OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Shooting Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trykon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shooting Question
    Posted: November/04/2006 at 00:38
I went to sight in my rifle today (7mm Rem Mag).  I shot 3 150gr Remingtom Srirocos at 50 yards and grouped them great.  Moved the scope accordingly and then shot at 100 with the same bullet with a decent group.  I moved the scope accordingly. I used the remington's to get the scope close before i shot the ammo i planned to hunt with 140 gr Winchest silver ballistic tips.  When i shot the Winchesters i could not get a consistent group to save my life.  The bullets would just scatter.  I was out of the remingtons so i shot some federal Vital Shock 150gr ballistic tips at 100 yards too.  The 3 Federal bullets i had mad a group the size of a quarter at 100 yards.  So i just went and bought some more Federal Vital Shock bullets to finish my zero at 200 yards.  I'm just curious if anyone else has ever shot a load that just would not group out of their gun.  My gun would group the remington's fairly well, the Winchester wouldn't group at all, but the federals would group 3 the size of a quarter at 100.  I'm shooting a Remington Model 700 BDL.
Trykon View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trykon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2006 at 00:39
I'm planning on hunting with the federals now.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2006 at 01:31
Every barrel has a mind of its own.  It is not uncommon for a particular load to group great in one gun and badly in another gun. 

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2006 at 03:38

Winchester Silver Tips are moly coated, are they not?

I had a Sako .300 Win mag. that didn't care for the moly coated either.

If you want to hunt with moly coated bullets, you need to "season" the barrel with a box of them before your groups will tighten up.  

So say the "experts" around here....(shrug)

I say, I wouldn't use a moly coated bullet with any of my stuff in the first place.

Be sure to get all that moly crap out of that barrel.

Try some Barnes CR-10 and nylon brushes.

Everytime I go to the range, I see some guy(s) with a box of the newest, greatest, expensive, whiz-bang ammo.   

I guess they think that this new round developed by NASA, will compensate for their lack of marksmanship skills.

Nobody hunt with a damn Nosler Partition anymore or what?!?!?

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Anthony View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2006 at 16:30

you should also be sure that you are shooting with a cold barrel, after each shot wait until it feels cold, you don't have to wait until it's really cold but it shouldn't be warm.

you can tell if thats the problem when the groups are really big but in some way consistant.

I have found that the blue box economy federal loads shoot sub-moa on my weatherby vanguard, and pretty much everything else I have ranging from 15-40 bucks a box just creeps all over the place.

CT: you can't get through to anyone by screaming on top of crate anymore.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2006 at 16:54
Originally posted by Anthony Anthony wrote:

CT: you can't get through to anyone by screaming on top of crate anymore.

Right on...

That rant wasn't meant for the original poster on this thread any way.

It was meant for these coconuts that go to my range......

And now.... back to your normally scheduled programing.... 

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2006 at 07:40
Shoot whatever your rifle likes and be sure the barrel is cool before shooting your next shot.  I do not use winchester ammo so I cannot comment on it specifically.  The silver tips, according to their literature are lubalox coated, not moly.  I am not exactly sure what the chemical difference is, but both are suppose to reduce barrel fouling.  I have found, if you clean your barrel regularly, these products are not needed and you pay extra for something you do not need.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2006 at 09:27

Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Shoot whatever your rifle likes and be sure the barrel is cool before shooting your next shot.  I do not use winchester ammo so I cannot comment on it specifically.  The silver tips, according to their literature are lubalox coated, not moly.  I am not exactly sure what the chemical difference is, but both are suppose to reduce barrel fouling.  I have found, if you clean your barrel regularly, these products are not needed and you pay extra for something you do not need.

Doc Dolphin,

Those products have are geared towards getting more feet per second out of a given amount of powder. A reduction in fouling is a side effect.  That was the whole reason Winchester brought out the Black Talon line. they could get an extra 50 fps out of a pistol barrel without having to go +P.  The reason you have to "season" the barrel is that the barrels often have have minor tool marks ect. That's why the barrels foul in the first place.  OR why J-B borepaste is your friend

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2006 at 11:22
So what is the deal with the above shooters poo pooing the idea of using these products.  I appreciate the info.  I have usually used Remington Core Lokt for hunting and in my Wby rifles, Wby ammo.  This year I purchased, for my Wby rifles, cartridges from Conley precision cartridges (30-378 Wby, 300 Wby and 7mm STW) all with Nosler BTs.  How do you rate the Winchester ammo against the Remington stuff.  I have always used Remington and have never had any poor grouping, at least from the standpoing for hunting and have always been satisfied in the field.  I have never had one deer run.  Should I give some a try and which type would you recommend.  Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2006 at 14:30

Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

The silver tips, according to their literature are lubalox coated, not moly.  I am not exactly sure what the chemical difference is, but both are suppose to reduce barrel fouling.  I have found, if you clean your barrel regularly, these products are not needed and you pay extra for something you do not need.

I stand corrected.

It's coated kind of like the Barnes XLC's then??

To it's credit, I have seen moly coated bullets help out a couple of shot out barrels.

Accuracy after the moly rounds were shot was restored.    

Trykon View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trykon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 17:50
Whatever the coating the winchesters have they don't shoot well out of my rifle.  However the Remington Sciroco's shot well and the Federal Vital Shock Balltistic tips shot well also.  I just want purchase anymore of the overpriced winchesters.  I will just purchase the remingtons or federals.  I shot today and was very pleased with the Vital Shocks grouping.  I had a group the size of a quarter at 200 yards today.  I was very pleased with that so i'm just going to stick with them for the hunting season.
Anthony View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2006 at 20:49
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

It was meant for these coconuts that go to my range......

So it was meant for scootz and all those that aimlessly follow him, and of course Mike McDonald, right?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic