OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help Choosing between 3 scopes Swaro & Leupold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duckbutter100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Choosing between 3 scopes Swaro & Leupold
    Posted: January/12/2021 at 16:00
I'm trying to decide on a scope for a 6.5 CM for whitetail hunting. Going on a new Browning HC Speed. This is mainly for hardwood hunting and most shots are under 200y with the slight possibility of a longer field shot. 

I have never dabbled in long range shooting. Plan on working a load for 142 eld-x or 123grn SST(I just bought 100 pack of each)

If these 3 scopes all cost the same to you(a little complicated to why that is the case), which would you decide on and can you lend some insight as to why?

Leupold VX5 2-10x42 with CDS & Firedot
Leupold VX5 3-15x44 with CDS & Firedot
Swaro Z3 3-10x42---these are backordered with no timeline in sight for arrival

I have never needed/used a scope with dials and am usually more of a set it and forget type person. Weight is a partial consideration on the scope. 

I guess my main decision is does the features of the Leupold over ride the glass quality of the Z3. I have had no side by side comparisons so that opinion is going off of research. 

Thanks for help or any other options you may go with. I was also looking at Zeiss' in that range but it seems like their lower cost scopes are the same quality as in the past. 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2021 at 19:48
i have the vx52-10x firedot zl2 and a 3-9x36 swaro. Yes the glass is a little better on swaro. But definitely not make it or break it better. For my hunting purposes i pick the Leupold on my hunting 6.5 creed. I loce the zl2 turrets and the illumination is great. I run my swaro on a 223 ar and it works great too 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2021 at 02:24
3-15

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2021 at 11:30
I have a Leupold VX-6HD 2-12X42 Firedot and I picked up a Swaro A 3-10X42 before this season. I used both of them most of the year. Not quite what your asking about but close.  I also picked up a Swaro Z6 1.7-10X42 this year. 

They all are great scopes. I just bought a Z3 3-9X36 4a the other day and I the only negative I have is the wire reticle. The older Swaro A I bought has a nice dark #4 reticle. I am assuming it is etched, not sure, but it is better than the Z3. 

The Leupold is a really nice scope. I would put it against anything in the same size range for low light deer/hog hunting. I kept one VX6 HD and sold one. The one I sold was just because I didn't like all the knobs and buttons on that particular gun. I put the Swaro A 3-10x42 on that rifle. 

I would probably say the VX5 if you don't mind the dial/looks of that scope. If you do, then I would go with the Swaro for a cleaner look. 
Duckbutter100 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duckbutter100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2021 at 14:40
I appreciate the info so far. 

Im still struggling with which to get. The fact the Swaro's have no time table for being in stock makes it tough. Also trying to find a store which may have both brands to look at. 

I just hate going somewhere knowing I prob not going to buy it from the store.

I'm not sure why the decisions is so tough. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2021 at 23:46
All of these will serve you well.

VX-5 and VX-6 are really competent designs.

You kinda need to decide what configuration you want.  If you want 2x on the low end, get the VX-5HD.  If you are would prefer a 3-15x, I would consider Vortex Razor HD-LHT 3-15x42 as well.

I did a video on my hunting scope recommendations a while back.  Not sure if that will help you, but just in case:

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duckbutter100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2021 at 11:50
Really appreciate you sharing the video. A lot of good info. 

I may check out a Vortex but honestly I sometimes feel like they have went the way of Bushnell. They make nice high end stuff but the fact they make low end walmart "junk"(that may be unfair) it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to even look at their scope lines. I really bought into the Elite scopes back in teh day but if I had a dollar for every time someone asked me if the scope was a Banner or Trophy line scope, Id be buying a Victory. Maybe I shouldn't think that way but it is reality. 

I think if the Swaro's were in stock or I had a reliable time table of being in stock I would go that route. 

Leupold does make a clean 2-10 VX5 without all the extra dials on the scope but of course it doesn't come with the firedot. 

Based on your video, I'm starting to dig more into what Meopta offers. It just seems many of them have huge 56mm front lenses, seems like overkill

Thanks again for the great info. 
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2021 at 13:32
Buy once, cry once. 

I have 4 Zeiss, 1 Swaro, and 2 Leupolds. The Leupolds are at the bottom.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2021 at 14:39
I believe the Z3 line is discontinued 
Doug
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duckbutter100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2021 at 13:52
Per the nice lady at Swarovski customer service. The z3 is not discontinued but covid has them on a major slow down for production on the z3 and z5 lines. 
Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2021 at 21:33
I have a Z3 3-10 x 42, also the Leupold VX 5 2- 10 x 42. I like them both.

Frankly, first view through the Z3 I was amazed. Very clear for a "lower" end Swaro, my untrained eye can tell little if any difference between the Z3 and Z5.

The reason I purchased the Z3 - - to my knowledge Leupold does not produce a high end 1" tube scope within n the ranks of the VX5 and VX6, I do believe these tubes are all 30mm. Please correct me if I am wrong.

However, the VX5 has very good glass (mine is not equipped with the fire dot reticle) and should serve you very well. With the 30 mm tube, it sits atop one of my bolts... a bit too much bulk for my Henry Long Ranger or Marlin 338 MX. 

And for whatever reason my bias against Vortex is same as yours. I do own a Vortex Razor spotting scope, it does a really good job at the range, however, if to do again, I may choose a different brand. 

Excellent video Ilya. 

Wf

Edited by Whitefire - January/28/2021 at 19:11
May His face shine upon you and give you peace.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duckbutter100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2021 at 11:13
Which reticle do you have in the Z3?

I'm struggling to have a confident opinion on the 4a vs plex. I have always used plex in the past and have no where to look through a 4a. 
From Swaro's website it looks like the thick and thin parts of the cross hairs are a little thicker on the 4a compared to plex. 
I really like the look of the 4a on paper but wonder how it is in low light real hunting situations. Its so hard to buy without seeing for myself. Issue is, I really have no where to go and check them out. 
Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2021 at 19:49
I have the BRX reticle. I am underwhelmed with busy reticles, however, BRX offers finely etched Christmas tree of compensators. Very clean and relatively uncluttered.

I don't think you'd be at all disappointed with the Z3, however, availability is a challenge as you pointed out earlier.

Side by side with the VX 5 both are very good with a thoughtful nod going to the Z3.

Wf
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2021 at 21:52

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2021 at 06:35
My z-3 classic wears the 4a along with most of my other hunting scopes. I'm a big fan of the#4's when it comes to a hunting reticle.
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
Whitefire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitefire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2021 at 07:28
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

https://www.samplelist.com/swarovski-3-5-18x44-z5-riflescope-demo-c.html?___SID=U

That's a screaming bargain, all else equal. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duckbutter100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2021 at 08:29
I saw that scope on samplelist. If I could figure out any reason to need a dial on the scope I would probably jump on it. 

It just seems a bit overpowered when I'm hunting eastern hard woods. I think my longest shot since 1988 has been about 250 yards across a field. 

I appreciate the info on the 4a. 
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2021 at 08:35
Duck, the newer Swarovski's generally have thin reticles. I have had many of the older PV/PH models and they had a much better hunting reticle IMO. But they changed that in the Z series line. They also vary by a good margin from model to model, and even between the scopes in a series(like between the Z3 3-9X36 vs the 4-12x50). Swarovski has a good program on their website that shows the reticle subtension thickness for different models and reticles. 

Leupold also has the same information on their website, but it is a little harder to track down.

For low light hunting I prefer something above 1.0 thick for the thicker crosshairs at 100yrds. Like in the Z3 3-9x36 the plex is .86 thick, while the 4a is 2.05 thick. My Z6 1.7-10X42 plex is 1.43 thick. I had a Z5 5-25X52 and I couldn't see the reticle at dark, sent it back and had it changed to a #4 and still had a lot of trouble(I believe the #4 was .7-.8 thick). 

My VX6-HD firedot is 1.23 thick I believe, which is great to me. But I think the VX5-HD firedot is .8 thick. I would imagine I would have to use the illumination a lot, whereas I don't on the VX6-HD. 

Anyway, you may want to spend some time looking at all the subtension demensions for the scopes you are interested in, if low light shots are important. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duckbutter100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2021 at 10:19
Yea I checked out the sub's on the website.

I guess on the z3(4-12x50) the thick and thin sections of the xhairs are a little thicker on the 4a vs the ones on the plex. However they are different on the z5's at 12 power(I just used 12 as an equal comparison). So what you are saying makes a lot of sense. 

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2021 at 10:32
Originally posted by coyote95 coyote95 wrote:

My z-3 classic wears the 4a along with most of my other hunting scopes. I'm a big fan of the#4's when it comes to a hunting reticle.

You betcha 💥. And illuminated.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic