OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Higher Power Magnifiers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Higher Power Magnifiers
    Posted: February/10/2023 at 10:46
G45 is not my favourite magnifier in the whole wide world.  There isn't a whole lot you can tell from the specs, to be honest.  Personally, I mostly prefer smaller 3x magnifiers.  I do have the 6x from Aimpoint and it is pretty decent, but expensive.  PA has a new 6x magnifier in their GLx line that looked veyr respectable at SHOT, but I have not tested it at the range.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2023 at 12:36
As power increases, FOV decreases and eye box becomes more critical.  I've not used the EOTech G45, only the 43 and 33...neither has eye box issues.  
I've had in hand, not on a rifle the Feyachi 1.5-5.  For the price, not bad, but not great to my eye... but, it is difficult to get much of a view with sight in one hand and the magnifier in another.  Eye box did seem to get more critical as I increased power, but not bad for under $100.00.  I did not purchase one.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Social_Artifice View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Social_Artifice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2023 at 16:05
I've got other magnified optics.  And I've tried other prism optics (as I understand it a magnifier is principally a prism optic) and the G45 has the tiniest area in terms of head/eye placement to see any picture at all, good or bad.  And the worst part of it is the restrictive front back placement.  I can manage the restrictive lateral movement (side to side, up and down) but forward/back is so limiting its barely functional.  I was hoping to find a higher power magnifier that was more generous.  

I guess my question is, can I discern without using the "eye box" of other magnifiers?  Or is it more of a guessing game?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2023 at 14:55
OK, eye box generally refers to a relationship between the eye center and the center of the optic...if the eye is not centered on the optic center, there will be a degradation of what can be seen (not as important with non-magnified sights).  Holographic sights and Red Dot SIghts (RDS) generally have very forgiving eye box (some claim zero eye box degradation) that is degraded (at varying amounts depending on the sight and the magnifier) with magnifiers.  5x magnifier could make your eye-to-center alignment much more critical and will also create larger light degradation effects.  3x would not have as great an impact on eye box or light conditions and would also have a better field of view, noticeably.  If you have astigmatism, holo sights are better than RDS.  
Making sure of one's eye position to center of scope alignment will help, but a magnifier will produce greater criticality.  I currently use a SigRomeo5 with the Juliet3 3x magnifier on one of my 300BLK rifles.  There is a noticeable difference in eye alignment criticality with the Juliet3 engaged, though it is certainly not enough to cause me a problem.  

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Social_Artifice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2023 at 11:04
By eye box I mean the area that you can be in and see the full picture through the magnifier.  Front to back, side to side, up down, I guess I mean Eye Cube, but generally the space given you to align your eye to see the complete image. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2023 at 16:56
Please describe your meaning for "eyebox".  

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2023 at 15:34
Welcome Joe, sorry about the response time but maybe a fairly specific question. Hopefully someone who has had experience with your optic may be able to help you.
God save the Empire!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Social_Artifice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2023 at 14:27
Does commenting on my own post bump it?  What is the typical response time on a post on here?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Social_Artifice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2023 at 11:34
So I've been poking around on this subject and not been able to find any useful information.  If this topic is covered elsewhere please direct me. 

I'm trying to find a good high power magnifier for my Eotech.  I have a G45, and while the eye relief is good, the eyebox is not functional to me, its just so small.

I was trying to shop other magnifiers in the range of 4-6 power, and while there are many options they do not list useful metrics on them beyond sometimes posting eye relief occasionally. 

As I'm newer to optics in general, I think what I want to know is, eyebox, eye relief and exit pupil.  Is there any way to discern these metrics my self from available data?  Is there anyone who has reviewed or compared the offerings out there recently, as I notice most of the offerings are in the last 3 years to few months. 

I see Sig, Vortex, Eotech, Primary arms and Aimpoint all have high power magnifiers. 

Thanks for your help and direction here.  I don't want to throw money at another dud.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic