OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA hunting scope suggestion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GiantGreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA hunting scope suggestion
    Posted: October/20/2019 at 08:53
Id like to suggest a hunting/ updated version of the SS HD3-9.
Capped windage
Locking  and/or zero stop elevation, mil bssed.
MIL based G4, like koskins vortex reticle. No bdc. Just 1-2 mils vertical and horizontal.  Nice thick German 4 bars for  low light. . 
No slick power ring,  but throw lever. 

Of course swfa toughness,  perfect tracking
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2019 at 15:19
Sounds reasonable!
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2019 at 18:30
i want them to make a 2-20 with hd glass that cost $400. £ 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2019 at 17:00
I think it would make a lot of sense to have a hunting scope with mil based Christmas tree reticle and capped adjustments. 

Elk, brisket to top of back - 30", Buck deer  16 to18",  Buck antelope - 16"

2  mil   16 in 222 yds       18 in 250 yds
1.5 mil 16 in 296 yds       18 in 333 yds
1   mil  16 in 444 yds       18 in 500 yds

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2019 at 22:23
Originally posted by GiantGreg GiantGreg wrote:

Id like to suggest a hunting/ updated version of the SS HD3-9.
Capped windage
Locking  and/or zero stop elevation, mil bssed.
MIL based G4, like koskins vortex reticle. No bdc. Just 1-2 mils vertical and horizontal.  Nice thick German 4 bars for  low light. . 
No slick power ring,  but throw lever. 

Of course swfa toughness,  perfect tracking

Personally, I would really like something like that and the reticle I originally sketched that became G4 was mrad based.  I also have a small tree version of it.

It is not clear if there is enough market for it to justify developing a new scope, but I think current 3-9x42 SS with covered windage turret and a hunting oriented reticle would have a fair bit of an audience.  

Throw lever can always be added on later.  I do not mind the power ring as is, since it is fairly unobtrusive and I have not found it hard to change magnification when needed (I have two of the 3-9x42 scopes).

ILya

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2019 at 07:51
The Bushnell Elite LRHS is more than capable and has several qualities the OP mentioned.    It trumps the SS 3-9 HD in glass, turrets, weight, and price.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2019 at 08:18
except its been discontinued
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2019 at 08:53
And when made, it was heavier and more expensive.  I liked the illuminated version though.

The 3-9x42 SS is 8-9 ounces lighter than the 3-12 LRHS/LRTS and had about 20% more FOV at the same magnification (when above 3.5x).

LRHS has a little more mag range, whichis the trade-off.

ILya
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2019 at 09:23
i have both of those. Imo you’d be hard pressed to say the glass is better in the bushnell. If it is, its not easy to notice. 

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2019 at 09:23
Having used the 3-9 SS for several years, I always wanted it with low profile covered turrets and a 4A. Now that we have the 2.5-10 for hunters I am still hopeful of a 3-9 x 42. The 42mm objective just makes for better low light big game scope. 
Doug
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2019 at 10:07
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Having used the 3-9 SS for several years, I always wanted it with low profile covered turrets and a 4A. Now that we have the 2.5-10 for hunters I am still hopeful of a 3-9 x 42. The 42mm objective just makes for better low light big game scope. 

👍💥🦌......
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2019 at 17:06

I'd go for a 4A based reticle with a couple of extra hold points.  They do not get in the way, but help wit functionality.  That was sort of the original idea behind the reticle that became the G4.

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2019 at 17:07
I like it ILya
Doug
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2019 at 22:40

I like it ILya

I was messing with the ballistics of my 280Rem and 3mrad takes it out to 600 yards.  That is far more than needed for just about any hunting situation I may encounter.

With that in mind, I started sketching up different options.  I have a whole library of simple-ish FFP hunting reticles designed to basically look like #4 on low power, but offer just a little more capability on higher mags.

ILya
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2019 at 07:20
The G4 in the wonderful 1.5-8 x 32 Vortex Razor is quite good in low light. Something similar in the SS 3-9 would be great. I have used the SS in low light for coyote and it lacks good visibility at dusk and later.
Doug
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2019 at 07:57
Koshkin, I didn't know you designed the Vortex G4 reticle.  I love it on my 2-10x40 HDLH. 

Great job!
Stamp collecting since 2015
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2019 at 08:04
Originally posted by sucker76 sucker76 wrote:

Koshkin, I didn't know you designed the Vortex G4 reticle.  I love it on my 2-10x40 HDLH. 

Great job!

Designed is too big a word. I was trying to convince Vortex to use a modified #4 in a hunting scope. Apparently, they were working on the HD LH at the time, so they took my sketch, re-did the dimensions to match the BDC holds they normally use and ended up with G4 BDC.

It did not do great in the US, but apparently it is a popular reticle in Europe.

I think it would do better if the dot was illuminated, but I like it as is.  I have two 1.5-8x32 scopes with it.

ILya

Edited by koshkin - October/23/2019 at 11:25
GiantGreg View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GiantGreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2019 at 12:52
I was thinking something like this. 
If i did my math right  that would be  correct  with the fov on the ss3-9

Edited by GiantGreg - October/23/2019 at 15:17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic