OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Poor CS - GemTech

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poor CS - GemTech
    Posted: February/18/2020 at 10:17
So this weekend I was going to sight in a new blackout build.... used a BSF Carbon barrel on this build and was anxious to put rounds down range.  16" barrel shooting Hornady Black 110VMAX using the above suppressor.   After a few rounds notice I couldn't get on paper and started investigating what was going on.   The barrel twist was so fast it was shred the jackets of the Vmaxs and fragmenting everywhere.  All to late to notice the very end of my suppressor had taken a hit and has slight but noticeable damage.  Called Gemtech today and they kindly informed me they won't repair or fix and to enjoy my expensive paperweight in not so many words.  
The endcap appears to be able to be removed and replaced but they don't sell the parts or fix so what to do now with this expensive paperweight.   Not sure how damaged structurally it is but I do know this. i'm going to keep using it until it lets loose given it can't be fixed and I can assure you no more GemTechs will be purchased by me.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2020 at 10:19
2 lessons learned. 
always test fire without a can even with supersonic ammo

never buy another gemtech product
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2020 at 10:40
Dang, that is crazy they won't repair it.  Hard to believe they won't even if it is on your dime.  That just makes no sense to me. 

I own one Gemtech and quite like it, but after that kind of CS I surely won't be buying another one of theirs. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2020 at 11:30
They wouldn't even sell you a new one at a discount price??
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2020 at 11:43
Nope basically told me I was S.O.L.  not repairable and they don't have parts to do so.

Edited by SVT_Tactical - February/18/2020 at 12:01
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2020 at 12:26
That sucks, I’ve been told the same by other companies about products in past... no spare parts, not repairable, out of warranty, etc. due to safety reasons, etc. but when I asked if they could sell me a new one at a discount price I don’t remember one to say no... except B*****t... they suck too... zing!
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2020 at 12:44
yeah but the discount don't help the $200 tax stamp!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2020 at 13:47
Can you remove the end cap? If so, it shouldn’t be too hard to make another one. If it’s removable, I can likely reverse engineer it and CAD it up. Then, you can either take my drawing to a machine shop if you’re in a hurry or I could machine one for you if you don’t mind waiting. Then, send the finished part out to be nitrided and - voila! - good as new!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2020 at 14:13
The end cap is often the final piece in the mashed potato hell that is your baffles/internals.

If it is that easy, there you go, problem solved. I hope it is that easy!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2020 at 14:28
If the piece is removable, then yes, it is that easy. I work for a CNC machine manufacturer and have approximately $8 million worth of machines under power 50 ft behind my office. There is no magic to it, it’s a simple part. I can hold as tight or tighter tolerances as the manufacturer who made the part. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2020 at 14:35
Excellent
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2020 at 14:47
Government jobs usually pay pretty good as well!

Ted, maybe you can reverse engineer the entire suppressor and set up a cottage industry. I’m sure the Donald would appreciate your initiative.
God save the Empire!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2020 at 15:17
Making a suppressor is an NFA regulated activity. I wouldn’t touch that. What I see there is a fancy “washer” with a circular hole pattern in it. I’d have no knowledge or control over how someone used a fancy washer someone requested to be made. It’s a machine demo.Whistling
Ted

Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2020 at 15:33
That looks like a manufacturing defect to me, the hole is just a little off center Wink

I would call back and ask to speak to someone else. Go up the food chain. 

But I will say this is what Apple told me when I took my Iphone 4S in and asked them for a new battery. I was willing to pay for it, but no. They had to load some software on my phone, connect it to one of their Ipads and see where my battery condition fell on a graph. I had to be below some line in order for them to sell me a battery. 

I said ok, and have been an Android user ever since. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2020 at 15:47
G, have you shot it with the can removed to verify the bullets are indeed spinning apart vs striking baffles? It’s possible that the threaded connection on your can isn’t perfectly concentric with the hole in the baffles. The IDs in your baffles and end cap could all be perfectly concentric with their ODs, but if the threaded connection at the barrel runs out and doesn’t orient the whole assembly C/L Concentric with bore C/L...you could have a geometrically perfect replacement part and it would be moot.
Ted

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2020 at 17:53
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

If the piece is removable, then yes, it is that easy. I work for a CNC machine manufacturer and have approximately $8 million worth of machines under power 50 ft behind my office. There is no magic to it, it’s a simple part. I can hold as tight or tighter tolerances as the manufacturer who made the part. 

I took what jeff meant as if the endcap is damaged then likely the baffles are tore up to. Which might not be an easy fix
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2020 at 17:55
Originally posted by Lockjaw Lockjaw wrote:

That looks like a manufacturing defect to me, the hole is just a little off center Wink

I would call back and ask to speak to someone else. Go up the food chain. 

But I will say this is what Apple told me when I took my Iphone 4S in and asked them for a new battery. I was willing to pay for it, but no. They had to load some software on my phone, connect it to one of their Ipads and see where my battery condition fell on a graph. I had to be below some line in order for them to sell me a battery. 

I said ok, and have been an Android user ever since. 

Its pretty simple to change the battery in an iphone. You can buy them with all the tools on amazon for $20ish. I have probably changed 20 of them. 

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2020 at 18:37
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I took what jeff meant as if the endcap is damaged then likely the baffles are tore up to. Which might not be an easy fix

Ah, yes now that you mention it, I can see that being what he meant. If so then yep, def not an simple fix; a complete replacement would be necessary.

I thought he was referring to just the end cap disk alone.
Ted

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2020 at 11:04
The baffles all seem fine.  Can't tell any damage with the bore scope or flashlight in it.   I'm not sure if the endcap is "welded" on or just mechanically attached.  Trouble is finding a tool to try to remove it.  I'm planning to work on messing with it later this weekend and determine just what it will take to remove.  Heck it may not even need to be replaced just atheistically its looks bad. 

I haven't shot it on another gun to confirm its fine.  Might toss on a bolt 308 and test its integrity this weekend as well and ensure its affect on accuracy but I imagine it will be negative......
On the gun spinning the jackets off.  I tested without a can with same results.  shoots 220's fine, 125 SMKs fine..... 110 VMAX it shreds them.  Both hornady black ammo and hunter shack 110's did the same thing.

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2020 at 11:54
Boy this would frost my cookies!!!  Hopefully that thing comes apart for cleaning....  Hell, I try to make a whole new outer housing if necessary versus buy another new one...
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic