OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Wolf WPA 7.62x39...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wolf WPA 7.62x39...
    Posted: September/06/2020 at 07:56
123 grain bullets.  Bought a couple thousand rounds of this stuff a while back.  I'm getting a failure to fire a little more than 1 in 20.  Primer strike looks perfect... dead center and as close to same depth as those that fire as I can see.  I've checked everything in the bolt/BCG... all good.  Multiple strikes won't fire it.  
I have some 124 grain Red Army Standard that I have had no failures to fire.  I also have some reloaded "plinking" stuff that I have had no failures to fire.  
I guess the batch of WPA I have they just had a bad QC day...
The WPA is pretty accurate, about 1MOA, reloaded stuff is about the same.  RAS is a bit better.  
Price is not nearly so good when you are loosing a little over 5%.  However, it HAS improved my clearance drill.  I guess everything has some "trade-off".

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2020 at 10:43
What are your running these through? I've never had a failure to fire on any of the Russian made ammo.
(Ruger American runs the Mini 30 mags.)  My preference is the Silver Bear ammo (no lacquer).

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2020 at 11:33
My "AR-47" (built from upper ILya put together, sold to me quite a while back).  It's been sitting for a while, I decided to get it fully operational.  Always been accurate and 7.62x39 is still cheaper than I can load it, mostly.  The Red Army Standard shoots well, the reloaded stuff shoots well, never had any issues with Silver Bear, but have not used any in a long time... no ignition failures with anything I've tried but the Wolf stuff.  Never have had a lot of luck with Wolf ammo.  I have some 100grain 6.5 Grendel that keyholes out of my 14.5 inch(16 with staked muzzle brake) Alexander Arms 1:7 twist upper (I sent the upper back to Alexander and they sent it back...said "use better ammo".  Only shoots OK out of my 20inch barreled Grendel.  Once I shoot up all this stuff I have on hand, pretty sure I'm through with it.  Even when I'm just "plinking", I want it to go "BANG" every time I pull the trigger.  

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2020 at 16:21
I've spent about 10 mags each of the Wolf and Red Army standard since last post... Wolf still has a high failure rate, RAS not a single failure to fire.   I must have just gotten in on a bad lot of Wolf, I guess.  

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2020 at 09:43
More testing of Wolf vs RAS (3 10 round mags of each just yesterday morning)... Wolf exhibiting about a 32-33% failure rate.  Certainly decreases the cost effectiveness of Wolf ammo... and, makes it useless for its intended purpose.  I'll be glad when this stuff is gone.  

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2020 at 21:50
Sorry its not working out for you.  I like the Silver Bear ammo best, but none of it can  be had currently.
At this point I'd say shoot up the unreliable Wolf plinking and keep the RAS.  I heard TULA ammo blew up a 9mm pistol not long ago I think they had a squib which plugged the barrel and next round caused major failure.  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2020 at 10:37
Yeah, I'm just trying to use up the Wolf stuff... darned irritating.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic