OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Elite 4200 vs leupold vx III

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The long rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elite 4200 vs leupold vx III
    Posted: December/01/2006 at 05:31
Hello everyone, I am new here (just joined this morning) I need help deciding between two scopes. My choices are the Bushnell 4200 2.5 X 10 X 40 silver and the Leupold VX III  3 X 10 X 40 silver. I have never looked through either scope, I own two Nikon monarch scopes 4 X 12 x40 and the 3 X 10 X 44 I love these scopes but, I want to buy a silver scope for my new Remington 700 stainless. 
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 08:44

Welcome to the board.  Good to have your here.

With regard to the two scopes you're considering, I'd go with the Bushnell Elite 4200.  Couple of reasons for my opinion. 

1) Identical warranty;

2) Elite 4200 glass is better from brightness, clarity & resolution standpoints;

3) Priced $100 LESS than the Leupold VX III

You're going to be hard-pressed to find a better value for the money than the Elite 4200 series.  Should serve you very well for your intended applications.

Good luck to you & let us know what you decide...

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 09:09

i second that motion - well said -

go 4200, you'll never look back.

J

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 10:48

I Don't.  I strongly prefer the Leupold and believe that it is worth the difference and I dont think the warranty or service after the sale is equal I believe that Leupold is better. Not only that but they make a better looking scope and a more useful reticle. The "gun metal gray" is rather a dark silver and quite attractive on a stainless rifle and if you really want bright silver they have that too.

LEU61525 Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-III Riflescope Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-III Riflescope
  • Limited Edition
  • Gun Metal Gray
  • Boone & Crockett
  • 1"
  • Index Matched Lens System
  • Free Leupold Ballistic Aiming Training CD w/ Purchase
  • Free One-year Membership to Boone and Crockett Club's Associates Program w/ Purchase
SWFA: $599.95
More Info... Buy Now

LEU61550 Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-III Riflescope Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-III Riflescope
  • Limited Edition
  • Gun Metal Gray
  • Duplex
  • 1"
SWFA: $529.95
More Info... Buy Now

<
LEU58040 Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-III Riflescope Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-III Riflescope
  • Silver
  • Varmint Hunters
  • 1"
SWFA: $679.95
More Info... Buy Now

LEU58030 Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-III Riflescope Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-III Riflescope
  • Silver
  • Boone & Crockett
  • 1"
  • Free Leupold Ballistic Aiming Training CD w/ Purchase
  • Free One-year Membership to Boone and Crockett Club's Associates Program w/ Purchase
SWFA: $679.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 11:52

Leupold is known for having one of the best warranties out there.  Most companies offer a life time warranty, but Leupold has a great reputation for taking care of any problems a customer may have.  Leupold scopes gnerally offer great eye relief so if the scope is going on a real shoulder slammer that is a valid concern.

Personally, I have never in the last two and a half decades that I have been hunting needed to send any scope in for repair work, so for me I would look to glass.  As far as glass goes the 4200 Elite has better glass and its cheaper. 

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 11:56

The 4200 is a much better scope than the Leupold, you get a better performing scope for a

a substantialy less amount of money. Aside from all the features listed above it also has

the Rainguard coating which really works on repleing water. The 3-9x40 is a much better

value at $260 than the 2.5-10x40. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 11:56

Yeah, i have never had to send any scopes back for work, in any model for that matter -

so i can't speak of warranties/support.  But maybe that is a bad sign for leupold, that people have actually

reported problems and recieved good support? 

The glass/coatings on my 4200 is as good or better than my zeiss conquest.

save your money!!!

J

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 12:32
Elite 4200 is a better scope optically and, in my experience, tougher.  While Leupold customer service is indeed quite good, I never had to send an Elite 4200 back, while I did have an opportunity to use Leupold customer service.

The only things that Leupold has over Elite 4200 are reticle selection and weight.  I think Elite 4200 scopes are a bit heavier than comparable Leupold VX-3.

Elite 4200 offers better glass, possibly tougher construction (this is arguable of course), and 4x erector system vs Leupold's 3x.

ILya
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 14:06
Koshkin makes good points as usual. I think another area that the Elite 4200 wins is in the ability to hold zero and track better (more accurately) than a VX3. This has been my personal experience. Even if the VX3 were the same price as the Elite 4200, I would take the 4200 without reservation. I would, however, say that if my primary concern was eye relief, I would probably go with the Leupold, after installing a good recoil pad and muzzle break failed of course. I believe that part of the reason that Leupold scopes cost more is due to the huge selection they offer in finishes and reticle selection. It's got to add to the cost of doing business. I believe that Leupold should make more of these finish and reticle selections optional, through their Custom Shop, instead of making all consumers take the hit. I will say that Leupold's customer service is the industry standard.
The long rider View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The long rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 17:08

Hey guys, thanks so much for all the replys. It looks like I saved about a $100.00 asking this question, because I was ready to go with the leupold VX III  Being higher in price, I thought it would be a little brighter or sharper. 

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 18:58

Dang, I hate it when I'm too busy at work and miss out on a good Leupold bashing!

I have never owned a 4200 but I've looked through a few.  I own several VX III's.  (I suspect the reverse is true for most of the posters above: never owned a VX III, but looked through a few.  May own a 4200).  My impression of the 4200 is that it's a very good scope.  Too long and heavy, and I hate that funky colored writing they put on them.  May be a bit brighter than an equivalent Leupold.  Here's why I would always choose a Leupold over a 4200; 1) In 40+ years of using them I've never had to use the famous warranty, and I belive I've had about 30 Leupolds.  2) Size and weight are important to me  3) I use scopes for shooting what I'm looking at, not viewing.  Leupold has always let me do that  4)  My VX III's have all had perfect adjustment and reapeatability, no scope could do better  5) Generally better eye relief 6) Rainguard has been proven in tests to be no advantage 

Bottom line: if you like the 4200, get it.  You'll have a good scope.  If you want a Leupold (lot's of people do), get it and don't worry that it's $100 more.  Me and thousands of others think it's worth it.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 19:59

Forget the VX III, save for the VX-7. Stay away from numbers like 666, number 7 is lucky.

Leupold will make you a lucky person. Do not mind the bad optics you are now part of us.

We are thousands of lucky ones. Money does not mater, give it to us.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 20:13
I wonder if there's a 12 step program for that illness as well.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 21:03
OK, it's time to 'fess up and really be honest.  How many of y'all have bought any VX III, put it on a rifle, sighted it in, and used it for a season?  This sort of information is hard to come by here.  A while back, I asked members to list the optics they actually owned.  I think one person responded.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 21:43

As a fomer member of the Leupold Cult I would like to admit that I have owned 4

VX-III's, Two 4-14x40 LR 30MM SF RE reticle models one  gloss and one Matte, 

1 PR Tac 4-14x50 Mil-Dot and VX-III 1-5x20 CD.

Here is a list of Leupold Scopes I have owned, I will need a hug here:

Vari-XIII tac 1" 4-14x40AO Mil-Dot

Vari-XIII tac 1" 3-10x40 Mil-dot

Vari-XIII tac 30MM 4-14x50 SF Mil-Dot

Vari-XIII tac 30MM 3-10x40 SF Mil-Dot

Mark 4 M1 10x40 T-Dot

Mark 4 M1 16x40 Mil-Dot

VXIII 1-5x20 CD

Mark 4 M3 10x40 Mil-Dot

VXIII PR tac SF 30MM 4-14x50 Mil-Dot

VXIII 4-14x40 30MM LR RE SF x2

Mark 4 M1 4-14x50 SF 0.5 Milidran(still own,

will replace with Zeiss or a S&B 0.5 Milidran 

if it comes out).

Related Topic:

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4937&PN=1& amp;TPN=3

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2006 at 21:56

I have shot 2 rifles that had VX3's on them and I don't feel that they were any better than the 3 main hunting rifles that I own (a custom 280 Ackley, custom 06 and a Remy CS 300 WM) that had Vari-XIII on each one. I can honestly say that the 4200's(one is actually still a 4000 that's over 10 yrs. old) hold zero better and track better. I can make this statement based on the fact that these three particular rifles are extremely accurate and a good judge of scope tracking ability. Two of these rifles have been on numerous trips to Sask., and arrived without losing zero. Something I cannot say for the Leupold's that were on them previously. One thing that I find puzzling, is how the 4.5-14 Vari-X could hold zero well if it were just subjected to recoil only from the 300 WM that it was on and each time it was subjected to airline travel it was knocked off. Maybe I don't really want to know how my rifles were handled, but that fact remains. I realize that this isn't exactly the Aberdeen testing grounds, but it is probably a fair comparison to the average hunter's experience.

Now, tell me Mike, how many 4200's that you have owned, shot, hunted with or traveled with that have outperformed the VX3's you also own. You did clearly state that that "no scope could do better". How did you determine this without owning a 4200, just "looked through a few". Are there some changes in design to the VX3's that make them shine above the Vari-XIII's in terms of durability that I am not aware of. Size and weight are important to me as well, especially when wife hunting.  

My Leupold list is shorter:

1 4x Leupold

1 2-7 Vari-XII

2 2.5-8 Vari-XIII

1 1.75-6 Vari-XIII

1 4.5-14 Vari-XIII

miket_81 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miket_81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2006 at 11:21

Here is my list

vari-XII 3-9X40

vari-xIII3.5-10X50

4200 3-9X40

4200 3-9X40

4200 3-9X40

4200 2.5-10X40

4200 4-16X40

4200 6-24X40 mill dot

4200 6-24X40 side focus

4200 8-32X40

3200 3-9X40

3200 3-9X40

3200 1.5-4.5X32

ledgend 4-12X40

scope chief V 1.5-4.5X?

new*sigtron SII 2.5-7X32

zeiss conquest 3-9X40

nikon buckmaster 4.5-14X40 matte

nikon buckmaster 4.5-14X40 silver

I have had some others from various brands but this is my list as of now. I shoot alot I mean alot (have my own range) and have done lots of testing and really like the elites. The conquests and sightrons are nice though.

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2006 at 11:35

I believe I was clear in my post that I have never owned a 4200, and that I was complimentary of the ones I had seen.  As far as no scope doing better in adjustments and repeatability, the 6 VX IIII's I've had (still have four of them) have all functioned perfectly; and it's not possible to get better than perfect.  4200's may function perfectly, too.

Note that the Vari X III is NOT the same as the VX III (big differences to me).

As far as the "brainwashed Leupold cult" goes, I bought my first Leupold when Bushnell only made $20 scopes, and 40 years of experience doesn't qualify as "brainwashed".  It's just satisfaction with good products.   Leupold is kind of like my wife; there are youner and prettier women around that catch my eye, but I always go back home where I know what I've got.  But, if I wanted to spend a lot for all my scopes, and have a Kahles CL on everything. 

If you go back through my posts, you'll notice that I've never said Leupold was "the best".  You'll also notice that I've never bashed any other brand.  If somebody is happy with what they have, it's a real disservice to tell them it sucks and they could do a whole lot better.  If they want advice, I'll tell them what I've found to be true. 

Finally, about Leupold being overpriced, the definition of value is what someone will pay for something.  Leupold is a VERY successful company.  The fact that they sell so many products dispels the notion that they are "overpriced".  They may be too expensive for you (I wouldn't buy an LPS, or probably one of the new VX 7's for that matter), but until they start losing market share, they are not overpriced.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2006 at 11:43

Could you answer my original question, please? What are the "big differences" between the Vari-XIII and the VX3, particularly with regard to durability and repeatability? I know that they have improved the glass. Thanks in advance, Mike.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2006 at 17:26

Mwyates I am sorry to say by your countinued aliegance to Leupold you are actualy spending a lot for not a whole lot.

Leupold is not the scope or the company it ounce was, it was very good at one time but not any more. Most of the

people that log on here for advice have a low budget and the few that are willing to sacrafice for something nice why not

present them with something nice that will justify the cost. When I recommend products here at the OT I encourage

people to spend the little extra and I want them to get more than what they expected. Why settle for less? We call the

shots not marketing. I admire your loyalty for Leupold but this is a new generation with new products and the quality

and features have changed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic