OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ashai Pentax 6x25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ashai Pentax 6x25
    Posted: February/11/2020 at 13:02
Here's a nice little pair of binocs'

Sold cheap as " Selling as spares or repairs because the focusing/zoom mechanism in the center is stuck. The individual eye focusing mechanism is also stuck."

I do not expect any real problems with this. A common problem if they have been kept/stored under poor conditions.

A straight forward tear down, clean and re-lube. Get a lot of this with WW2 binoculars normally.
DPI View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2020 at 04:55
Well as suspected the only thing wrong with these was the really old lubrication medium.

The central focusing assembly was entirely seized up with this dried up light grey old lubricant. Extracting the focusing shaft and cleaning it was straight forward so now that works.

The individual ocular focusing is due to the same reason but is presenting problems because the unit is so small its difficult get a firm grip on it. So I removed all the glass from the ocular; and it and the focusing support arm are soaking in WD40 in the hope it will slowly permutate into the old lubricant and free it up a bit, to allow it to be removed and cleaned

Edited by DPI - February/20/2020 at 12:46
gunut View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2020 at 10:12
you have way more patience the I have...the whole unit would have found a brick wall by now if they were mine...
gunut
DPI View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2020 at 11:00
Well a man's got to have a hobby. Keeps me off the streets and away from loose women and beer
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2020 at 02:30
Hi DPI,

If WD40 alone isn't working, try a mix of WD40 and 3in1 oil (Basically pour out some 3in1, spray in WD40 and stir).

Not sure why it works but a classic car restorer told me about it and it does seem to work well, particularly small and fine threads.

Those little Pentaxs are sweet binos. My Dad has a vintage pair somewhere.

Scrummy
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
DPI View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2020 at 02:44
Many thanks, I'll try that.

Generally I find WD40 and time generally work. But anything that speeds things up a bit is welcome.

This thing is close tolerance and filled with old, dry lube compound. so its a matter of trying to get enough lubricant to soak into the old dry lube, to free things up a bit. It takes time though. so far my all time record is three months and that was trying to remove steel set screws that had rusted into a prism mounting. Eventually they all came out ok.
DPI View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2020 at 09:27
Well finished at last. All the old lubricant removed, stripped down cleaned and put back together again, fully operational now.

Just a little touch up on the frame where corrosion has got to black enamel. That's it

Going to give them to the wife.

Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2020 at 06:11
Really nice job!!
DPI View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2020 at 07:01
Oh she was thrilled, really thrilled.

I did point out that they were shiny and therefore qualified as a gift under our marital arrangements.Cool

A strong lecture ensued on the differences between shiny and !SHINY!.

Edited by DPI - March/01/2020 at 02:05
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2020 at 07:54
Great job Don!
God save the Empire!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2020 at 08:19
Nice work!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2020 at 00:43
Originally posted by DPI DPI wrote:

Oh she was thrilled, really thrilled.

I did point out that they were shiny and therefore qualified as a gift under our marital arrangements.Cool

A strong lecture ensured on the differences between shiny and !SHINY!.

Ah yes!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic