OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR 4X32?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR 4X32?
    Posted: October/05/2006 at 11:04

Ease of Use?

Has anyone used this scope?  Is the eye relief/alignment very critical on this scope?

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2006 at 11:29

http://www.valdada.com/vn/ior/02a 

At 3.5 inches of eye relief yes it is a little short if you are shooting something that kicks really hard.

It's a fixed 4x it is therefore idiot proof - ease of use rating  100%

Should be a good scope  but if you need more eye relief the Leupold has 4 inches or eye relief:

LEU58550 Leupold 4x33 FX-II Riflescope                               Leupold 4x33 FX-II Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Wide Duplex
  • 1"
  • Multi-Coat 4 Lens System
SWFA: $269.95
More Info...

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2006 at 17:58
IOR 4x32 has a fair amount of eye relief and it is pretty non-critical. 

It sure seemed more than 3.5" inches to me, but I did not measure it.  The glass is quite superb though and the scope is very durable.

ILya
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2006 at 20:11
Thanks koshkin, finally glad to hear something about this scope. I am a fixed 4X fan and was looking at this scope. I have found that a quality fixed glass has better resolution than a variable in any given line of scopes. Maybe you can help me with this, though it is apples to oranges. The price to performance on the 3x9 4200 has really caught my attention. Would you put the optic quality of this variable in the same league as the 4X IOR? I do own several variables but I guess I'm still being too conservative to go with variables on most of my big game guns..........Thanks
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2006 at 22:39
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Thanks koshkin, finally glad to hear something about this scope. I am a fixed 4X fan and was looking at this scope. I have found that a quality fixed glass has better resolution than a variable in any given line of scopes. Maybe you can help me with this, though it is apples to oranges. The price to performance on the 3x9 4200 has really caught my attention. Would you put the optic quality of this variable in the same league as the 4X IOR? I do own several variables but I guess I'm still being too conservative to go with variables on most of my big game guns..........Thanks

That would be the king of all apples to oranges comparisons, right there.

I have not played with that particular Elite 4200 yet, but assuming it is of the same optical quality as the rest of the Elite 4200 line-up, IOR is a bit better.  That means that at 4x, IOR will be a little clearer.  Perhaps not brighter (it is very hard to compare brightness at low magnifications), but it will resolve a little better.  Also, IOR is available with a 4A reticle which is pretty thick visible and does not disappear easily in low light.

If you like 4x scopes, you can't go wrong with this IOR, but if you simply want an allround scope a 3-9x40 scope is a better choice.  If all you do with the rifle inquestion is hunt big game within 250-300 yards, 4x is plenty though.  For load development, etc, it is nice to be able to dial up the magnificaiton a bit.

ILya
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2006 at 12:30

ILya, you are making a variable convert out of me. I have done plenty of searches on brightness, twighlight factor, etc. and find that having more power at dawn and dusk can give a better picture. I have taken mule deer at 300 yards with a 4X Burris FF with no problems, this was in good light, though. I have a Helia 2.2-9 on my 700KS and it is quite bright when cranked up at 1/2 hour after sun set. So I guess the 4200 would be the way to go. What I will do this evening is look through my 7X42 Zeiss binos, if my older 4X B&L Balfor picks up the same object at approximately 200 yards I will still consider the IOR. This 4X B&L was pretty close to the old 4X Zeiss at the time. I don't want to miss a chance at a good buck because I can't sight what I found through the binoculars.

So I believe there may be some merit to twighlight factor if all other things( exit pupil, coatings, etc. ) are equal. I have looked at some thin lense theory from physics II and see really no help there and your expertise goes far beyond what I can gather. Funny how we keep certain books instead of selling back to the book store. Another thing regarding theory, mechanics seems to be the field in engineering where change has been stagnant. Most of the progress, optically, has been in the chemical and manufacturing areas. Of course the EE folks have a lot to do with this in terms of manufacturing.

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2006 at 18:55
7:32 was the end of legal time here in Michigan. I had a couple of does out at 125 yards which were easily seen in the 7X42 binoculars. I couldn't pick them up in the Balfor until the tail flagged. Not good enough for the shot. A 3-12X44 Signature wasn't much better at 4X but when I cranked it up to 6X I could have made the shot. At 7X it was just as good and started to loose it around 8X or so. Interesting was  that a 1.5-5X20  Vari X III was still good for the shot at 5X, not at 4X. Any ways I'll be getting the 4200. Getting back to the 4X IOR, Rusty, the fixed is definitely easier to use and no doubt will give you a very clear view. If you are going to depend on it for shots at dawn or dusk with any distance, you might want to look at a 6X if you want a fixed power.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2006 at 07:48

I have a .284 Win in a Savage 99........ I want set this set up for deer hunting as a back up to my 30-06 and/or  for my 12 yr old.  Eye relief is a major consideration as well as clarity and low light.  Here is where my conundrum starts...... I really like the 6X42 Leupold VXIII, but worry about a shot at close range..... like less than 50 yards..... Might use it in a treestand or in timber where 25 yard shots are common.  For this reason, I'm thinking a 4x would be better, but Leupold doesn't make one in the VXIII line.  After reading this post..... I want the benefits of the 6x for low light! 

Has anyone out there used a 6x for close shots?  I have killed many running deer at close ranges, but always had my 3-9 turned down to 3 or 4x.

take em!
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2006 at 08:20
I have my 6X42 AO Leupold on an airgun. I use it for 10-15 yard shots all of the time at raccoons. None of them are on the move like a deer but the field of view is not a problem. Most of the shots are in total darkness with a Surefire mounted to the gun.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic