OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Over Under Shotgun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2020 at 12:13
Went to the local store. They don't have a lot of over unders, but did have one with a 14" lop. Maverick. Felt ok but still a little long. The others they had with 14-1/2 felt really long. 

Honestly the feel I like the best so far is the youth single shot 20 ga I have for pest around the house. I like the short lop and shorter barrel and how fast it points. 

Would like to move to a over/under for pheasant hunting and upland game bird. 

Guess overall the short lop and barrel options seem more appealing. Need to get to a bigger store and city to handle more of them. 
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2020 at 13:04
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I've never played with a Fausti.  But the Fausti sisters....

So you’ve played with the Fausti sisters? Good to know! 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2020 at 17:23
I know this is out of reach but Boss & Co Best Quality side lock ejector shotguns don't show up often.
Like a lot of old guns that extra full choke is a problem today, but its a cool old gun.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2020 at 17:29
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I know this is out of reach but Boss & Co Best Quality side lock ejector shotguns don't show up often.
Like a lot of old guns that extra full choke is a problem today, but its a cool old gun.

😳 52k for a 15" lop. Did king kong own that thing?

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2020 at 20:20
Hey Andrew, this may just be a case of you not being accustomed to shooting shotguns and the correct way to shoulder them. I don't shoot shotguns very much, but I've always heard you want a shotgun to have 1" to 1.5" greater LOP than whatever LOP is ideal for you on a rifle. This is why you're seeing LOPs on shotguns between 14-15". The reasons: a shotgun has a much lower comb and the butt stock slopes downward, putting your cheek lower on the stock so that your eye naturally lines up with the barrel rib, which is much lower to the receiver than a scope on a rifle. Also, when shouldering a shotgun, you smoothly swing it up to your cheek first before pulling it back into your shoulder. You bring the shotgun butt to your cheek rather than lowering your cheek to the stock. 

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2020 at 20:28
Ted, you very well could be right.  As seems to be the norm.  Need to get somewhere and with someone that can show me the proper way to hold it and proper stance.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2020 at 20:48
Take a trap class. I did and my averages went up on birds too.
Doug
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2020 at 21:07
Doug and/or Kevin,
While we're on the subject of double-barreled shotguns, I'd be interested in hearing your take on O/U vs S/S. Which do you prefer and why? Which helps you get higher hit % on birds (if either)? What do you see as the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Thanks!
Ted

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2020 at 05:17
Old truism: “If God had wanted you to shoot an O/U he’d have stacked you eyes on top of each other.”
God save the Empire!
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2020 at 07:36
I have a few reasons and the first gun I bird hunted with in 1970 was a 30 inch SxS 12 gauge that I still have. Many years ago I mentioned double guns to a good friend and when I showed him my O/U, he quickly pointed out that there is only one double gun and that is a SxS. He showed his double guns and I have been hooked since. He passed away in 2018, I am forever grateful for him being a friend and mentor.
Stack barrels, even Beretta's, have a much higher profile in the receiver. It is far more comfortable for me to grasp a SxS and carry all day long than an O/U. I can grasp a smaller gauge over under from the side but it just doesn't balance the same. I have been using SxS for upland exclusively since 2009.
My shooting has never been better on birds than with double guns. 
...........and what Craig said
Doug
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2020 at 08:32
For upland, what is your go to ammo? Do you use 3" or stick with 2-3/4" and why?

GEORGE WASHINGTON
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2020 at 08:53
2 3/4 inch; 5 and 6 shot for pheasant in 12 gauge, 7 1/2 & 8 for grouse and woodcock in 20 and 28. I have used 7 1/2 28 gauge for released pheasant in close.
I see no need for 3 inch regarding upland. Throws a bigger pattern if you are so inclined to pound your shoulder.
Doug
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2020 at 10:21
Agree with Doug about ammo for upland hunting, 11/8 oz is all you need and old shoulders will thank you.. When waterfowl hunting using my son’s Beretta Black Onyx will up the game to 3” #2 steel for duck and BB for geese over decoys.

Have you checked for used Browning BSS? Well thought of around here back in the day.

God save the Empire!
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2020 at 11:37
We use these just about exclusively on crow and anything bigger. Have even taken turkey out to 30yds. Very impressive patterns and kill power. Buy them buy the case and save a few bucks.

Estate Cartridge High Velocity Hunting Load 12 Gauge Ammunition 2-3/4" Shell #5 Lead Shot 1-1/4oz 1330fps
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2020 at 13:05
With a SxS or O/U, will they be similar as far as aim? With two barrels they have to me aligned at a certain distance? SxS would be left or right hitting at a range closer or farther than that point? O/U would be high or low when not at that point?

GEORGE WASHINGTON
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2020 at 13:21
Ideally, and whether up or down or right to left, the patterns should overlap at 40 yards. That is where cheap double barreled guns and higher quality double barreled guns usually differ.
Doug
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2020 at 15:51
As Doug said regulation is setup for 40 yards and takes some skill to accomplish so important to check on less expensive doubles. I prefer double triggers and M, I/C chokes for my bird hunting (my gun has fixed chokes). With my shotgun the front trigger fires the more open choke in the right barrel and the rear trigger the left (modified choke) barrel.
God save the Empire!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2020 at 18:45
Got to another store. They had a CZ Quail in 20 ga. Has a 13-3/4 in lop. Had an amazing feel to me. Used Ted's instructions of cheek first then shoulder  andthat shotgun lined up every time. 
Tried a couple pointer 12 ga with 14-1/2 and couldn't get the same feel.  

GEORGE WASHINGTON
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2020 at 06:08
Andrew if it feels good and you like it buy it ! my first o/u was a 20 and still have it.    you can always get a 12,16,28 and 410 later Smile                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Dogger loved the explanation of why the sxs                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Ted  i have decided to keep things simple for me and hunt with the same 686's just different size frames   that way there i cant blame the gun lol     I do really love the sight picture of the sxs and will hunt with one again.  Thank you Doug !                                                                                                Ted you also wood look good wearing a DEA  Wink                                                                                                          

Edited by coyote95 - February/17/2020 at 06:14
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2020 at 08:34
Originally posted by coyote95 coyote95 wrote:

Ted you also wood look good wearing a DEA  Wink                                                     

I totally, 100% agree with you! 

But my bank account would look decidedly “less good.”
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic