OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > The Roy D. Finn Memorial Knife Forum > Custom Knives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Wootz steel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wootz steel
    Posted: March/20/2021 at 11:02
Is My Damascus Blade Real or Fake? | Knife Depot

https://www.Ancient-Origins.net/Artifacts:-Ancient-technology/wootz-steel-Damascus-blades..

Wootz Makers and Production Methods - Bloomers and Buttons - Bladesmiths  Forum Board

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2021 at 12:31
The Key Role of Impurities in Ancient Damascus Steel Blades

https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?/topic/30985-wootz-makers-and-production-methods....

Visit the Ed Show
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2021 at 18:03
This post launched a casual hour of web surfing. Their is something about Damascus steel.

Currently I'm in the process of reclaiming a old 'Camillus US' combat blade blank I had forgotten about. I've developed this thing for getting rid of , or  giving away,  loose & miscellaneous parts and pieces I've accumulated. Hopefully, this blank will become a useful thing, and not just clutter that those who will have to clean up after me will just drag to the curb. 
I have an old(e) Japan hunting knife that the jigged handle had loosened I thought to re-cycle for the combat blade. 
I showed the the blank to the village cutler and told him of my plans. He suggested I do the prep work, and he slyly mentioned he had some stag that would work. Being on a tight budget I demurred. 
After some buffing and filing and a trip my buddy's 'dura-cote' garage,,,I'm thinking maybe leather & brass washers at the hilt and pommel w/ a roll of stag in betwixt,,,why not ?

That's my knife story for today !
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2021 at 06:55
Very fun! 

Here's some more history courses on Damascus.....

11.5.3 Forging a Wootz Sword

https://www.ancientpages.com/2020/05/28/ancient-secrets-damascus-steel-legendary-metal-used-crusaders-warriors/

A tale of crucible (wootz) steel from Ancient India - Sanskriti

https://www.sanskritimagazine.com/history/tale-crucible-wootz-steel-ancient-india/

Visit the Ed Show
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2021 at 10:09
I remember this article from 2001.  I remember printing it out. The article included a photo of a beautiful stag handled scimitar, an actual museum piece. I may still have the article in my files.

Edited by tahqua - March/27/2021 at 19:01
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic