OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex vs Vortex

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex vs Vortex
    Posted: November/01/2019 at 03:20

Im looking at two different Vortex scopes at the moment. 
Can anybody tell me the big difference between them except from the price, FFP and SSP?
I’m looking at:
Vortex Viper HST 6-24-50
And
Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24-50

Edited by Claus - November/01/2019 at 09:06
Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2019 at 10:01
When choosing between Vortex and Vortex, I think you should go with Vortex.

With that helpful tidbit out of the way...

HS-T is made in the Phillipines.  Diamondback Tactical is made in China.  Different designs and different OEMs.  I am not a huge fan of either, but they work OK.

The 6-24x50 HS-T is a bit better optically as I recall.  Turrets are weirdly decent on both and seem to track.

ILya
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2019 at 11:42
I guess i'll go for the Vortex then Big SmileBig Smile

I used to have a ordinary Viper, and i recall it as being a good scope for the money.
Not Zeiss or Swaro but a decent scope for hunting in dusk and dawn. The turrets were very firm in the click and accurate when turning them up and down on the range.

I don't know if these scopes are the same "standard" but it scratches in my ear when i hear China and Phillipines.

Oh Well....
Thats how i felt it with Japan and Taiwan too  many years back.

Thanks for the comment Ilya
Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2019 at 16:31
Claus, I have the Diamondback Tactical on one of my ARs... tracks well, glass is decent, reticle is "true"... so far.  I've spent a little time with it and have no real complaints... AOK for the money, better than I expected.  

HST, I tried one out, just did not really care for it.  Nothing in particular, but it just did not impress me.  Seemed a little "dim", to me... but that was a test article of 1.  I would not recommend against it, seemed OK, just did not really care for it.  Been a while, i did not take any notes on it, cannot remember exactly why it repulsed me... just remember it was kind of ho-hum.  It's a moderately priced scope that is probably worth what one pays for it.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2019 at 22:19
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Claus, I have the Diamondback Tactical on one of my ARs... tracks well, glass is decent, reticle is "true"... so far.  I've spent a little time with it and have no real complaints... AOK for the money, better than I expected.  

HST, I tried one out, just did not really care for it.  Nothing in particular, but it just did not impress me.  Seemed a little "dim", to me... but that was a test article of 1.  I would not recommend against it, seemed OK, just did not really care for it.  Been a while, i did not take any notes on it, cannot remember exactly why it repulsed me... just remember it was kind of ho-hum.  It's a moderately priced scope that is probably worth what one pays for it.

If memory serves me right, your tried a 4-16x50 HS-T, or at least I recall you talking about that configuration.  6-24x50 is better.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2019 at 23:46
ILya, the Diamondback I put on my 6.5 Grendel "overwatch" is 4-16.  The HS T I looked at was 6-24.  Don't remember I ever mentioned it on OT.  It was one I looked at in Yuma when I was shooting with the group of guys who were getting ready to go hunting. They all had Vortex scopes of varied configurations.  A walking, talking commercial for Vortex... they all really liked my SS10xHD. 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2019 at 00:25
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

ILya, the Diamondback I put on my 6.5 Grendel "overwatch" is 4-16.  The HS T I looked at was 6-24.  Don't remember I ever mentioned it on OT.  It was one I looked at in Yuma when I was shooting with the group of guys who were getting ready to go hunting. They all had Vortex scopes of varied configurations.  A walking, talking commercial for Vortex... they all really liked my SS10xHD. 

Thinking about it... somebody had a 4-16 HST, I just don't remember who.  Maybe the rifle I sighted in for my friend... it definitely was a Vortex.  

Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2019 at 11:43
Claus my friend! Is this for the new Tikka CTR I seem to think you are planning?

Scrummy
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2019 at 12:07
Yep. Cool

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic