OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Schmidt and Bender Klassik

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wadmalaw Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Schmidt and Bender Klassik
    Posted: November/15/2019 at 13:47
Can anyone tell me if the glass in the Klassik series is the same as as their other models? I know that the Klassik is assembled in Hungary vs Germany but not sure on the glass. I hunt in the Low Country of SC so a low light hunting scope is mandatory. Currently I am using a Trijicon Accupoint 56mm and a Meopta Meostar 50mm with the later being a tad better in low light. Does anyone have first hand knowledge to be able to compare the 3 scopes? Thank you 
" Tight Lines and good fishing"
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2019 at 22:11
sent you a PM. 
Wadmalaw Hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wadmalaw Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2019 at 09:22
Thank you
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2019 at 10:18
Fellow SC hunter here !!

I have several Schmidt and Benders. I also have a Zeiss Victory and some Swarovski PV's / PH's. I have had Leica and many Zeiss Conquests , Kahles, etc.

Klassik's are both produced in Germany and Hungary. The parts are the same but they are assembled in different countries. The Hungarian scopes are much cheaper due to the labor costs being so much lower in Hungary. I have 4-5 German Klassiks and a Hungarian and I see no difference in performance.

All Scmidt and Bender products use the same glass as far as I know. The Polar may have different coatings are something becasue they are touted as having better light transmission. Schmidt and Bender does not make a low end scope, so they are all top notch.  

I prefer Schmidt and Benders scopes. The fit and finish is the best to me. The adjustments are very positive and they hold their zero great. The low light performance is awesome. But after doing a lot of side by side comparisions, the other alpha glass is really about the same with subtle differences. Lots of people see best in low light with Zeiss, I happen not to. I see better with the Swarovski and SB glass, but it is not a huge difference.

All Schmidt and Benders are pretty much FFP reticles which are great for our type of hunting here. But the illuminated models are the best IMHO! All Schmidt and Benders I have used have some sidelight issues. And I have probably used a dozen. It has never cost me a shot but is kind of irretating some times, as it looks hazy right at first light or last light , when it is happening. The darker the shooting house or blind, the less it seems to happen. I don't notice it a lot anymore , but it does it if the light is hitting just right at dusk and dawn.

Edited by cbm - November/20/2019 at 10:29
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wadmalaw Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2019 at 20:55
Thanks CBM.....great info.  I'm seriously considering a Hungary model fixed 8X56 with IR. Most of my shots are in the 70-100 yard range and I like the idea of a scope that is point and shoot. I also read they have a slight advantage in low light over variable scopes because of the fewer number of lenses. We'll see, if I don't like it I have plenty of other scopes to fall back on. I haven't ruled out a 2-10X56 SB with IR. Thoughts on these 2 scopes for hunting in the Low Country?
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2019 at 21:46
I use the Klassik and two Stratos hunting the same low country type terrain as you in Georgetown County. I have to pay attention to my watch most of the time as I can still see way past legal with any ambient light. 

I’m actually picking up another one or two Klassiks to replace a few NF I have sold. 
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2019 at 15:44
For the hunting you are talking about, I can’t imagine anything better than a Klassik 8x56 with Illuminated reticle. I would probably choose an L3 reticle if it were me. 

Edited by cbm - November/29/2019 at 15:49
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2019 at 10:51
Great scope, but the only thing that would concern me would be if the FOV is good enough for the 70-100 yard range.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wadmalaw Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2019 at 10:12
Sparky, that was my only concern. I rarely crank up past 5 or 6 so 8 is quite a bit. I would trade off some FOV, IF the fixed set up would afford me an extra few minutes to make an ethical shot at dusk.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2019 at 11:23
If you’re hunting from a fixed position in a stand/blind where deer will be in a calm state most of the time, 8x is not too much for 70-100 yard shots, though in a fixed power scope, I would lean toward 6X instead. Below 50 yds or so, where a lot of shots are made at deer in the woods, 8x is a bit much IMO...doable, but I’d want a lot more FOV in the event you need to acquire a moving animal.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic