OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Trijicon ACOG 6 X 48 Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cassmanbearcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trijicon ACOG 6 X 48 Scope
    Posted: September/17/2019 at 21:32
Trijicon ACOG 6 X 48 Scope Dual Illuminated Chevron .308 Ballistic Reticle,,

im thinking about buying one for long range hunting,,,300-1000 yards any one have any info for me,,,pros,,,cons….
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2019 at 09:02
We'll zip right past the ethical issues of long range hunting and get right to the question.
ACOG is 20+ year old technology, it was purpose-built for battle-rifle use. The reticle is calibrated to a certain round, and is never dead nutz for distances beyond 300 yards or so - or that has been my experience with them. Additionally, windage and elevation adjustments are - by design - not easy to get to. Glass is good, illumination is great, and the scopes are damn near bombproof.

At distances beyond about 700 yards, wind calls become very, very important; so you need a reticle that can dope wind, or you need a windage turret to spin for wind. Neither is an ACOG. A 1000 yard shot is not an easy shot, minor mistakes in form and trigger pull and cheek weld very quickly turn into misses. Or, in hunting terms, wounded animals that will never be recovered.

For what it is, a battle rifle scope, it is very good. In the modern era of reliable variable optics and Christmas tree reticles, it is rapidly approaching dinosaur status.

I would not put an ACOG on an AR10 (which, I assume, is what you are scoping), there are too many better options for same or less money. My favorite AR10 wears a Nightforce 2.5-10 and it is about perfect for my purposes.

So, I'll bounce this back to you: why ACOG for a hunting optic?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2019 at 09:34
Good words, good advice, good question...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2019 at 10:03
I own a couple ACOGs and agree with RC completely.  They are a good sight for their intended use.  But there are way better options for hunting than and ACOG. 

The accupoint and accupower scopes are great hunting scopes IMO. 

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - September/18/2019 at 10:51
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Cassmanbearcat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cassmanbearcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2019 at 16:19
thanks for your input, that's exactly the info I needed,,,scope was offered to me really cheap and I know nothing about them so I came here to find out about them,,,i will not be buying scope. thanks again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2019 at 16:40
Wait, if it is being offered cheap, it might not be a bad investment. For your purposes, it is not a good fit. But it is definitely something you can flip, if the price is right.

It is far from a bad scope, it just doesn't fit the requirements you stated previously.

But make sure it is real, there are ACOG knockoffs that aren't worth their weight in feces, and sadly, people find that out the hard way.
Cassmanbearcat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cassmanbearcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2019 at 16:53
that might not be a bad idea,,could even trade it for something

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2019 at 19:13
SWFA does trade-ins. As said before, make sure it is real!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2019 at 23:15
All good advice.

A couple of quick additional points:

The 6x48 ACOG was originally made as a machine gun optic, so it is quite heavy.  It is very robust, but it was never really intended for anything much beyond area fire.

There are much better options for a hunting rifle that will give you more performance at half the weight.

ILya
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2019 at 01:25
6x a bit small mag in my view for Longer Range stuff. Think you'd be better served with a 3-12x and with a 308 not thinking at 1,000yds
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2019 at 15:33

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic