OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

10x50 or 12x50...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ragincajun92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10x50 or 12x50...
    Posted: November/06/2019 at 04:28
Wondering which is the better option for glassing fields and normally stuff over 150 yards for whitetail deer hunting. Will one be better in low light over the other? Also is the 12x50 to shakey even if you are using in a tower stand without a tripod?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2019 at 08:17
So, first things first: glass quality beats magnification, meaning, you can have 50mm objectives on terrible glass that are nowhere near as clear as 42s of good glass - and even 32s of great glass.
And considering legal shooting times, your binos shouldn't be a problem (finding it on a scope is another issue.)
For all around use, my go-tos are 10x42s and they do everything very well. For stalking, I swap them for a lower power, larger FOV pair.

In my opinion, 12X is a special-purpose pair of binos, especially in hunting.

Lastly, how bright as a function of objective diameter does favor larger; however, many, many other factors play a part as well. And when you consider weight and size and maneuverability, the perfect hunting bino is a perfect blend of characteristics - and they differ by hunter.

I'd start with a quality 8x42 or 10x42 and see what you think.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2019 at 11:23
I have 7x42 and 10x42 binoculars and for general whitetail hunting in mixed cover and fields would take the 7x42 anytime
For stand hunting the 10x50 would be fine. Get quality glass and coatings, though.

Doug
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2019 at 09:08
I use a very high quality 8x32 and i find that it is about perfect for any kind of hunting in any kind of weather and light, from stand hunting on open forests and fields to open landscapes (mule deer and antelope).
It is also easy to carry and use on long hikes because of it's relatively small size and weight. I have never felt that the 8x32 is a limiting factor.
On the other hand, i have learned that i do not have time to use it in the dense heavy brush forest where i hunt these days (along deer trails). The deer keep going and i have to choose whether i use binoculars to see deer well, but waste time and opportunity for a shot, or i raise rifle, take a quick look through a low power wide angle, high quality, heavy reticle scope and decide to fire or not if there is a "window" and a good, safe shot.
Your hunting conditions may be different, but i would imagine that a good quality 8x42 is all that you need, even if you want or can afford the time to study slow/standing deer in an open field at dusk. Indeed, quality of optics is more important than magnification and size.  
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2019 at 17:19

Ask yourself what size you are willing to carry also for me a more compact mid size binocular does most of what I want and is more likely to be used more often.   12x50 is a lot of magnification without some type of support like shooting sticks or a tripod etc.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2019 at 06:42
Count me in the 8x32 club as well. I love the compactness and light weight, yet it’s not so small that you have to sacrifice optical performance much, if any. The key is to get a high quality 8x32. My Leica Ultravid HD has never left me wanting for better optical performance, and yet it’s about as small as it can be and still be ergonomically practical for long hours of steady glassing. I bought it 10 years or so ago and have seldom used any other bino since. During that decade, I have had it with me on countless hunts in all conditions and I have never felt limited by “too little magnification” or “too small of an objective lens diameter.” It has surprisingly great low light performance, allowing me to see details well before and after legal shooting hours. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic