OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Question about my new SWFA UL 2.5-10x

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrGriso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about my new SWFA UL 2.5-10x
    Posted: January/01/2021 at 17:28
Hi all. I'm trying to figure out if my new Ultra Light scope lives up to the favorable opinions I've read. Haven't had a chance to use it yet out on a range. Right now I'm wondering about what might be called a chromatic aberration? 

I don't have a way to capture and post what I'm seeing, so I will describe and example. I had the scope on a tripod in my yard and was looking at various distant objects. I notice that when looking at a couple of palm tree trunks 300 yds away. These are the really tall kind, 60-70' high. When viewing them through my scope I see what's best described as a blue glow on the right side and a red glow on the left side of each trunk. I've noticed a similar effect when looking at other distant things, but this view of vertical objects against a pale sky really brings it out. 

I have not noticed this kind of effect/aberration with any of my other scopes, SWFA or otherwise. Is this normal for the 2.5-10x? i.e. considered acceptable? I don't recall anyone ever mentioning it.

TIA
MrGriso View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrGriso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2021 at 17:40
I found a pic online that illustrates it very well. Not the best resolution (and ignore the "After" half of the image), but it does show the red-blue aberration clearly. 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2021 at 21:26
That's called chromatic aberration.  It is pretty common and most scopes have it to some degree.  The Ultralight is set up to be parallax free at 100 yards (plex reticle) or 150 yards (BDC reticle) and at those distances CA will be minimized.  As you deviate from them, it will be more prominent.

Make sure the eyepiece is properly set-up.  If it is still more prominent than you'd like, talk to the guys at SWFA.  There is some sample variation.  Both Ultralights I have do display some CA, but it is very reasonable for the price range.

ILya
MrGriso View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrGriso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2021 at 10:43
Thank you! This is helpful information. And I'm glad I was able to identify this problem correctly. Never noticed it before buying this scope, which is the BDC version in case I didn't mention it above.

Well I pulled out my Redfield Revolution 3-9x this morning to compare with the new SWFA UL. Did this early so there'd be no heat ripples off rooftops etc to ruin the view. I hate to say it but the Redfield is just WAY sharper than the my UL in addition to having not much in the way of CA. (With the RF, it's there, but I have to look really hard to notice it.) I've tried again and again turning the eyepiece in and out, looking for the sweet spot. I really think it ought to be better. I think it's time to call SWFA and get an RA #, ship it back to them so they can have a look at it. 

Found an even better example of CA, from Revic Optics' site. This is really extreme of course:
http://www.revicoptics.com/research/optical-aberrations-in-rifle-scopes/

Just adding it here for posterity. It seems, based on my search, that I am the first person to mention chromatic aberration on this board. Must not be something of much concern to most people I guess. For example, I don't think it would bother a hunter taking max shots of 150 yds. 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2021 at 12:28
Talk to SWFA.  I am familiar with the Redfield scope, and Ultralight should run circles around it.

ILya
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2021 at 14:02
I have been looking through my rimfire Ultralight since yesterday. I am not seeing much CA with the cloud cover we have had. I have never noticed much before, either. 
Doug
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2021 at 07:45
so you guys have finally gotten your UL rimfires?  I've had one on backorder since September...

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2021 at 08:22
Doug
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2021 at 08:34
Mine has been on B.O. since Sept and I'm getting very tired of waiting....

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2021 at 08:42
That's a bummer as it is a fine scope. I banged mine up lately and no issues.
Doug
fordman552@gmail.com View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordman552@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2021 at 21:26
I have had my bdc one now a couple weeks and its clear as can be! Super great scope Im in love with it!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2021 at 21:38
Originally posted by fordman552@gmail.com fordman552@gmail.com wrote:

I have had my bdc one now a couple weeks and its clear as can be! Super great scope Im in love with it!

I am glad it works well for you.  I have a couple of these and really like them.

ILya
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2021 at 05:33
yeah i really wanted one too. I finally got fed up with waiting and cancelled my order cause of over a 7+ months of Backorder.  I also bought my first Ruger 1022 with built in weavers and no sights in that timeframe and coukdnt shoot it without optics.

I ended up going with the konuspro.  Figured out i cant wear my glasses to see thru it but once i found paper with it am good to go...

I really wanted that UL rimfire!!! Hell it cost twice as much as the rifle but the ridiculous wait us what killed the sale...  i know its not Chris's fault.  Man i sure woukdnt wantbto hang my business on those type of production / delivery delays....  it really sucks.
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordman552@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2021 at 10:28
Yes Im glad what I wanted was in stock being the bdc 5.56 one….. when I first saw them they were out of stock too. I’m super happy with this optic and it didnt add any weight to my AR or upset the balance. Lots of new optics out these days but look at the weight on them….. saw one well over 30 something ounces!! Like really??? If anybody is on the fence over this optic just get it! It really does tickle all the right spots with a french tickler!! 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordman552@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2021 at 10:29
Yes it works fantastic thank you. What is your favorite scope at moment? 
MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2021 at 09:14
So, what was the resolution here? Did SWFA replace the scope? Does the replacement have better control of the CA?
Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2021 at 15:30
I built a 250 Savage on a short action Rem 700 with a SWFA UL in Sept 2020. I weighted 8 pounds 4 ounces with scope, bipod, rear bag, cheekrest, and sling.

In October 2020 I had it sighted in to a 1" (3) shot group at 200 yards. I was ready for shooting out to 500 yards with the BCD reticle, Quicktarget, and the excellent documentation of SWFA UL subtensions.

I was hunting in high winds and low temps. A deer held up on the lee side of a steep hill. I shot it at 100 yards from next to the truck. I did not need long range or light rifle. I just needed that hill to protect me from the wind while I gutted the deer.
MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/2021 at 09:49
Originally posted by Clark Clark wrote:

I did not need long range or light rifle. I just needed that hill to protect me from the wind while I gutted the deer.

That’s the case with all good hunters.
(-:
MrGriso View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrGriso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2021 at 09:40
Originally posted by MZ5 MZ5 wrote:

So, what was the resolution here? Did SWFA replace the scope? Does the replacement have better control of the CA?
Sorry for the late reply. I guess I never got back to this thread with an update. No, the replacement scope they sent me.... it was the same. To my eye anyway. Further, I just couldn't get it focus correctly. I played with the diopter adjustment turning it from one end to the other several times. And while I could get the reticle in focus, distant objects just didn't appear clear enough to me. 

I'd look through it and then grab one of my Redfield Revolutions, I have all three of their models using the Accurange reticles, and look through any of those and think, wow, this is what I should be seeing through that SWFA 2.5-10x! It should be at least as good as my (less expensive) Redfields. But it wasn't.

I sent back that replacement scope and got a refund. Hopefully it worked out well for whomever ended up with the ones I sent back. 
MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2021 at 20:21
Thanks for the report. Too bad, but glad you got a refund.

I’ll remember to not buy an UL from the SampleList.
(-;
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic