OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Over Under Shotgun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2020 at 21:22
If I was looking for a shotgun and did not want to sink a lot of money I would pick up a single shot Henry they just started makeing those last year.  As far as over under the only one I ever  owned was a Belgium Browning 20 ga  improved / modified  ( back before anyone ever heard of choke tubes)
The Beretta and Browning guns are the ones to look at.  Selection depends on use.  I personally have seen the wear and tear that hunting ducks and geese puts on a shotgun around salt water but my dad was not the best at maintaining his Model 12 Win.  I've looked at the cheaper over under guns and the action does not have the same feel as a Browning.  I have an old single shot 12 ga Winchester with a short barrel and a couple of riot guns and they kill turkeys just fine.  When I was growing up in Texas I always had a 12 ga pump from Sears made by Mossberg but it was deadly.  I will suggest you consider   https://www.gunadapters.com/    these chamber adapters.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2020 at 06:38
CZ makes nice shotguns for the money I think. My first sxs  was a Bobwhite in 12ga that handled great and if it didn’t have them funky bulges in the end of barrels I’d probably still have it.  
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2020 at 08:46
20ga will kill all that flys with the right ammo.   buddy just picked up a franchi 20 semi this year and started using Boss ammo after I turned him onto it.   he killed snow geese no problem at the same ranges I was with my 12ga.   ammo selection will negate the 20ga being "under gunned"
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2020 at 09:01
Maybe, but a 20 will never be the equal of a 12. 
I have used 12, 20 and 28 ga. on pheasant through the years. The 28 is closer to the 20 than the 20 is to the 12. When the birds are flushing further out I would always rather have a 12 ga. 
Where I stand now is 12 for waterfowl and turkey. The 28 exclusively for grouse and woodcock and pheasant in close. Pheasant flushing out far, a 12.
Doug
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2020 at 10:20
Food for thought...........I hate the newer (last 20yrs) O/U's of any that have been brought to me for repair or consignment. Breech is way too stiff and the inner components are monkey metal junk. If I felt I had to have a O/U I would look for something built mid 60's to late 70's. Most of those I have handled were really well built and never needed more than cleaning.

Also I don't like anything under 12ga for live game unless you have become proficient beforehand.
20ga is fine for skeet/trap.

Here are a few on G Broker.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/844782202    Ithaca Model 600 Skeet Gun

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/856216078    Beretta pre 686 S56E european model O/U 20 ga

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/855237785    Browning Superposed Midas Grade 12GA 26.5"

Good Luck with it!!

Salute!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2020 at 11:28
20 ga for occasional trap. Very few on the line 
Doug
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2020 at 22:02
Sounds like the majority is saying 12 ga. Do like the idea of 20 ga for a lighter shotgun but want to cover the widest range. I may never own more than this one over under so want it to count. 
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2020 at 22:24

A 12 gauge will give you more versatility for upland, waterfowl and clays, especially trap. For barrel length I find the 28 in. gives better balance than 26 or 30 inch and has a nice sighting plane, yet still quick to shoulder and point. The LOP is also a variable that can be influenced by drop at the comb and pistol, straight or Prince of Wales grips. Only you can determine what fits. So, don’t get hooked up on the numbers because if it comes up and is on plane every time is what matters.

Without spending a ton, Beretta’s are nice. They have wonderful slim actions due to the locking mechanism. My brother, coyote95, and another friend both have sets of 12, 20  and 28 gauge. Beretta’s. They are beautiful, lock up tight and solid. They hold their value and are very sexy. They are about the best handling stack barrels for me.

Browning Citori’s  are reliable and always lock up tight. They can be found used for a reasonable cost and there are smiths everywhere. Three of my friends have them in 12 gauge and never a problem. They are a bit clunky compared to a Beretta due to the locking and not as “sexy”, though.

CZ’s are a Turkish made gun and mine is a DeHaan S01 straight stock that is made in the same Huglu cooperative. A DeHaan is essentially a handpicked CZ off the same manufacturing process. The CZ and DeHaan do have slight bulges on the barrel ends because they are swaged open for the traditional screw in chokes. Aesthetically, they don’t bother me. I have also had similar problems with my Dehaan that Dan has had. I have to give it a bump on opening and mine is a little 28 ga. SxS. For the money they are nice.

SKB are another Turkish gun, but made by Akus. They are higher quality than Huglu. Mine is a 200 SxS 28 gauge with Prince of Wales stock and it is tighter than my Huglu. There are no barrel bulges either because of the thin walled chokes. It also has much nicer Turkish walnut. I would not hesitate on an SKB. They are made from the same Japanese prints as before, O/U and SxS.

I have a matched set of Winchester 101 Pigeon Grade’s from the late 60’s/70’s, 20 and 12 ga. You can find them for a fair price and they are tight and well made. My  101 12 gauge could handle all puddle jumping for ducks and upland hunting.

Great site for info

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/

http://www.dawsonsdoubles.com/

Doug
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2020 at 17:54
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/855943453

Would this be worth it? Lost lop at 13-5/8 which would be pretty good for me I think. 
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2020 at 17:57
Should be a good one and somebody already shortened it
Doug
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2020 at 20:28
Just MY thoughts on it, which will probably be different than many or even most... but that's the way I roll...
Fine shotgun, no doubt about it.  However, unless you just REALLY want this one, I think it is overpriced.  I would pay a max of $1000.00.  Just me.  If it is in perfect condition and you really want it, $100.00 above average price is not that bad.  It's pretty, it will (given great condition) shoot great, it's one of those personal calls.  $100.00 is almost nothing these days.  I could almost talk myself into it.  Overall, it's a really good shotgun.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2020 at 22:33
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/854086153   doesnt say how its choked full would be a mistake with steel shot.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2020 at 06:11
i would first have to ? the photo with the rear part of rib, looks like it could be bent ? you can get a new SKB 690 for that kind of change Smile
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2020 at 06:24
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/854086153   doesnt say how its choked full would be a mistake with steel shot.

Says full and modified in the description at the bottom of the listing.

Andrew, I don’t think you can go wrong with a Red Label if it fits you. They aren’t fancy ( though you can sometimes find some with really nice wood), but they are solidly made and very reliable. I have one in 20 ga from when they were first introduced, back when they had blued receivers. 

Kev and Doug (or anyone), have you ever played with any of the Fausti mid range shotguns? Not the ones Fausti OEM’ed for other brands like Weatherby... like, say the Class O/U or DEA S/S?

Edited by RifleDude - February/14/2020 at 06:29
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2020 at 07:09
I don't know about that Red Label, but I have one of the 2nd issue Red Labels and I love mine; it fits me, and as long as I do my part, it breaks birds. But remember, I'm no shotgun expert.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2020 at 07:35
Another thought, you don't want to take a big loss if it turns out you just don't like it. If you choose one on G/B watch to see if others are bidding. No bids doesn't always mean over priced but usually does. Or at the time the demand is low due to season. I noticed those that I suggested have no bids with 1 to 3 days left. So I looked for others like those for comparison. Here is one just listed that might be a contender. Shows use but looks to be a good shotgun.

20ga.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/850589071    SKB Model 600 20 gauge O/U

Good Luck!

Salute!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2020 at 08:06
Personally, unless you know what you want, I'd want to handle and shoulder a shotgun before I bought it. Kind of hard to do that on the internet.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2020 at 08:47
What BF said....
Doug
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2020 at 08:49
I've never played with a Fausti.  But the Fausti sisters....
Doug
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2020 at 10:35
I have a Weatherby Orion Field Grade III and it is a fantastic shotgun. I am not sure if they still make them but I would buy a used one in good shape in a heartbeat. 

12 gauge and easy to shoot all day long. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic