OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Concerns in Vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Concerns in Vehicle
    Posted: June/01/2021 at 20:43
Discussing with a friend today and wanted y'all's experience and insight.  He keeps a bolt action 308 in his truck tool box. Temps around here are pretty high in summer and it's humid as a mofo.

He has a fairly decent scope on the gun.  Mounted in talley's I turned him onto years ago.  He claims that in 3 + years it has never shown any negative effects from the temps or humidity and each time he's needed it there has been no change in zero. I just think baking in the heat could potential damage a scope???

Any of you routinely keep weapons in vehicles that have traditional optics for extended periods?  Any issues?  

I've kept ARs with red dots or acogs but no regular scoped systems. 

Would my SS 3-9 fair fine baking in the cab of my truck over the years? In the storage system inside my camper shell?  I've never considered it an option,  not sure why,  just never have but the discussion has me thinking about it.  

Often wished for the just in case situation I had a scoped weapon in vehicle but always hesitate to do it. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2021 at 02:30
I don't see a huge problem with it so long as the case has some padding (rough ride could be a problem).    I used to carry a bolt action Rem 700  30-06 in the trunk of the patrol car on the Texas Coast.  Just clean and maintain it and  check the zero periodically.  If its a hard case throw a desiccant pack in. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2021 at 08:21
Back in the "old days", growing up, we never had "truck guns" with scope on them... iron sights, always.  However, over time, bonding materials, design and implementation have improved considerably.  However, like most everything with rifle scopes, it depends.  I've seen low dollar scopes carried in desert and mountain conditions that shot just fine during and after long exposure to temperature extremes and some high dollar scope failures with less exposure... and I've seen just the opposite.  Once put a brand new Aimpoint on my .375 H&H, zeroed it to 1/2 MOA, drove to Texas for a hog hunt and missed the only shot I got with it at a hog... got back to Alabama, checked zero and it was 8 inches high and 1 inch right at 100yards.  Temperatures in both locations were in mid to high 80's, 60% humidity, approximate same elevations.  Rifle never experienced any significant environmental changes... perhaps something shook around in travel.  
I don't know how to tell for sure if carrying a rifle/scope around in a truck tool box will impact it other than frequent checking.  However, I've seen guys carry a truck gun around for years without firing it (or so they claim), pull up to a hunting stand, get out and wait for a while, hit a shot on a deer at 200 yards, drive down pick it up and haul it back to camp and dress it out... throw the rifle back in the gun rack, ready for next time, however long that may be...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Chipmaker330 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chipmaker330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2021 at 18:05
I used to keep a "window gun" in the house for varmint control that would take direct afternoon sun for hours. Those were the good old days before AC and window glass coatings, so the temperature surely got up there. Never had an issue until I forgot to flip the caps back down. I think it had a magnifying glass effect, and cooked the seals from the inside! Haven't made that mistake again. Yet. I don't know so much about lens adhesives, but other than that, the o-rings are probably the weakest link. Even the most basic ones should be good for close to 200F. As long as it was not in continuous, direct sun, I think most should be expected to hold up fine. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic