OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Building a custom rifle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: At what point would chose a custom made rifle over factory?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
5 [26.32%]
1 [5.26%]
7 [36.84%]
5 [26.32%]
1 [5.26%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building a custom rifle?
    Posted: December/04/2006 at 20:22

Given some of the discussions on factory rifles we have had recently.  At what point do you say "I am getting one "tailor" made to my specs." ?

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

noddah View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 21:41
Between custom shop rifles out of Remington and out of the box accuracy you can get from Steyr, Sauer and even the folks from Sako & Tikka; it is MHO that you really need to go north of $2,000 to 3,000 to get any real return on "better."
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 21:50

I have a M700 KS and consider it to be semi-custom. Not made to personal order but not made on the line either. I don't even know if the Coopers are a true custom but the ones I'm looking at are $1500+. With that said, I know some people that are getting some really fine accuracy out of Sako and Tikka rifles. Sometimes it just comes down to wanting something that is uncommon and of very high quality.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 21:55
The Remington Custom Shop 700 I own will shoot with any custom made hunting rifle I have ever come across. I don't know if it was a fluke, but it will shoot better than most varmint rigs when I feed it Nosler 180 gr.BT's. IMO, you can spend WAY more and get very little in return. As far as the Cooper rifles are concerned, they are the last step prior to a full blown custom. I have a Cooper Custom Classic in 22lr and it is stunning. You can choose almost any wood option, within reason, sling swivels, steel checkered butt plates and grip caps and, in the centerfire rifles, almost any caliber including wildcats you want.
noddah View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 22:09

Here is a custom rifle company; they make a real good end product. Go to the build a custom rifle and check prices...

http://www.christensenarms.com/

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 22:10
I'm with you there. I have hand loads shooting half inch groups in 7mm Rem mag. Considering that I think 1.5 inches is minute of whitetail, I'm real happy, and it sure gives confidence. There is no way I can sneak a Cooper into the safe. Even my wife would notice the wood they use.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2006 at 22:20
tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 00:26

I am someone who has a passion for rifles.  They are more than just a tool to me.  I am considering having a custom made but not because I want to improve accuracy.  I have some very accurate factory rifles.  My problem is that there are no fine factory rifles being produced today.  When I say fine, I mean with classic lines, hand cut wrap around checkering and fine walnut.  There are plenty of tools with synthetic stocks and stainless barrels but no nice rifles.  I have been looking for a 375 H&H for over a year and have yet to find a nice rifle for a decent price.  My price is anything up to about $3000.  I really like the Dakota and Empire semi-custom rifles but those are a fair more expensive.  The problem is that I doubt that I could get a custom in my price range.  I don't understand why the factory companies can't make a good classic style safari rifle with decent walnut.  I have heard that Kimber has a prototype being tested, I can only hope that they get the styling right.

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 07:00

I will stick to factory guns that are good to start with. 

And then buy 4 or so different boxes of cartridges. 

I then find the cartridge my gun likes and make note and stock up.

If i can't get what i need out of that method, i move on.

a gun IS a tool for me though, it's just got to get the job done. nothing more.

J

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 07:07

But with that said - if can spend 1000 bucks and get something exactly suited for me?

i would be interested in that - but the last 2 rifles i have bought were a sako 30.06 and a tikka 7mm08 and were $679 and $549 respectively.

they both shoot under an inch off of sandbags.  i love the actions AND triggers on those rifles, like they WERE made for me.

it's hard for me to see the need to go custom.  I would rather put the money back into the glass.

even savages and brownings will tackdrive out of the box nowadays.

my 2 cents.

J

OK hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 14:38
Originally posted by tbone1 tbone1 wrote:

I am someone who has a passion for rifles.  They are more than just a tool to me.  I am considering having a custom made but not because I want to improve accuracy.  I have some very accurate factory rifles.  My problem is that there are no fine factory rifles being produced today.  When I say fine, I mean with classic lines, hand cut wrap around checkering and fine walnut.  There are plenty of tools with synthetic stocks and stainless barrels but no nice rifles.  I have been looking for a 375 H&H for over a year and have yet to find a nice rifle for a decent price.  My price is anything up to about $3000.  I really like the Dakota and Empire semi-custom rifles but those are a fair more expensive.  The problem is that I doubt that I could get a custom in my price range.  I don't understand why the factory companies can't make a good classic style safari rifle with decent walnut.  I have heard that Kimber has a prototype being tested, I can only hope that they get the styling right.

Check out the Blaser line of rifles.  You can choose left or right hand, synthetic or fine wood, a multitude of calibers and you can switch calibers in a moment's notice with extra barrels.  The triggers break like peppermint sticks and the scope mounts affix to the barrel.  Currently, they are being imported by Sig but that is about to change. 

www.sigarms.com

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 14:53

but what do they cost? and can they shoot?

J

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 15:06
One custom I saw here was from the now closed Winchester Custom Shop that I think was posted by SVD666. If I were looking to spend 3K on a wood stocked looker/shooter, that would be what I wanted. Of course, that means trips to gun broker type sites, but there are some real nice used rifles to be had for 3K IMO.
OK hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 15:12

They are extremely accurate.  Barrels cost around $575 - $800, depending on caliber.  I bought a synthetic LH in 7mm-08 for $1,400 and a prestige with two barrels for $2,100.  They were both used but were in as new condition.  I now have barrels in .222 Remington, .243 Winchester, 7mm-08 Remington and .308 Winchester.

What cannot be compared is the custom rifle with a switch barrel rifle.  I have 2 beautiful rifles with 4 barrels for less than $3,500.  There are so many things about the Blaser line  that are unique and notworthy, I would recommend the Blaserpro forum to you.  Go to www.blaserpro.com and cruise all  the forums there.  Feel free to ask questions and you will quickly learn why owners think so highly of  them.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 16:42
Originally posted by jonbravado jonbravado wrote:

But with that said - if can spend 1000 bucks and get something exactly suited for me?

i would be interested in that - but the last 2 rifles i have bought were a sako 30.06 and a tikka 7mm08 and were $679 and $549 respectively.

they both shoot under an inch off of sandbags.  i love the actions AND triggers on those rifles, like they WERE made for me.

it's hard for me to see the need to go custom.  I would rather put the money back into the glass.

even savages and brownings will tackdrive out of the box nowadays.

my 2 cents.

J

I agree 100%.  There are too many good, out of the box rifles that shoot well enough, that you do not have to waste money on a custom rifle and instead, put the extra cash into good optics.  For me, I love the Vanguards and now Tikkas, but will go the extra dollar if I have the cash for the Mark V Wbys. in Wby. and non-Wby. calibers all day long.  They can be found new in non-Wby. calibers at good discounts and used at low prices comparitively.  Mine all shoot extremely well, the action is like butter and the trigger is the best I have ever seen.  I am a sucker for their wooden stocks, but unfortunately cannot afford many of them, so I have alot of synthetics.  My 240 Wby. shot like a dream this weekend, while reviewing the Tikka with 0.5 inch groups at 100 yards, taking only 3 or 4 shots to get set on paper at that distance.  Just like all my others.  My Tikka is great, my Vanguards are great, my Howas are great, my Remys are great, my Savages are great, my one Ruger 77 in a 220 swift is fantastic as well as my others do a great job.  If I had to order a custom, it would be a HS Precision as they are reasonable priced and they make their own actions and have great reviews, or you guessed it, order one from the Wby. or even Remington Custom shops.  But, I do not feel the need to order a custom Wby. or Remy., as out of the box they shoot great.  I just have wanted to buy a HS Precision, there is just something "cool" about those rifles.  Maybe a 280 Remington or 338 win. mag. or 340 Wby. mag. for Elk hunting or even a 6.5mm or a plain 7mm-08.  I love em all.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 17:10

Tbone1 fine choice in .375 H&H caliber, I only have two huntung rifles a custom 7WSM and a custom .375H&H.

My opinion is that with the dangerous game rifle is that the majority of the money spent on it should be put into a

high quality action and fit. With all of the above including the nice touches you are looking at least $6000. Your small caliber hunting rifle, I say yes have all the nice touches, your custom 70 I believe it was in 300WSM is very nice Tbone1, but with the DG rifle get the best action fit and scope IMO do not worry to much about the looks.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 17:13
What do you shoot with the 375 and what magnification is your scope?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 17:21
Man, that 7 WSM is sweeeeeeeeeet.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 17:56

Hello Dolphin

The .375 is a combo big game/dangerous game set up. Whatever comes up at any time of the day or night

at any distance short or long that needs a little heavy heat going its way. The scope is a 2.5-10x56.

Thank you Roy for your complimant on my 7WSM.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 18:08
Nice rifles.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic