OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon is Exiting the Rifle Scope Business

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon is Exiting the Rifle Scope Business
    Posted: November/20/2019 at 07:15
Can anyone confirm?

Hope it is ok to post a link.

Steve
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2019 at 07:23
Yep, I heard that as well. They seemed to be signaling that direction a few years ago as they became increasingly less relevant and unwilling to try to compete. I like their cameras, but stopped being interested in any of their sports optics offerings long ago.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2019 at 11:35
I've long thought that their cameras were pretty hot but there rifle scopes were at best so-so. There was 1 exception, I really liked their rimfire 3-9x40 EFR. Think that's a great little scope.

Scrummy
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2019 at 11:51
The Monarch UCC were good scopes that competed well with the Bushnell 4200 Elite several years back. I picked up a few and still have them. 
Sorry to see them go
Doug
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2019 at 14:56
Their Monarch Gold 30 mm scopes have performed very well. All mine were made in Japan as are two Monarch UCC that I also have.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2019 at 16:16
Long overdue.
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2019 at 21:11
everything I ever had with their name on it broke. Had one last two whole shots from a 7mm08. IMO, they’ve always made junk. 
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2019 at 08:11
I’ve used Nikon Camera equipment since the 80s. The 35mm lenses they built at that time are still among the toughest and most reliable you can find. The camera bodies were as any too. Digital is a different game. Technological advances are more important. They dragged they’re feet, especially when it came to mirrorless. Sony owned that market before Nikon released anything. I have thousands of dollars worth of Nikon glass which is the only reason I’m still using Nikon bodies. That they are discontinuing rifle scopes, is not a shock. 
CJarvis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJarvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2019 at 15:59
I can't say I'm surprised either. Too many better options IMO.

I just hope this doesn't bode ill for the rest of their products. I just bought a D750 DSLR.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2019 at 09:20
Their sports optics division, metrology division, and camera division operate like entirely different companies. I always had the impression that they never really put much resources or effort into their sports optics, relatively speaking.

I don’t think there’s any concern about them abandoning camera products, as they just introduced an entirely new lens mount system (Z mount) and new high end mirrorless bodies to go with them.

I like their nicer camera products but have never been a fan of most of their sport optics save for a couple binos they used to offer.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2019 at 11:07
They're loss to the handgun optics sector will be felt. I loved their 2 and 2.5-8X and considered them to be some of the best offerings in the industry.
Steve
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2019 at 15:41
Nikon's muzzle loader scope with ballistic reticle has been very useful.  I also have the 2.5-8 pistol scope both of which have been good tools.  The muzzle loader scope I had two years is better than the first generation that they  made of it. 
Burris is the line I have had the most product failure issues with but their fixed power  1x scout scopes were tough as nails .... until they quit making it. ....... 
Sometimes it baffles me why scope manufacturers discontinue a product nobody else makes that is a really useful tool, but I've seen almost all of them do it. I can only guess that like most large organizations idiots float to the top levels of management.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tucansam View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tucansam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2019 at 14:28
Staying in the spotting scope and bino markets, I hope?
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2019 at 12:25
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Nikon's muzzle loader scope with ballistic reticle has been very useful.  I also have the 2.5-8 pistol scope both of which have been good tools.  The muzzle loader scope I had two years is better than the first generation that they  made of it. 
Burris is the line I have had the most product failure issues with but their fixed power  1x scout scopes were tough as nails .... until they quit making it. ....... 
Sometimes it baffles me why scope manufacturers discontinue a product nobody else makes that is a really useful tool, but I've seen almost all of them do it. I can only guess that like most large organizations idiots float to the top levels of management.

Everyone rises to their level of incompetence....and then they get PROMOTED to get them the hell out of there!!   
Visit the Ed Show
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2019 at 13:55
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

While every organization has its share of idiots, manufacturers generally discontinue products that do not sell.

ILya

JakeJake View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JakeJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2021 at 09:30
This post was a piling piece of spam, so it got deleted.

Edited by koshkin - June/20/2021 at 17:47
BorisxArnolde View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BorisxArnolde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2023 at 02:45
Hey there, fellow Nikon fan! I saw the post about their exit from the rifle scope biz, and it's sad news.
BorisxArnolde View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BorisxArnolde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2023 at 02:45
Originally posted by BorisxArnolde BorisxArnolde wrote:

Hey there, fellow Nikon fan! I saw the post about their exit from the rifle scope biz, and it's sad news.

I agree, their cameras are top-notch, but their sports optics just didn't keep up. It's a bummer, but it's the reality of the market.Sadly to admit that many businesses are out of the market. It's a new reality we have to deal with now. Seeing giant players like Nikon leaving the market makes others terrified. How can small and medium businesses remain on float then? I run a small business, and I'm worried about my future.

Edited by Bigdaddy0381 - February/09/2023 at 04:24
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2023 at 04:26
I still have an older Nikon scope and its good for what it is. I hate Nikon bailed. 

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2023 at 07:24
I had a couple of Monarch UCCs and I still have an oldie from the eighties when they first came out--a 4 X 40. 
Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic