OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Handgun Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

RMSc - Any feedback?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluehorseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2019 at 12:58
Do you know if the RMSc is standard with different plates beneath? I went to a site that has one, but is 'specific' for the Glock G43. Shows a plate underneath, and I'd like to get an RMSc for the Hellcat I just ordered. Thanks in advance.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2019 at 13:20
Originally posted by bluehorseshoe bluehorseshoe wrote:

Do you know if the RMSc is standard with different plates beneath? I went to a site that has one, but is 'specific' for the Glock G43. Shows a plate underneath, and I'd like to get an RMSc for the Hellcat I just ordered. Thanks in advance.

I do not understand what "standard with different plates beneath" means.  RMSc does not come with any plates.  Some guns come with different mounting pates to fit different sights.  The mounting plate designs for Jpoint and Shield sights will work in those cases.

RMSc fits the same mounting pattern as the rest of Shield RMS and SMS series sights.

Hellcat is precut for it, so any of the RMS and SMS sights will fit.  However SMS, RMS and RMSw will overhang the sides a little bit, while SMSc and RMSc will fit the width of the slide.

ILya
bluehorseshoe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluehorseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2019 at 15:16
Thanks. You answered my question. 

The Glock 43 has a plate for the RMSc that sits 'beneath' (under) the scope for mounting, however Glock 'advertises' the RMSc it as custom for the G43. The only thing that's 'custom' that I can tell is the mounting plate necessary in order for it to sit on the slide.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2019 at 15:33
Originally posted by bluehorseshoe bluehorseshoe wrote:

Thanks. You answered my question. 

The Glock 43 has a plate for the RMSc that sits 'beneath' (under) the scope for mounting, however Glock 'advertises' the RMSc it as custom for the G43. The only thing that's 'custom' that I can tell is the mounting plate necessary in order for it to sit on the slide.

Yes, that is correct.  The plate comes from Glock.

Shield does have their own adapter plate for the MOS Glock guns that allows co-witnessing with standard height iron sights, but that is typically used with full width RMS.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2019 at 16:37
Not Glock-related, but Shield does make a special thin plate for their sights to fit the Walther PPQ4 & Q5 Match series pistols. It provides a much lower mount height than the plate supplied by Walther. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Illusion View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Illusion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2019 at 09:57
There is a glass lens available for the RMSc. On the Shield website, go to their customizer option and you will see that a glass lens will be coming soon for the sight.  I called the company to confirm, and the representative told me he could sell me a glass one today.  I am not sure how much extra the cost is but I would guess $100 or so.  

He downplayed the whole scratching of polymer lens issue, saying if you take simple precautions it is not an issue.  I have never used a Red Dot Reflex sight on a pistol but have decided to give it a go.  Now I just have to decide on the glass vs plastic lens.  I was thinking glass, but after reviewing the feedback here, I am starting to think, just stick with the polymer.  Thoughts?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2019 at 11:11
Welcome to OT, Illusion!

Personally, I'd get the standard polycarbonate lens unless you think you'll be subjecting your pistol to abrasive conditions such as sandy environments. I've had no issues with the poly lens, but then the pistols I have them on are strictly range guns, so I haven't put them through harsh environmental conditions.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Heartburn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heartburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2020 at 07:51
I have seen some comments that the Shield RMSc is the only reflex sight for the smaller CCW pistols. There is one more and that is JP Enterprize's Jpoint MRD. It is an exact fit to the Hellcat OSP with the extra screws that come with the Hellcat.

I can not comment on durability as I only installed one yesterday (04 Feb 2020). It does cowitness with the iron sights so that they can be used if you desire with the Jpoint in place. 

The price is $100 less than the Shield and was able to get one in 2-3 days of ordering. 
JLH
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2020 at 08:57
Shield is picking up some serious brownie points in Europe as a pistol scope
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2020 at 09:37
A new data point: an RMS I purchased on 20Feb18 had the batteries die last night. It has been run steadily over the 2 years the battery lasted.

I have my original RMS, purchased in December of 2017, that battery is still running, but that gun is kept primarily in a dark gun safe, so auto adjusted to the lowest setting for most of its life.

So, real world use, the battery lasted 2 years.

Carry on.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2020 at 09:44
That sounds about right.  I habitually swap out the batteries one everything once a year, but I kept one of my Shield sights (SIS in this case) with the original battery just to see and it lasted for about two years before I had to replace it.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic