OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

My first of the year...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2019 at 08:19
I saw something yesterday so odd I passed on hunting and just observed for over an hour and well past shooting time.  I have a buck coming to my property that I've only seen very near dark all season (and in previous seasons)... however, until yesterday I thought he was a doe.  He came up earlier than he normally does and very close and I saw that he had "equipment" a doe does not possess.  However, there is no indication of antlers, no nubs (and he is at least 3 years old and weighs in the 110-120lb range), no sign he has ever had antlers.  I watched him with binoculars (Canon 8x IS) for nearly an hour... I hate to admit it, but I do SOMETIMES use binoculars...  I've never seen a buck of that age that just had NO SIGN of antlers... his head was as smooth and clean as the doe standing next to him.  
Weird to me...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2019 at 08:25
Maybe he's a transgendeer.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2019 at 08:29
Maybe...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2019 at 11:38
It's all it's mother's fault!  She wanted a doe...
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2019 at 17:08
Spent today setting up some new stand sites... got tired of the ELR stuff.  I can now easily get shots at 20-25 yards.  Really makes my ballistic calculations easy... I can ALMOST ignore wind.  

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2019 at 22:37
Iva had bucks come up and rub their antlers on the ladder stand i was sitting in.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2019 at 05:26
Be careful Dan, might need to compensate for coriolis effect at that range.
God save the Empire!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2019 at 08:38
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Iva had bucks come up and rub their antlers on the ladder stand i was sitting in.

I've heard of that happening, seen a couple of videos of similar things... never had a deer do that.  I once, EARLY in the morning... before daylight, headed to a stand... encountered a herd of deer.  I ducked into a bush and the herd passed me by without knowing I was there until I reached out and touched one... it got exciting for a few seconds... no one stomped me.  

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2019 at 08:39
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Be careful Dan, might need to compensate for coriolis effect at that range.
I think at that range it is only on the equator...

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2019 at 09:39
You mean at knife range or you could have bludgeoned it to death...
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2019 at 08:13
Nice buck man!! I haven't heard much from any of my family and friends in AL. Nice to see a good one down!

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2019 at 08:30
Originally posted by cbm cbm wrote:

Nice buck man!! I haven't heard much from any of my family and friends in AL. Nice to see a good one down!

Thank you.  There are a couple of nice ones that are fully nocturnal... it's like they knew exactly when gun season opened because I've only seen them at 2200 or later and disappear by around 0300 since.  I guess that is why they are so much bigger... smarter.  One is a 10 point, one an 8 point... much bigger than the one I got.  I guess at least they are spreading their genes into the pool.  

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2019 at 08:44
I've held off on taking another deer this year... 3 does have babies that just went out of spots... two that look pregnant.  North Alabama breeding seasons still weird.  The only bucks I've seen in shooting hours are young... a couple of very young spikes, a 4-point, a 7-point.  Way young.  

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2020 at 17:51
Front yard about 30 minutes ago...

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2020 at 18:52
You have some nice deer in your area Dan!
Doug
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2020 at 17:53
Looks to be young, 2 1/2 not more than 3 1/2. Great genetics!! If you can keep him alive for 2 or 3 more yrs you should have some nice trophies for several yrs to come. Have you found any sheds from him or similar deer? Next 20 days is prime for shed hunting. Find a stretch of dog wire about 6 or 8 ft long 4 ft high and staple it to some post or trees and put corn right at the bottom line. It works good for hanging up and pulling loose antlers.
Salute!

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2020 at 21:04
That deer is at least 3 years old... I've been watching him grow.  I doubt he will make through this year.  The illegal hunters are out in force.  
If you don't get sheds in the first couple of days, squirrels, rats, nutria and woodchucks chew them up.  Antlers have only been "nicer" in the last couple of years, anyway, and, due to work and family, I have not hunted on my property since about 2009...until the buck I shot this year.  I've had to pass on several really nice ones due to a limitation I have right now.  I had to cancel my Africa trip for this year... trying to get it set up for next year.  Going to be devoting some time to hand loading.

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2020 at 09:34
Did he just say that out loud?!?!?!?  Roll on Floor Laughing
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2020 at 16:12
He did... 

Some more bucks... the big one is "atypical", very odd rack.  Nice, though:

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2020 at 17:25
New buck showed up today, he is a 10 point...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic