OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sig 320, the AR15 of the pistol world

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2019 at 12:25
True.

Glocks, though...
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2019 at 12:35
Seriously?

With the Sig, I can change calibers with ease, I can change slide length with ease, I can take take 3 separate guns apart and make 3 different guns entirely: maybe that is doable with a Glock, with some care and lots of testing (I always wanted a longer slide on a shorter grip, you gotta buy it or play with it to make sure it works, and that doesn't count changing calibers at the same time.) On 1911, it ain't even close.

I was not referring to the aftermarket parts list, I was referring to the ability to play Legos with it, take parts and make new things - my example being the Carry grip with the Xfive slide. I am not aware of anyone that has casually done this with Glock.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2019 at 15:16
You’re talking to someone who has casually done just that with Glocks, numerous times. You can do exactly the same thing with a Glock, with even greater aftermarket parts availability. There are all manner of aftermarket slides, barrels, triggers, and small parts kits. Companies like Lone Wolf offer slide lengths you cannot get from Glock for a given grip frame. I know of at least 10 companies offering aftermarket drop-in barrels for Glock. There are even some aftermarket grips, albeit most changes in Glock grips are done by making mods to an existing grip.

Hell, 5 years ago, I practically made a cottage industry out of tricking out Glocks with aftermarket parts for customers at my previous employer. When was the last time you looked through a Brownells catalog?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2019 at 15:33
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

When was the last time you looked through a Brownells catalog?

When it was still paper.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2019 at 15:48
and then there are Encore single shot pistols.
caliber possibles include 416 Rigby and  375 H&H and 220 Swift or ______

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2019 at 17:14
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

When was the last time you looked through a Brownells catalog?

When it was still paper.

Hahaha! Yeah, I slow pitched that one over the plate. 

Admittedly, I’m still “old school,” when it comes to stuff like gun parts, machining tooling, etc. I still use their catalog, and still prefer thumbing through a physical paper catalog when available vs searching a website. I actually find the stuff I need easier the old-fashioned way.
Ted

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2019 at 17:17
Big difference between you and most of us Ted is you are a machinist and have access to tools and equipment most of us probably don't even know exists.  We need the stuff that is plug and play.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2019 at 17:25
Well, I can buy drop in slides and barrels for Glock of different lengths and calibers, aftermarket triggers, strikers, guide rods, springs, and small parts...all drop-in. Anyone who can pull a slide and barrel off a Glock can change to an entirely new slide and barrel length and caliber in minutes, no machining or any other mod required. 

Does that qualify as “plug and play?”
Ted

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2019 at 17:40
But still, you have to buy adapters to make a long slide fit a short frame, there are 5 different generations of glocks, the pins are different in the different gens, etc etc.  Its not like the Sig Jeff is trying to point out.  They are literally plug and play.

Not dogging the glock, but don't think they are as simple as the SIG. there will be lots of aftermarket stuff coming soon for them I bet.

I have a 17 POF slide I intend at some point to put on a aftermarket 19 sized frame.  But I can't just put it on.  I have to get an adapter, and a special barrel to do it. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2019 at 21:51

Anyone who can pull a slide and barrel off a Glock can change to an entirely new slide and barrel length and caliber in minutes, no machining or any other mod required. 

Doesn't changing to a different caliber require a different extractor?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2019 at 07:25
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

But still, you have to buy adapters to make a long slide fit a short frame, there are 5 different generations of glocks, the pins are different in the different gens, etc etc.  Its not like the Sig Jeff is trying to point out.  They are literally plug and play.

Not dogging the glock, but don't think they are as simple as the SIG. there will be lots of aftermarket stuff coming soon for them I bet.

I have a 17 POF slide I intend at some point to put on a aftermarket 19 sized frame.  But I can't just put it on.  I have to get an adapter, and a special barrel to do it. 

No, you don't always have to use adaptors to make a long slide fit a short frame, depending on the model you're converting. For example, you can put a 17 length slide on a 19 simply by buying the Brownells 19LS slide. It has an extended guide rod boss in front of the dust cover to make up the length difference, so it drops right in. Ditto for the 2 slide lengths available for the G20 & 21 from Lone Wolf; the longer slide just has a longer guide rod boss to make up the space between the end of the dust cover and front slide face. You can also just drop in a longer barrel with no slide change to any Glock if your intent is to install a suppressor, or you wanted to use a ported barrel, or you want more velocity and don't mind the strange look of some extra barrel protruding from the slide.

A person intent on putting together an unusual config "Glock" just plans for this ahead of time and buys the appropriate frame that is compatible for their intended project. Of course you have to get a special barrel, but that special barrel is completely drop-in, and that's part of the fun of it all.

I'm well aware of the compatibility issues associated with trying to mix and match parts from different gens, but again, if the intent from the get-go is to assemble a "FrankenGlock," then I'd advise just buying a Gen3 frame and stick to Gen3 parts.

I totally understand Jeff's point and agree that the new Sigs present the potential for assembling some interesting combinations by simply swapping parts from a couple different guns from the series, with nothing else required. Yes, doing so is way more straightforward than with Glock customization, no parts compatibility knowledge required as with the latter. My point was that one's definition of "the AR15 of the pistol world" differs depending on how one looks at the AR's attributes. If the comparison is made based just on ease of customization and availability of trick parts that are fully drop-in ready, the Glock is currently the reigning king in that game. Although it's certainly easier to mix and match Sig P320 parts, the options for customization currently don't remotely approach what can be done with a Glock. 

My original thought on this topic pertained to the availability of aftermarket parts and customization ability without regards to ease of customization, which is why I cited the 1911. But you're correct that delving into that world definitely requires one to have skills and equipment well beyond the capabilities of "Joe Average Shooter."
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2019 at 07:37
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Anyone who can pull a slide and barrel off a Glock can change to an entirely new slide and barrel length and caliber in minutes, no machining or any other mod required. 

Doesn't changing to a different caliber require a different extractor?

For the Glock models where caliber change is "drop-in" possible, no. For example, going from .40 to .357 Sig or vice-versa just requires a barrel swap.

Some caliber conversions might require an extractor change; IDK. What is possible and what is advisable to do is frequently 2 different things.
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2019 at 07:46
And with that said, I don't want to sidetrack Jeff's thread further. Though I fully recognize, appreciate, and respect Gaston Glock's invention and its influence on the firearms world, and though I've enjoyed tinkering with them, for my own personal carry, I'm not a Glock fan.
Ted

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2019 at 07:39
The difference between the Glock and the Sig; the Sig is made to swap parts, and Sig will stand behind it, the Golck isn't made to swap parts, and even though you can, Glock will tell you, you are on your own.
As for after market parts for the Sig, you can't keep up with how fast aftermarket parts are coming out, and Sig comes out with swapable parts too.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2020 at 07:26
ok... I've been bitten again.... thinking hard about getting a 320 as it so closely mirrors the 365 carry I have... no exposed hammer or safety (trying to keep my defense systems the same-no thinking).  I prolly won't swap stuff around much, so is the 320 still what I want/need?

keep in mind, I currently have a Sig P2022 that I shoot very well, but it's a DA with exposed hammer(love the de-cocker)
take em!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2020 at 09:09
Since originally posting this, my love of the 320 platform has grown. My gun/s have been exceedingly reliable, very accurate for my needs, and are just fun to shoot. The swapping around of parts makes things interesting, especially considering I have red dots on some but not all slides, so the carry slide on the Xfive frame is fun (though I haven't figured out a reason for it to exist yet.)

I also carry a 365, especially in the hotter months when a tee shirt is all you need to make the tiny wonder disappear. The controls, locations, and trigger feel will all be comparable.

On the 320, consider the need before you consider the model, since they go from sub-compact (which you don't need because...365) up to Xfive race gun. And, my only criticism of the line, the compact and carry are so similar as to be almost entirely redundant.

Holsters are easy to find now, and the trigger and sights are so good "out of the box" that I haven't felt the need to upgrade or change them. If you want to alter the gun, there is now no shortage of options. It isn't glock-level customizable, but that isn't a problem for me, I like the gun as it was built.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2020 at 07:17
Thanks RC!
take em!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2020 at 08:08
Of course you know I'm a big fan of the P320. As soon as I get home from work, I take the Glock off and put a P320C on.
Other than the X5, all my Sig's have manual safeties, and that's my choice. I thought about using a M17 FCU on the X5, but since I only use it for competition, I didn't see the need.
I did install a Grey Guns trigger kit in my X5, and since it replaces the X5's flat trigger, I put the X5 trigger in the P320C. It made a big difference in the P320C without any other mods. It was that P320C that I shot the coyote with at 135yds.
Off duty, I carry the P320C most of the time, but the P365 is my choice when weight and/or clothing make it difficult to conceal/carry the P320C.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic