OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Building a custom rifle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: At what point would chose a custom made rifle over factory?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
5 [26.32%]
1 [5.26%]
7 [36.84%]
5 [26.32%]
1 [5.26%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 18:13
Thank you Dolphin. With guns my true passion lies in Military and Police weapons but I also have a huge apreciation for old world hunting and I always have Bourbon on hand.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 18:36
What action are you using on the top rifle?  Obviously the bottom one is a Mauser.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 18:37
Model 70 control-fed.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 18:38
That really says something about that big S&B with that heavy recoiling rifle. Says something about the mounts, too................very impressive rig
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 18:43
Thank you Tahqua.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 18:44
One of my future purchases, is going to be a .460 or .416 Wby. Magnum to shoot Cape Buffalo, with a low power Kahles scope, or maybe just iron sights.  Only problem is that, while tons of Wbys. are use out there, most PHs do not like muzzle brakes.  So, I will have to remove it and deal with the recoil or have the custom shop make one without the brake, since there would be really no use for it at all.  I have seen some used ones without brakes or ports at all, at "reasonable" prices.  I really love those mags.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 18:50

I would go with the .416 without a brake. I am looking into a African trip in the future,

if I get to go I am going to take my cousins Dakota .416  with open tier sights and his

.454 Casul.

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 18:50

Love the big guns, too. Forgot who the quote belonged to but they said that if you can't handle the recoil of the big stoppers there is a certain amount of game you will have to forgo. First time a friend of mine saw a .460 he said,

" What a beautifal bolt action shotgun"...................

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 18:54
Now, thats damn funny.Big smile
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 19:02
Have any of you guys had a chance to shoot a HS precision rifle?  Just curious.  I have heard great things about them and for a custom rifle with an action made by them, the prices are great.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 19:10

Its very good but I would take this baby over it in a second.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=61911943

CrMo 4140

OK hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 20:50

[/QUOTE] I agree 100%.  There are too many good, out of the box rifles that shoot well enough, that you do not have to waste money on a custom rifle...[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that someone spending money on a custom rifle is a waste of money.  To you, it may be.  To the custom rifle owner, it's an investment and something very personal and important.  I believe it depends on how much importance you will place on a rifle made especially for you.

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 23:43

I have factory and custom guns.  I can generally build a custom gun for about the same money as a factory rifle.  Then again I have access to 100+ Mauser 98s that were purchased fro $29 each.  And that doesn't count the pile of 03s that lost their collectors value.  If you are handy, and have a cheap source of base guns.  Build yourself a custom.  If you don't have the skills or time.  Buy a CZ 550 or a Kimber.  Would I ever buy a a multi-thousand $$$ rifle.  No!!!!!

ranburr

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 06:19
I agree with you OK hunter and ranburr.  Having a custom built rifle made just for you is something special, but I was referring primarily to those people that seem to have to have every rifle they own custom or semi-custom built.  I own only 3 custom built rifles, 1 purchased and 2 that I put together from Parker Hale actions.  Actually, I have not finished the stock on the second, which is a 243 win. with a AA claro walnut stock from Richards Custom Fit stocks.  But in general, what I was agreeing with is that too many people buy a perfectly good rifle brand new and try to make it shoot only marginally better than it does out of the box for too much money.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 07:14
I see this with triggers on hunting rifles all the time. The most these people seem to pick up after the swap is marginal. In some cases I've seen, they remove the action, reinstall and have worse accuracy. Most of these guns do not have bedding blocks let alone pillar bedding. Swap triggers, wrench the action back down and then wonder about the change in accuracy for the worse. Big game guns are not bench rest guns. Enough of this vent, sorry.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 07:54

While we are talking custom...............i am having a remington police model 700 .223 revamped -

do i need an aftermarket trigger? (it's in pieces right now, and i am putting back together)

or is the factory going to perform well? - i like fairly light and crisp on the trigger pull (2-3 lbs)

J

OK hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 10:33
Geesh, that's sort of like asking how long is a rope?  If the trigger suits you, then use it.  If the pull is too heavy or it has too much creep or if you don't like it fofr any reason, change it out.  I think riflemen will tell you the single best thing you can do to improve accuracy in a rifle is to have a great trigger in it.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 12:10
Originally posted by jonbravado jonbravado wrote:

While we are talking custom...............i am having a remington police model 700 .223 revamped -

do i need an aftermarket trigger? (it's in pieces right now, and i am putting back together)

or is the factory going to perform well? - i like fairly light and crisp on the trigger pull (2-3 lbs)

J

Hello Jon

The trigger on the PSS is fine, it can be lightened slightly to give you a clean crisp ideal 2.5lb trigger pull on this type of rifle.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic