OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Optics for Remington 783

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grimm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Optics for Remington 783
    Posted: May/29/2020 at 15:57
Nice to meet you all. I am new to hunting, wanted to try something new in my 40s. Purchased a remington 783 and thought about necessity of purchasing decent optics but when I can't google how to choose it and always get redirected to different review lists like this. I mean, the products are probably good, and people know what they are talknig about, but I can't understand what are the parameters, how to choose, and speaking frankly the ones from the list are expensive. Any articles on this forum on how to choose, or just a bit of advice which one to buy?
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2020 at 11:26
What caliber and what are your goals? Hunting what and how far out? What is your budget? I've checked a few reviews and they are very mixed concerning accuracy. It does appear to be finicky about ammo. You will need a good quality scope to have any hope of finding what ammo it likes and getting decent shot groups. 
Welcome to the OT. Hope we can help.

Salute!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2020 at 16:33
Originally posted by Grimm Grimm wrote:

Nice to meet you all. I am new to hunting, wanted to try something new in my 40s. Purchased a remington 783 and thought about necessity of purchasing decent optics but when I can't google how to choose it and always get redirected to different review lists like this. I mean, the products are probably good, and people know what they are talknig about, but I can't understand what are the parameters, how to choose, and speaking frankly the ones from the list are expensive. Any articles on this forum on how to choose, or just a bit of advice which one to buy?

Welcome to OT, Grimm! The article you linked to pertains to thermal scopes, which are way more expensive than regular “day” riflescopes. Did you mistakenly copy the wrong link, or was it really your intent to buy a thermal scope? If so, there isn’t an inexpensive option in thermals. If you’re just looking for a conventional hunting scope, the choices are much more straightforward and WAY less expensive.

But first, as Sgt D said, we will need to know the application, type of hunting you intend to do, and budget you wish to stay within. Once we know those things, we can offer recommendations.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic