OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

8X42 Porros

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8X42 Porros
    Posted: December/05/2006 at 17:12
I'm looking ofr a pair of top quality 8X42 Porros, or someithing in that range.  7X would be OK, no objectives smaller than 40 and no larger than 50.  My Nikon 8X32 Premier SE's are incredible, but there is about 5 minutes in the morning and evening where I want more lght.  After using the Nikons, I won't be satisfied with anything but exceptional image quality.  Any suggestions?  I'll get the Nikon LX L's if I have to, but I prefer porros.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 17:39
www.vixenamerica.com (Vixen North America)

Vixen Foresta 8x42mm/exit pupil 5.3mm/eye relief 15mm/FOV 8.8 degrees/FOV 462'/ 27 ozs. (incredible FOV from a porro prism)

I believe that these are made in Japan. Looks similar to the:

Leupold Cascades 8x42mm Internal Focus Porro Prism
exit pupil 5.25mm/eye relief 18mm/FOV 6.4 degrees/FOV 336'/ 24.9 ozs.

Leupold Cascades roof prisms are made in Japan/hopefully the porro prisms are also.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 17:59

Have you looked at the current Minox offerings?

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/62150/minox_bd_8x44_bp_b inocular.htm

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 19:01
There almost no 8x50 porros, may be a few marine 7x50 porros.

For 8x40, you will get a litlle more light, but I wonder how much.

Not sure porros are the ideal thing for low light, maybe some roof prisms will work better. Lots of 8x50 models there. Also the expensive ones.

Here is some discussion of 7x50 (Is it OK to link another forum here?)
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=62261
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 21:51
Tero,

To answer your question about "how much more" light: the difference between the Vixen Foresta 32mm vs. the 42mm is an advertised 72% more light-gathering power, for best viewing in twilight and at night.
Of course that takes into consideration the type of optics, optical coatings, & prisms, etc.

50mm gathers alot of light, at 7x, but most individuals will not normally want to carry around the extra weight.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 22:03
The Minox is one I've thought about, but I'm afraid the quality won't be up to the Nikon Premier SE's.  I don't guess anybody has had them side-by-side?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2006 at 22:13
Since you are already "at the top" with the Nikon Premier SE's, why don't you look into the Swarovski Traditionals, in the Habicht 7x42 model.

Sounds to me like you are not going to be satisfied with "lesser" products.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 06:43

Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

The Minox is one I've thought about, but I'm afraid the quality won't be up to the Nikon Premier SE's.  I don't guess anybody has had them side-by-side?

I have not however, I think you have nailed the key problem. There really isn't an 8x40 porro prism glass out there that really compares with the Nikon Premier SEs in terms of overall image quality. The closest that I am aware of is the Swift Audubon 804ED. It is an 8.5x44 with ED glass and a 430 foot field of view. I have not used these personally but there are many folks who think exceptionally highly of them. That would probably be your best bet.

On the other hand, you mentioned an interest in the 8x42 Nikon Premiers. Though not the LXL version I just did put mine up on fleabay.

Frank
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 14:42
Today I came across a great deal on a new pair of Minox HG 8.5X52.  It was such a good deal I couldn't pass them up.  That should take care of my low light needs.  I'll post a report after I've used them awhile.  Thanks for all your comments.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 14:48
After you wear that thing for eight hours hiking uphill do let us  know about your neck and lower back needs. Just kidding.
jtucker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 15:40
I wanted to try the Minox porros.  I could not find them in stock, including SWFA.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 15:50
Contact Gene Varva, Sports Optics Sales Coordinator for Minox USA, 603-469-3080 (Meriden, N.H.).

He can direct you to someone who carrys Minox binoculars.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2006 at 15:59
The Minox HG 8.5X52's weigh 27oz, a whole pound less than a pair of Zeiss FL 8X56.  But, I won't be carrying these very far anyway.  They'll be used from stands.  I like to be stationary early and late.  When I'm moving around I use my Leupold 6X32 Katmai.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic