OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Fishing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sunglasses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sunglasses
    Posted: May/17/2020 at 16:08
This is primarily an optics forum so maybe I can get some input. I fish more than I hunt or shoot. If any of you Texans like going offshore, send me a message. Anyway, I need some new polarized sunglasses. I had a pair of Smiths, made in Italy and I lost them. I need a new pair. I don’t care what brand as long as they aren’t Chinese made. Trying to use google is a lost cause. Depending on how you type in your search, you can get any answer you like. Don’t tell me Costas. I know that at least some of those are Chinese and I’m not paying 200.00 bucks for them. LX is one possibly and Tonics is another. Those are either/and Australian and Japanese. Thanks!
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2020 at 16:51
I also use Smith for fishing. The Chrome pop Blue polarized works really well.  They have a sale page and also 20% off right now.
Maui Jim would be another to take a look at. Made in Italy and Japan.  

Edited by coyote95 - May/17/2020 at 17:39
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2020 at 17:51
I think the new Smiths are no longer made in Italy. I’m
going to call them tomorrow. I’ll call Maui Jim’s as well and ask. Thanks, I’ll let you know what I find out.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2020 at 19:52
I’ve run a slew of sunglasses for fishing over the years, Revos, Hobies, Kaenon, Costa Del Mar, Solar Bats, etc.

I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to Maui Jim and Oakley. Oakleys are nice because they're light and can take all the abuse. Depending on the model you get, you can switch out lenses based on fishing scenarios, bright days, low light, sight fishing, etc. I’ll use ‘em for hunting too depending on my mood. 😎
Maui Jim’s have excellent clarity and great choice for everything, fishing, driving, hanging out. 
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2020 at 22:33
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

I’ve run a slew of sunglasses for fishing over the years, Revos, Hobies, Kaenon, Costa Del Mar, Solar Bats, etc.

I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to Maui Jim and Oakley. Oakleys are nice because they're light and can take all the abuse. Depending on the model you get, you can switch out lenses based on fishing scenarios, bright days, low light, sight fishing, etc. I’ll use ‘em for hunting too depending on my mood. 😎
Maui Jim’s have excellent clarity and great choice for everything, fishing, driving, hanging out. 

I’ll take a look. I know Maui Jim’s were previously made here in the U.S. 
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2020 at 12:05
After some phone calling and research, I ordered two pairs of LX Polarized sunglasses. They are manufactured in Japan.  I had no idea that there was such a monopoly in this market segment and that that’s why they are so expensive. Luxottica, it seems owns almost all the designer brands and manufactures in a lot of locations, including China. Ray Ban, Oakley, Costa and dozens of others are all owned by Luxottica. Smith optics are owned by Safilo Group. Another Italian designer fashion company. Shady Rays. 100% made in China. Maui Jim’s, made in either Japan  or Italy. Really expensive but would’ve been my second choice. I could care less about designer brands. I care about performance and limiting the amount of money that goes to China. 
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2020 at 16:24
Thanks for info, tejas ! Looks like I will be checking into the LX’s   
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2020 at 16:45
Originally posted by tejas tejas wrote:

I care about performance and limiting the amount of money that goes to China. 

Same here, my team partner and I were ranked in top-5 for years fishing team tournaments on the Cal Delta for black bass. Sunglasses like all our other equipment, sponsorships, and time on the water played a big role in our success. Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2020 at 12:45
I received my LXs on Thursday so shipping was pretty fast. They look like they are a quality product. They are stamped “made in Japan”. To me, that’s a plus. I’ll update this after I actually use them
offshore. 

Another brand to look at is Tonic eyewear. An Australian company whose products are also made in Japan. Some or all of their glasses actually use polarized glass lenses. 
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2020 at 07:39
My LX’s with some state water snappers. Federal season opened on June 1st but it’s too rough to go out.  

I’ll have to post pics later. Too large so I’ll resize them on my computer.
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2020 at 00:19
I've always fancied a pair of Maui Jim's but the price here is scary!
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2020 at 04:31

I received my LXs on Thursday so shipping was pretty fast. They look like they are a quality product. They are stamped “made in Japan”. To me, that’s a plus. I’ll update this after I actually use them
offshore. 

Another brand to look at is Tonic eyewear. An Australian company whose products are also made in Japan. Some or all of their glasses actually use polarized glass lenses. 

Sunglasses that are not polarized aren’t worth buying.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2020 at 11:16
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

offshore. 

Sunglasses that are not polarized aren’t worth buying.

When I said some of all were polarized glass, I meant that some were actually glass-not polycarbonate. I think all of them are polarized. I agree, without polarization, your missing a lot when it comes to fishing.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2020 at 11:23
👍
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2020 at 07:00
tejas, what color did you go with in the lx's and how are they working out so far ? thanks kevin
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2020 at 16:59
Its all your fault!!! I hate wearing glasses! I wore prescription glasses in my first tour to Iraq and determined I would not do another tour needing glasses. When I got back I had Lasik done and was very happy with it. Over time I have had to go to wearing readers and that is bad enough. I am currently head long sold out on bass fishing. Love it! But still hate glasses, even sunglasses. BUT, have surrendered to the fact that they are a vital part of successful fishing. Then the dilemma of what to get and how much to spend.
When I saw this thread I had to investigate. I ordered a pair of LX's today. So its all your fault!!!

Bye the way, Thanks!!

Salute!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2020 at 17:49
You only have one pair of eyes, invest in them.  Cool
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2020 at 20:33
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

Its all your fault!!! I hate wearing glasses! I wore prescription glasses in my first tour to Iraq and determined I would not do another tour needing glasses. When I got back I had Lasik done and was very happy with it. Over time I have had to go to wearing readers and that is bad enough. I am currently head long sold out on bass fishing. Love it! But still hate glasses, even sunglasses. BUT, have surrendered to the fact that they are a vital part of successful fishing. Then the dilemma of what to get and how much to spend.
When I saw this thread I had to investigate. I ordered a pair of LX's today. So its all your fault!!!

Bye the way, Thanks!!

Salute!

You’ll love them. Especially if you didn’t pay too much. Mine are Bravo’s. I ordered one pair in Green/Gray (gray lenses) and the other in Brown/Bronze. They were on sale for 40.00 each. I’ve owned Smiths and Costas and lots of cheap brands. These are every bit as nice as a 200 dollar pair and the aren’t Chinese. 
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2020 at 21:05
These are actually fishing pics from the weekend, but I’m wearing the LX’s. Federal snapper season opened on Monday and of course it was rough as hell offshore. These are state water from Saturday out of Port Mansfield.
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2020 at 21:07
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic