OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Manon binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manon binoculars
    Posted: January/31/2021 at 07:36
Maybe I'll put my Manon 7 X 50s up for sale here for $200......   Bucky
Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2021 at 22:38
It is technical... which is it's worth... and the worth is great.  Finished it a couple days ago, sorry I've not commented before now.  
As Joe Friday said so well... "Just the facts, Ma'am".  Easy to read, technically accurate and informative, good background.  I am convinced I could, at need, perform either a conditional alignment or 3-axis collimation of a binocular.  I can see the utility of either, based upon user requirements.  I was not versed (and probably did not care) on the differences until I read this book.  
Thank you, Bill.  This is one of those "just in case" pieces of knowledge that is nice to have in the hip pocket.  I may never need it, but it's there if I do.  
Knowledge is power.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2021 at 21:22
I have the book as well, it's not the kind of reading that will keep you on the edge of your seat,  however, a must have for those who want more than a cursory knowledge of binoculars and the human eye. 

Absolutely worth the modest ransom.

Wf

May His face shine upon you and give you peace.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2021 at 16:52
Book arrived today.  I read the Foreword, Introduction (fully agree with and appreciate your points) and Chapter 1 in between felling trees (I'm trying to clear everything that grew up while I was "on duty"...).  Looks really good to me, so far.  Glad to have gotten it.  

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2021 at 19:12
NO ... THANK YOU!

BC
“Water, water everywhere nor any drop to drink.” — Samuel Taylor Coleridge
“Social media everywhere but not a thought to think.” — me

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2021 at 18:21
Thank you.  Ordered.

WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2021 at 11:46
Please see my post of 3 days ago.
Bill

bigfield View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2021 at 09:08
The assembling manufacturer for your Manon binoculars (JB119) was Nisshin Kogaku Kogyo Co Ltd, which is Nisshin Optical Industries Co Ltd in english. Manon was the brand name of the Japanese exporter Miura Shoji KK, which in english is Miura Trading Co Ltd, who held the Japanese trademark #407,661 for Manon from 1952, and held the US trademark #72197837 for Manon 1963-2006.If you want to look at period Manon binoculars catalogs I have 2 posted for anyone to see in my Binoculars Catalog Research Library in Binoculars Catalogs #3. The Binoculars Catalogs Research library as of 1/13/21 has posted 3,590 pages of 211 binoculars catalogs in 8 languages covering 173 brands, and is part of my not for profit binoculars research website miniature binoculars, at www.miniaturebinoculars.com. Information on Miura Shoji KK is in the section on period binoculars distributors at Distribution #3. Hope this helps
Mark Ohno
WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2021 at 13:50

WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2021 at 13:44
So, you’re the one who has been withholding my $3?! Understanding & Achieving 3-Axis Binocular Collimation has been on Amazon.com since last February. The Collimation Vs. Conditional Alignment vignette in the first book was (at 18 pages) the largest down-to-earth treatise in the English languages. The second book offers 68 pages on the same subject, making it the new LARGEST. It has many graphics and examples and has a 64-item glossary. 

I priced it well below its value in an effort to help stem the tide of that idiotic, “all you have to do is ...,” which I have been fighting for 44 years!!!

Bill

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2021 at 21:50
I purchased WJC's book... it is one of the most informative books on binoculars I have had in hand and I am glad to have it in my library as a reference.  One of my valued possessions.  

So Bill, you said "first book"... is there a second???

WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2021 at 12:42

Or ... you could buy my first bino book which has all of the codes in there. JB 119 is Nisshin Kogaku Kogyo Co. Ltd. Tokyo.

I have repaired MANY Manon binoculars and every one was worth repairing. Some people will point out that it is not an “Alpha,” which is a designation the over-the-top stackers of BBs came up with to sooth their egos. If the optics are clean and it is collimated, it’s a keeper. That is, if you’re more into observing than keeping up with the Jones’.

Bill

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2021 at 22:25
That JB number you found is the code. Somewhere ( on this site as a matter of fact ) someone once posted the entire listing of the manufacturers according to that code. There are about a hundred manufacturers listed. You wouldn't know any of them because they simply built stuff to spec and someone else's name was put on the binocular. 

Actually, you could start a new thread here on binoculars entitled: "The Japanese Binocular Code list" and some of these Binocular experts will pull that list up for you. I just saw that list about six months ago on here....

But like I said you won't recognize any names....some name like 'Kawazuki Glass" or something. Back in the Golden Age of Japanese binoculars ( 1950s - 1970s ) hundreds of companies made thousands of binoculars that got branded Tasco, Bushnell, Manon, Jason, Sears, Montgomery Ward, etc, etc....but you won't recognize the name of any of those manufacturers....

Edited by Son of Ed - January/09/2021 at 22:37
Visit the Ed Show
Joe Wolfe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Wolfe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2021 at 20:16
OK, thanks.  Sounds like good advice. Still interested in knowing  who actually manufactured mine.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2021 at 18:46
I've got an old pair of Manon 7X50s....they're in a closet right now so I'm not going to dig them out. But I think you should simply get on ebay and find yourself another one for cheap rather than try to fix yours up. 

I used to find all kinds of stuff on eBay by looking up:

Vintage binoculars
      Vintage Japan binoculars
      Japan 7 X 50 binoculars

....etc...

Those Manon binoculars are reasonable and they are common...mine are in great shape and I got them cheap....I can't remember what I paid....maybe $25!!   

Visit the Ed Show
Joe Wolfe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Wolfe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2021 at 17:37
Whatevermanon binoculars - from the Vietnam era. Seeking name of manufacturer for a 7x50 Manon Deluxe Lens, # A-6841. # on hinge: J-B119 & J-E15. Need repairs if possible. Thanks. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic