OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What's it worth?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote South Pender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's it worth?
    Posted: June/29/2020 at 20:01
Can anyone tell me what a reasonable price would be for this scope?  It is advertised as new in box.

Edited by South Pender - July/02/2020 at 17:34
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2020 at 10:07
I'd pay $500 for it if I had $500......   Bucky

Visit the Ed Show
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2020 at 10:15
 $500
Doug
South Pender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote South Pender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2020 at 12:31
Thanks, guys.  I had thought it might be worth more, given that it is an earlier Zeiss with the T coating.  Glad to be straightened out about that!
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2020 at 14:52
I have some 7x42 Zeiss T binoculars that I bough while in Germany in 1987. They are still my go to binoculars for hunting and would be perfect for hunting with that exact same scope.
Doug
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2020 at 23:15
The market in Canada may be different than in the US for one thing the currency value is different and the availability of certain products varies. Older stuff even if new in box is still older stuff and over time the coatings on lenses have improved but craftsmanship may not have. I would think it is still a very desirable optic so judge its value according to what else is on the market available to you in Canada.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
South Pender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote South Pender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2020 at 16:29
Just a brief follow-up: The seller was asking about $1100 USD for the scope.  This seemed high to me even though it was brand new, and your comments have confirmed this.  I had wondered whether there was something really outstanding optically about these earlier Zeiss Diavari-C scopes.  For a little over half of that price (about $630 USD), I can get a new Swarovski Z3 3-9x36 here, a scope with the same magnification range and approximate size (although the Swarovski is slightly lighter).  I don't know how the Swarovski would compare to the Zeiss optically, but I assume that the difference would not be great enough to justify the asking price.
-Bertrand Russell
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2020 at 18:34
Oh, heck, get the Swarovski!   
Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic