OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Critter Cooking Café
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Christmas...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christmas...
    Posted: December/22/2020 at 09:39
and so the cooking marathon has begun.  My youngest daughter has been granted a reprieve, so she gets to come home for Christmas... means I'm back making all the things I made at Thanksgiving, again.  Knives, spoons and measuring cups are flying like crazy...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2020 at 10:07
We are doing the same thing...
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2020 at 10:09
Get going guys, I imagine it will be quite the feast!
God save the Empire!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2020 at 08:30
I am basically finished... will start cooking the pork loins tonight, but everything else will just be a "warm up".  Youngest arrives at noon today... things are looking great.
However, we did get 2.05 inches of rain after midnight last night... winds were gusting to 35mph.  Fairly calm right now, but temperature is dropping... supposed to be 18degF by nightfall.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2020 at 08:51
Sounding good Dan, enjoy the time with your family! 

With that drop in temp and all the rain could make for interesting driving, stay safe.
God save the Empire!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2020 at 10:41
A wonderful time was had by all.  I changed up the brine this year and it turned out to be a great move... the pork loins were better than I've ever cooked.  
Complete menu:
Parsnip Vichyssoise with sage garnish... to start(to be consumed while the pork loins "rest" for 20 minutes)
Pork loins (2, 5lb each) with shiitake, porcini, chanterelle, and portabella mushroom/sage dressing cooked in Calvados
cranberry/wild cherry relish
Snow peas with thinly sliced smoked sausage (link) seasoning
spiced butternut squash
Creamed mashed potatoes with dill
Pear and apple compote (made this year with red pears instead of the normal anjou... a nice difference)

AND, for my tasteless grandson, Mac 'n Cheese and sausage bisquit... (he did love the compote) and Promised Land Chocolate (Chokat... as the grandson says) Milk (my girls have always said it tastes like melted chocolate ice cream)

Wine List:
French Domaine de la Colombette Scandalous One Cabernet Noir
Sonoma Kalifornia Chateau St Jean Pinot Noir
Napa Kalifornia Bread and Butter Rose
Sonoma Kalifornia Chateau St Jean Chardonnay

I meant to smoke a Havana Romeo y Julieta afterward with a nice Scotch , but by the time we finished, temperatures were already below freezing again, did not want to smoke it in the house with everyone there, so did not.  Still, a wonderful day.

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2020 at 12:17
Sounds like a great meal and wonderful time had by all. Congrats Dan!
God save the Empire!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2020 at 12:48
We ate way too much... but, LOTS of leftovers...

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2020 at 13:49
We as well. Had 9 yesterday, probably enough food and finger foods for 20. Your menu sounds delightful.
God save the Empire!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2021 at 15:25
Once again, the cooking fires are "lit", pots are boiling, ovens are full... This year, I am adding a raspberry chocolate cake to the menu (only cooking 1 bread pudding, though).  I am also altering/modifying a couple of menu items.  Takes a bit longer when experimenting with the recipes... Changes to the pear and apple compote have turned out well. 

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2021 at 16:40
Love this time of year getting together with family. Expect your usual feast will be well appreciated!
God save the Empire!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2021 at 16:47
Home made raviolis and a prime rib for us.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2021 at 17:40
Sorry, guys, but it doesn't seem like Christmas to me this year. I am going to go up to Arlington to see THE GANG but I just don't feel it.

I think its Joe Biden's fault......

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2021 at 17:41
map dfw - The Farah Law Firm

Visit the Ed Show
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2021 at 18:35
Dan, if you ever open a restaurant, I'm making opening day.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2021 at 06:35
Marry Xmas fellow,

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2021 at 20:50
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Dan, if you ever open a restaurant, I'm making opening day.

I'm retired... proud of it...opening a business, I've considered and dismissed post haste... however, you've, on several occasions, been given an open invitation to dinner... I've never retracted it.  

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2021 at 04:24
Had Pheasant and wild mushroom stew over baby white potatoes for dinner last night.

Christmas dinner should arrive this afternoon. We are having a spiral sliced Honey Baked Ham.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2021 at 16:59
Prime Rib and lobsters here... with  just my Son and his GF... who moved back from Colorado this spring...its so nice having all four back home.  Merry Christmas all... and Happy New Year!!
take em!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2021 at 17:01
Prime Rib and Lobster sounds excellent.  Happy Christmas to you and yours, Todd.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic