OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Howa, Tikka, or Vanguard: Which One?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8Runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Howa, Tikka, or Vanguard: Which One?
    Posted: November/25/2006 at 23:26

I know this is an optics forum, but I can't ignore the fact that the optic geniuses that frequent this forum obviously know their rifles too.

I trashed the idea of purchasing a Remington 700 CDL, so now I have a Sightron SII scope w/ no home.  Therefore, my quest for a rifle continues...........hopefully with your help, my Sightron won't be homeless for long.

I want a .270WSM, unfortunately Remington failed to make one in the Rem 700 line (Model 7 is too small).  As always, I am on a budget and I am down to 3 models that will still allow me to feed my Boys.  I will be hunting terrain much like the West w/ shots up to 350 yards.

1) Howa 1500 JRS Classic Laminated Blue

2) Tikka T3 Camo SS (I heard the magazine is plastic so longevity/durability is a question, I can't see a plastic mag lasting for 20+yrs), but I like the reviews and accuracy.

3) Weatherby Vanguard Sporter (I heard it's a Howa action and it's close to 8lbs), accuracy is guaranteed like the Tikka.

Thank you,

Sean

seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2006 at 23:42
Howa rifles are the same thing as the Wby Vanguard.  Both are very accurate. The Tikkas are nice, too.

You may want to give some of the Savage models a look.  The Accu-Trigger is awesome, and they may be the most accurate out-of-the-box rifle made.

http://www.savagearms.com/16fss.htm
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2006 at 00:08

Take the Howa 1500 JRS and never look back. Love the stock design and feel. For all intensive purposes, the Howa 1500 is the same as the Vanguard. As a side note, Remington makes (or made) the 700 SPS in 270 WSM and 300 WSM.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles /model_700/model_700_SPS_specs.asp

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2006 at 06:43

The only reason I would get the Vandguard is that you can get a sub-moa version for an upgrade in price. That means 3/4 moa or less. The really good ones have been culled out and marked up.  Tikka says it will shot 1moa or less or it does not leave the factory.  YMMV

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

8Runner View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8Runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2006 at 12:17

I am partial to wood and blue guns, as such Howa's lam/blue model caught my eye on gunsamerica (hopefully there's a gun shop here in Hawaii w/ a Howa).  How much does the Howa 1500 JRS Laminate weigh?  I couldn't find a site stating the weight of these rifles.  Is the Howa's action exactly the same as Vanguard w/ "3 rings of steel" etc.?  Is the trigger easy to adjust?  I know info on Howa's are limited, but any knowledge of these rifles will be appreciated.  Thanks.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976679867.htm

Yes, I forgot about the Model 700 SPS; I didn't like the stock design w/ the rubber patch look, I may have purposely forgotten about this model.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2006 at 12:28

Check out this site for specs.  www.legacysports.com

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2006 at 20:04
I'd take a Tikka over a Vanguard/Howa.  Plastic magazines are actually quite durable and I have not heard anything bad about TIkka magazines.  I do like the straight feed of the Tikka as well.

ILya
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2006 at 20:43
Here we go back to the Howa/Wby. Vanguard vs. Tikka argument.  I love my Vanguards and Howas and as far as I am concerned, for hunting purposes 1 and a half MOA at 100 yards is good as anything less, especially when this accuracy, probably is not going to be achieved shooting from a stand, compared to a vise.  I am still waiting for my Tikka to give a review and comparison, albeit at the cost difference.  I have to agree with Koshkin, the plastic or shall I say polycarbonate magazines do not bother me and they do not rust.  They should also be inexpensive to be replaced.  No need to be worried about dings and bends that could interfere with cartridge feeding also.  The major difference between the baseline Howas and Wby. Vanguards, is that they have been spruced up, so to speak, but the basic action is the same, which have no problem with, because mine have worked flawlessly, without jamming or misfires.  If you want to do all weather hunting get the Vanguard synthetic SS or equivalent Howa and save a substantial amount over the Tikka lite SS and put the money into a good scope.  Elite 4200 or Sightron SS.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2006 at 20:47
One more thing, the Wby. Vanguard sporter is a gorgeous rifle with beautiful wood.  And if you get the Wby., I would sugget the 300Wby. magnum.  All the magnum cartridges are expensive, but that extra power, may come in handy for shooting larger game, if the time ever comes and you need the power. 
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2006 at 22:15
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2006 at 06:38
Forgot, you have a Sightron.  I just purchased the Tikka Hunter for 513.95, plus 3% for Visa and 25 for s/h from discountgunner.  But www.budsgunshop.com has the Tikka hunter in a 270 WSM for 511.83 plus s/h and you can save your money over the Deluxe and buy more of the expensive ammo.  The Wby. Vanguard Sporter in a 300 Wby. mag. can be had from www.reedssports.com for 489.99  or in the 270 WSM.  I prefer the latter, until I get my Tikka and do a complete review, with which I also will be using a Sightron SII.  I think you will be happy with any of the rifles above, as they have all gotten great reviews from multiple magazines and I have not heard a bad word about any of them.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2006 at 07:39

One thing I would like to mention, is Wby. customer service.  I have no experience with Tikka service and if anyone has, please feel free to post their experiences.  I own several Mark Vs, one Vanguard and 2 Howas.  All of the Wbys. were purchased "used", some brand new, but from private sellers.  None, from a gunshop.  I have called Wby. on multiple occasions to ask technical questions about the rifles and have always gotten the same operator who either sends me to the appropriate person or gives me a toll-free number and gives me an estimated time when I should call back.  I have talk with the gunsmiths, tech support, custom department and parts, all who have been pleasant and never seemed rushed, to get me off of the phone.  There main goal, was to make sure I was satisfied, with respect to making sure my questions were answered.  I purchased a 30-378 Accumark and thought I did not get the wrench for the Accubrake (as it turns out I did).  I called Wby., they connected me to parts promptly and I asked how I should pay for the wrench and they said it was at no charge and they would ship it out and I have since received it.  When the old Vanguard bolts were recalled, of course they replaced them at no cost, but they also payed for shipping and handling and reimbursed me for shipping the bolt to them.  Customer service goes a long way when choosing any product to purchase.  Just a thought.

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2006 at 08:59

ok -

i have never had a howa, so i can't relate - but, i DO have a tikka T3 - and couldn' be happier.

i have had a lower-end weatherby, and it wasn't anything to write home about.

the action, accuracy, and trigger assembly(2 stage)  on the T3 are nothing short of wonderful -

guaranteed sub 1moa out of the box - and the plastic clip, it fits nicely and is easy to work with. NOT a problem.

you can't go wrong w/ the the tikka - you can even take the trigger down to 2 pounds, but i left mine around 3 and

everyone that feels it is impressed - and the service comes from berretta, the importer, and every experience of mine so far /w

beretta has been fine, so, buy w/ confidence.

good luck and happy hunting.

J

never e nuff View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote never e nuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2006 at 11:02
All the above rifles are good, it is simply a matter of personal preference. I am sure that the tikka magazine is durible but you will not belive how much a spare will cost you,my friend who bought one said it was almost a $50 bill. The Howa is a fine rifle, but I do not think it comes with a magazine. The sister Weatherby Vanguard now comes as a barreled action from howa, and is stocked with a weatherby profiled wood or synthetic. You must pay a stiff premium to get the accuracy guarantee though. I personally would have to agree with Seattlesetters and look long and hard at the Savage 14 american classic. This rifle has a nice walnut stock,a steel detachable magazine,the accutrigger,and a high luster blue finish. I have seen and shot a large number of all types of rifles. I have not seen a Savage rifle that could not produce sub-moa groups. Contact Johns sportswear,surplus in Hilo, Hawaii. Good Luck! I sure wish we could get moonfish here in Minnesota.
"The only interesting rifle is an accurate rifle."     Townsend Whelen
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2006 at 12:39
I agree with never e nuff, Savage makes great rifles and the 2 that I own, are right on the money.  I still love that Wby. Vanguard Sporter and the beautiful wooden stock.  Here in NC, at least where I live, you ain't nothing, unless you shoot a Browning A-bolt or BAR.  It doesn't matter whether you shoot a Sako, Tikka, Wby., Savage, Ruger, Winchester, Blaser, Sauer, Voere, Mauers, etc, you ain't squat.  So find the rifle you like, that fits you.  Go to a gun shop and have your scope mounted on the above rifles mentioned, handle them as you would hunting.  Aiming in various hunting positions and most importantly, make sure the LOP fits well.  All of the above noted guns will do their job.  Pick the one that fits you and the one you like and feels best in your hands.  You will know, after handling several of the above noted rifles.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2006 at 13:48

AMEN - everyone has their favorites.

including me.

J

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic