OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Backcountry scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BjornF16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Backcountry scope
    Posted: July/04/2020 at 14:48
Looking for relatively lightweight scope to go on Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 CM rifle for backcountry hunting. Possible go on a 300 WSM as well.

Definitely place reliability over weight.

I’ve read elsewhere on negatives of Swaro Z3/Z5 reliability (issues of keeping zero or return to zero with rough use). Any thoughts on this?

Considering:
1. NF NXS 2.5-10x42
2. Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42
3. Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15x42
4. SWFA SS 3-15x42

Don’t want chinese glass. 

I prefer ability to adjust parallax.

Not a fan of 24 or 32mm objectives for this application.

Can get mil discount on NF and Vortex. Not sure about Trijicon. Wish the SS was HD glass (I have the SS HD 5-20x50).

I appreciate your inputs.

Björn
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2020 at 11:23
I have a Z3 3-9x36 and have not had any issues with it.

The Leupold VX5hd 2-10x is what I have on my fieldcraft.  Its 19oz iirc.  WIth the zero lock turrets and firedot illumination, its a pretty sweet package IMO. 

I have a VX6 2-12x on my 300 wsm.  They are dandy scope too IMO.  Both of mine have held zero well, and they return to zero after lots of elevation adustments with the ZL turrets. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/2020 at 16:11
Are you looking for FFP or SFP?

If SFP, I would really look at Vortex HD-LHT.  I am really liking it.

If FFP, go with SWFA.

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2020 at 09:33
Light weight and tactical scopes are opposite ends of the game.  I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear but this 3-9 Redfield with a ballistic reticle should give you useable aiming points out to about 500 yds if you zero at 200 yds. Check it at known distances to see how the reticle matches your ammo and caliber and remember that ballistic reticles work at the max power. I only have one of the scopes on your list--  the SS and I like it, my version is no longer made and is 2FP.  Is a US Optics B17 out of the price range? I wouln't mind a Night Force but in a higher power range, I just like the low profile knob of the USO better. The Vortex is Chinese.  Trijicon might be ok I was disappointed in the 5-20 because of limited internal adjustment and had a couple go back for illumination not being right.

Redfield 3-9x40 Revolution Rifle Scope

Matte, Accu-Range

RED67095
Redfield

Only 2 left

$204.99

Redfield 3-9x40 Revolution TAC Rifle Scope

Matte, TAC-MOA

Redfield
$229.95

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - July/09/2020 at 10:43

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2020 at 08:21
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Light weight and tactical scopes are opposite ends of the game.  I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear but this 3-9 Redfield with a ballistic reticle should give you useable aiming points out to about 500 yds if you zero at 200 yds. Check it at known distances to see how the reticle matches your ammo and caliber and remember that ballistic reticles work at the max power. I only have one of the scopes on your list--  the SS and I like it, my version is no longer made and is 2FP.  Is a US Optics B17 out of the price range? I wouln't mind a Night Force but in a higher power range, I just like the low profile knob of the USO better. The Vortex is Chinese.  Trijicon might be ok I was disappointed in the 5-20 because of limited internal adjustment and had a couple go back for illumination not being right.

Redfield 3-9x40 Revolution Rifle Scope

Matte, Accu-Range

RED67095
Redfield

Only 2 left

$204.99

Redfield 3-9x40 Revolution TAC Rifle Scope

Matte, TAC-MOA

Redfield
$229.95

Unless Vortex has moved some of their production, the Razor series of scopes is made in Japan. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2020 at 11:25
Correct.

Razor is Japan.
Viper/PST is Philippines.

ILya
HKtoTikka View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKtoTikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2020 at 17:35
This beauty is still on the Samplelist

Leica 2.5-10x42 ER i 30mm Rifle Scope DEMO-B

55010, Matte, Illuminated Ballistic, 1/10 MIL

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2020 at 09:48
Originally posted by HKtoTikka HKtoTikka wrote:

This beauty is still on the Samplelist

Leica 2.5-10x42 ER i 30mm Rifle Scope DEMO-B

55010, Matte, Illuminated Ballistic, 1/10 MIL

👍👍👍👍👍
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
BjornF16 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BjornF16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2020 at 11:31
I'm not a fan of ballistic reticles.

I'm impartial to SFP or FFP...I like them both.

I'm looking hard at the Razor HD LHT. Just some reservations on failures like I've read on other Vortex scopes (i.e. don't want to be in backcountry and have scope failure, e.g. failure to keep zero, turret failure, etc).

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2020 at 11:57
I have a Leica ER with the ballistic reticle. I have not been a fan of those myself, but the Leica changed that. It comes on target easy and is very good in low light.
I also have a Hazor HD with a ballistic reticle and it has very good optics and the reticle is also very good in low light.
The Leica is the "clear" winner with resolution and contrast. Where this really stands out is during low light with the game in front of or standing in cover.

Doug
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2020 at 15:14
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I have a Leica ER with the ballistic reticle. I have not been a fan of those myself, but the Leica changed that. It comes on target easy and is very good in low light.
I also have a Hazor HD with a ballistic reticle and it has very good optics and the reticle is also very good in low light.
The Leica is the "clear" winner with resolution and contrast. Where this really stands out is during low light with the game in front of or standing in cover.

I have the ERi 4A reticle. 
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic