OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Range day...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Range day...
    Posted: February/10/2021 at 16:49
I went to my 1000 yard range today.  2nd visit, 1st time with the .338.  For a while, every time I planned to go, something happened... sick children, sick grandson, sick wife, unexpected household repairs, and so on.  1st visit, I just got briefed on the range and went to all the sites... it is laid out pretty well.  

Gun... my custom .338 LM with Zeiss Hensoldt ZF 6-24x72, Ivey Mount... shooting 250grain Bulldozers (Badlands Precision) loaded with 98.1grains RETUMBO.  Load value fps for a rifle originally loaded for 2810 fps... for my rifle, I calculated 2990 fps (I also had to reduce OAL from 3.6771in to 3.65in so the rounds would fit my magazines.)  My range uses electronic targets and at 100 yards (does not provide MV) I was registering 2868 fps... my JBM calculation gave 2863.1, so it was darned close... probably actually a little hotter than the 2990 fps I calculated.  At 1000 yards registered values were within +-4.5 fps of calculated (at range).  I can live with that.

Got set up (on Atlas bipod and a butt stock rest) and zeroed at 100... 3 rounds to zero, 5 for group... 0.25MOA.  Rezeroed at 300... 1 round to zero, 3 for group... slightly under .25MOA.  Moved to 600 and dialed 2mils... 3 shots dead center...moved to 800, dialed 3.7mils, 1 shot dead center (Lori said "Move on... you've still got it".  Moved to 1000 (I forgot to say that we were having varied winds from 0 to about 15 mph, at times, blowing in different directions.  I tried to wait until the winds died, but a couple of times got caught. My first shot was dead center, but about 1mil right.  I waited until wind conditions looked the same and fired... dead center hit.  All the remaining 8 rounds were in the 10 ring.  I fired one round at a steel target at 1000... the wind died just as I squeezed the trigger and I just SCRAPED the left edge of the target.  It didn't ring, just a little sissified "tink"...  Lori said "is that all you've got???... I think you may have knocked some paint off the edge..."  She's always helping me...
Fun day.  Lori had a good time, I had a great time... got in some lucky shots.  The only problem with it is... now I want to go back every day... it's a 2 hour drive each way.   
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2021 at 17:52
Good day Dan and some fine shooting!
God save the Empire!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2021 at 18:30
A guy shooting at the bench next to me was having a fantastic day... shooting a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor... he put 4 shots right at 1.5 inch at 1000... his fifth shot was dead center... almost exactly 1mil high.  He sat there dumbfounded for a bit, asked me to come look at his target to see if I saw what he saw, then said "I have NO idea..."
I have no idea...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2021 at 18:49
You gotta be good to be lucky and he sounds pretty good. Don’t think I could even see a target at 1000 yds. Grouping like that at that extreme range is exceptional (for you and him).
God save the Empire!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2021 at 20:51
He's getting ready for a competition at the end of this month.  

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2021 at 13:17
Sounds like you were at the CMP range at Taladaga. 
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2021 at 18:28
Nice shooting Dan!

I had no idea that a Ruger American Predator was that accurate.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2021 at 18:31
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Sounds like you were at the CMP range at Taladaga. 
negative.  Dead Zero in Tennessee

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2021 at 18:40
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Nice shooting Dan!

I have a Ruger American in .308.  I've restocked it and put a Timney trigger on it...wears a Vortex Diamondback 4-16 tactical, originally paid $299.00 for the rifle... definitely the "cheapest" setup I own.  I have never really "born down" with it, got it as a "fun gun" and easily shoot between 1/2 to 1/4 MOA with it.  Ruger American "is some good shootin' irons".  
The guy said he had done nothing but put a new trigger on it.  

Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2021 at 00:47
Sounds a good day and some good shooting!
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2021 at 11:45
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Nice shooting Dan!

I have a Ruger American in .308.  I've restocked it and put a Timney trigger on it...wears a Vortex Diamondback 4-16 tactical, originally paid $299.00 for the rifle... definitely the "cheapest" setup I own.  I have never really "born down" with it, got it as a "fun gun" and easily shoot between 1/2 to 1/4 MOA with it.  Ruger American "is some good shootin' irons".  

I remember  you talking about restocking yours but don't remember what stock you finally went with and why.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2021 at 22:34

Nice shooting Dan!

I remember  you talking about restocking yours but don't remember what stock you finally went with and why.

I first went with a Boyd's stock... it cracked the first time I shot with it, they replaced it... replacement cracked the second time I shot with it. Really disappointed, because restocking dramatically improved the accuracy.  Boyd's stocks are not for me.
 Replaced with a Magpul Hunter American...getting great results with it.  I am extremely pleased with the rifle.  I was shooting out to 800 meters with it at the range in Yuma.  Have only fired it to zero with the Arken Optics scope.  Will probably take .308's to the range next time.

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2021 at 09:47

Nice shooting Dan!

I first went with a Boyd's stock... it cracked the first time I shot with it, they replaced it... replacement cracked the second time I shot with it. Really disappointed, because restocking dramatically improved the accuracy.  Boyd's stocks are not for me.
 Replaced with a Magpul Hunter American...getting great results with it.  I am extremely pleased with the rifle.  I was shooting out to 800 meters with it at the range in Yuma.  Have only fired it to zero with the Arken Optics scope.  Will probably take .308's to the range next time.

Thanks Dan!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic