" upper for very close range stuff, throw on a 20" heavy barrel-upper for the "reach out and touch" stuff. And, at least for me, that soon morphed into, "What if I need a close shot followed by a distant shot? Well, damn, I better get another AR lower", and thusly the collection grew.

Fortunately for me, that same mix-n-match capability never extended to my handgun inventory. But now...

Enter the Sig 320. With a central fire control unit, which the BATFE considers the firearm, you can move it around to various receivers and slides, and turn the same "firearm" from a micro 9mm to a long-slide 9 or a carry-weight 357Sig.

Then - and this is the fun part - you can start mixing and matching lowers and uppers, in a way not previously possible with any handgun I know. My favorite configuration now is the Carry lower with the Xfive upper - wearing a Shield RMS red dot. it is exceedingly fast on target, easily recovered for follow-up shots, and sports a shorter, easier-to-conceal grip frame. Yes, the same upper on the full-sized, Xfive lower is even more stable and comfortable, and carries even more rounds - 21 compared to 15; however, it is significantly longer in the grip, which means easier to spot when carried discreetly.

Note of caution: that I have done this does not mean Sig says "do whatever you want, all is well." Any deviation from their configuration should be tested extensively, and will be done at your own risk.

I am now at the point where I might want to shoot a few configurations without swapping things around and rechecking function and zero. And thus the "AR15 of handguns" trap is sprung.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2019 at 07:58

Legos for adults.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2019 at 08:14
T don't need another infinitely reconfigurable "thing" to be constantly changing out parts on.  I have more than I want (but probably not more than I need) now.  I'm just loving my FN 5.7 right now.  Took a shot with it on my 100 yard range the other day... 1 shot, no rest... draw and fire, 1.5 inches off center.  Target is backed by 3/16" steel... did not penetrate, but made one heck of a dent.   However, there is little in reconfig that can be done with this pistol.  It needs a new trigger and better sights... outrageous prices for trigger work and sights.  There are definitely advantages to reconfigurable items...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2019 at 12:04
Sig just needs to make a X grip with the notches for the fire control units (FCU) with safeties.
Sig has already released a X5 Legion with a titanium infused grip module to increase the weight for competition, and they are selling the grip module as well. RC is right, you can mix and match parts to configure what ever you need.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2019 at 15:08
I'm NOT going to get one...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2019 at 07:30
Dan, they're like potato chips; you can't get just one. The funny thing is, they were designed so that you only need to get one.
If Sig sold them as kits that came with 1 FCU and a selection of different barrel and slide lengths, and grip sizes and magazine lengths,or even different calibers, they could sell a bunch of kits.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2019 at 07:32
Yep, as RC said... JUST LIKE AR's...

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2019 at 08:02
You know you're gonna get one.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2019 at 13:46
He's waiting for the 5.7 conversion barrel.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2019 at 13:59
We are ALL waiting for a 5.7 conversion barrel!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2019 at 17:37
I'm going t have to bite the bullets (two of them) and get the trigger job and the night sights on the 5.7.  I've done a bit of shooting with the 5.7 in the last few days, LOVE the gun overall, but an 8+ pound trigger pull is not conducive to the type of shooting I practice and the sights are just TOO... too thin, too dark, too narrow... just TOO.  I'm not unhappy I got the gun, but I wish it was not a NATO gun... NATO can mess up really good stuff.  And I truly HATE the "last round switch"... what a stupid concept. 

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2019 at 18:47
Last round switch?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2019 at 19:13
It's a play upon a function of the LPWS I worked with.  Won't fire without a magazine inserted.  

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2019 at 08:30
Oh, okay, it's a magazine disconnect. Something that is hated by most and appreciated by some.
I appreciate them unless they effect trigger pull, which most do. The P320 doesn't have one.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2019 at 08:39
It has significant impact on trigger action on the 5.7 and is very expensive to get rid of.  

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2019 at 09:15
you got the money, spend it to make it what you want.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2019 at 09:26
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Oh, okay, it's a magazine disconnect. Something that is hated by most and appreciated by some.
I appreciate them unless they effect trigger pull, which most do. The P320 doesn't have one.

Can you explain to me what you appreciate about it?

I have only one gun with a magazine disconnect - and it was removed before I took possession of the gun. I hate them in my guns, but like them in other people's, since it allows me to drop their magazine - rendering the gun a blunt instrument - before I do the ninja-like move of removing their slide and throwing it at them as I laugh diabolically.

But seriously, who likes disconnects and why?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2019 at 09:55

Well, yeah, he's damn good. I mean, how did he do that thing with the gun? How the hell did he do that? I mean, he took my gun apart with one deft move. How did he do that? Huh? How?

Yeah... okay. Let's go ask him.

Edited by Kickboxer - September/06/2019 at 10:00

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2019 at 11:37
I would personally classify the 1911 as the reigning champ of the “AR15 of the pistol world” title, but I understand your point of the Sig fire control unit being kinda analogous to an AR’s lower. From the standpoint of aftermarket parts availability and customization possibilities I think the 1911 makes for a more compelling comparison. Glocks and to a lesser extent the Ruger MK .22 series (only because of lack of chambering versatility) are close to vying for that title as well.

On mag disconnects, I hate those with the fires of hell. There is no good reason I can think of for anyone who is remotely handgun savvy to have that feature.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2019 at 11:50
1911's are not for the everyday joe though.  They require fitting and filing often times.  Not what I would call "ar-15 easy"
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic