OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

how do you install tikka rings?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote butterfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how do you install tikka rings?
    Posted: May/31/2021 at 13:37
I'm having trouble with these rings that came with my tikka T3, S132R967, and need some help.

I can't seem to stop my scope from sliding through the rings.  I've ruined a scope by over torqueing the rings in a futile attempt to stop them from sliding.  They appear to be making very little contact with the scope, see below.

I think one of the root issue is the non-half design, as in the top and bottom piece does not cover half the circumference of the scope.  Because of this, depending on your torque sequence, there maybe a gap difference between between the left or right side, see below.  In turn affecting clamp force.

Surface to surface.

When installing them, I did tighten them in multiple steps in attempt to avoid any gap difference.  I'm not sure if that's how you're suppose do it though.

Also, the top ring does not clear the scope without a little effort.  Seems to be by design as that section of the ring sits lower than the center of the scope.  That section is also where it seems to be making the most contact.

I really want to make these work; it would be a bummer to find out that it was an user error after lapping and/or getting new rings.  I feel like there's an installation procedure to these rings and I'm just not doing something right.  I couldn't find any torques specs or installation instructions.   Any help will be appreciated.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2021 at 16:31
Talleys and don’t look back.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2021 at 04:38
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

👍👍👍💥
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2021 at 20:18
I would put some spotting blue, like Dykem, on the scope and clamp it down. If you are getting good bearing, the  spotting blue will show up on the rings since they are light colored.
Doug
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2021 at 20:31
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

This will save you a whole lot of headache and be a better setup than you currently have for stability and longevity.

There are a few companies now that have mimicked talley's design.  There is a reason.  I put a set of talley's on a 5.5# 300wsm and the scope has never moved over hundreds of rounds fired. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2021 at 02:33
You don't install them you throw them away and use Talley lightweight ringmounts. 
Actually I have pulled the steel pin in them and used them for a pellet gun but not sure that counts. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
butterfinger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote butterfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2021 at 20:08
So, I contacted Beretta (U.S Tikka Importer/Distributor) and got the torque specs BUT turns out these rings were discontinued a few years back for the very same issue I'm having.  Isn't that just great!?

I don't know if lapping will help; setting the rings back to the same "lapped" position might be difficult as well.

Looks like I'll be needing some new rings.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2021 at 01:57
 You might want Talley Light weigh ringmounts.  (One less  thing to go wrong.) 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2021 at 02:27
I'd change the rings out. Sounds more trouble to fix than they are worth.

Scrummy
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2021 at 09:29
Those rings were discontinued because they were crap.  Switch to Talley or Warne.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic