OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What is your favorite binocular

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is your favorite binocular
    Posted: December/18/2020 at 19:25
This is an interesting topic, so let us have it.

The cost of optic is not important.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2020 at 21:12
7x42 Zeiss I bought in 1987 while in Germany.
Doug
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2020 at 02:05
I do like my Zeiss Nightowls...
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
DPI View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2020 at 14:18
Hensoldt Nacht-Dialyt 8x56

Keep a pair in my car all the time
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2020 at 14:43
I guess I’d have to say my 10x42 EL’s, I’ve beat the hell out of ‘em hard hunting and they keep getting back up. They may not be the best optically that I own but I’ve never had to worry about them failing me. 😁
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2020 at 09:26
Kowa Genesis 8x33 
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2020 at 11:04
For hunting, my Zeiss 8x30s bought in 1981.

I tried  them against the latest Zeiss 10x30s nineteen years later, and they were just as good.
The added magnification didn't show any more detail (to my eyes, at least), because of the added tremor.

I looked at the latest top-end Zeiss and Swarovski binoculars several years ago.
If I were buying now, I might be tempted by their 8x42s in spite of the added bulk.

My advice is to buy the best you can get  . . .  and buy once.
These binoculars will still be great when they are passed down to your grandchildren!  
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2020 at 11:50
I like my Zeiss 10x45 RF binos.  I have ranged beyond 2000 yards with them and the optics are outstanding.  Can see game with them way before in I can see them with my bare eyes in low light. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2020 at 14:52
None...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2020 at 15:29
My hunting partner purchased a Leica Noctivid 8X42 binocular this Fall. They are spectacular! If I ever buy another they will be it.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Gumball View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gumball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2020 at 16:09
1944 Zeiss 7x50 "Smooth Ocular"
Leitz beh 7x50 U-boat
Leitz beh 7x50
Leitz 10x50 "WA"
Zeiss 10x50 (1917)
Zeiss 18x50 (1923)
Zeiss 7x50 "U-boat"
Zeiss 7x50 "Gas Mask"
Zeiss 7x50 "Smooth Ocular"
Zeiss 8x60
Barr & Stroud CF42

gunut View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2020 at 20:01
Really like my 8x56 Minox HG....but with them being out of production....and the company now being run by dolts...who knows what will happen if I have a problem with them...

gunut
m1911 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2021 at 04:52
Swarovski 8 x 32 WB 

Overall smaller size, clarity, quality; works for me....

bratman87 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bratman87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2021 at 15:58
Docter Optics 8x56 Nobilem and Docter Optics 8x30 Classic. 
Glenn Taylor
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2021 at 19:39
The best binocular I have ever used, cost no object, was Leica Noctivid 8x42.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2021 at 21:49
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

The best binocular I have ever used, cost no object, was Leica Noctivid 8x42.

ILya
Some like the 8x better, but I would have to say the 10x is better.  Beats the Swarovski Swarovision in FOV and edge to edge AND depth of field... to MY eyes.  I'm not a great fan of binoculars, but IF I had to have an "Alpha", I would purchase a Leica Noctivid...
I went on a binocular "search" a while back... looked at a number of them... Leica was supreme in the "high dollar" genre.  I will probably buy the 10x42 someday in the not too distant future... and hate myself forever...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2021 at 23:51
I don't have any.  https://www.swfa.com/bushnell-10x42-engage-dx-binocular.html  These don't look bad (from here). One of these days I will buy some but I don't want to spend a lot on them. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Southhogger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southhogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2021 at 17:39
I use the 10x42 from Osprey. They are clear and i beat them up pretty bad and compare to my buddys $500 Nikons.. pretty decent gonna get another set just for the truckhttps://buyospreyglobal.com/10x42-binocular/
“If frogs had side pockets, they'd carry hand guns.”
― Dan Rather
CaptRedbeard View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptRedbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2021 at 22:32
So far, my new Alpen 10 x 42's have been most impressive.
Never forget your binos.
BrinzaDominator View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrinzaDominator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2021 at 14:27
The optical characteristics directly affect the functionality of your device. Magnification, in other words, multiplicity, is not the decisive factor that determines the ability of optics to solve the tasks set. So I always looked for binoculars with good magnification, I am an amateur hunter, and also a fan of watching the star business. I was looking for binoculars that I can use in two cases at once.  I found a good binoculars in an article from the site top binoculars for astronomy where its characteristics and its advantages were described. I bought it and I do not regret it because I have been using it for 4 months, quality things will always work as you need.
Be happy :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic