OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Guts or glass? You decide...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guts or glass? You decide...
    Posted: January/13/2007 at 19:11

Ok guys, I realize I am relatively new to this forum, but I want to see what the experts think.  I was reading at http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/printthread.php?t=7 146, and I came across a very good point.  It has to do with what you really want out of a rifle scope.  One of the points brought up was that if the "glass" is of relatively high quality, then is there a possibility (especially in the $200-$400 range) that the quality of the internal components could be compromised?

I guess one specific circumstance that comes to mind is Leupold.  I have never heard anyone have very many bad things to say about the company, and I am STILL debating between the VX-II 4-12x40 and the Monarch UCC 4-12x40.  The biggest difference is the availability of a fine reticle in the VX-II 4-12 and not in the 4-12 offered by the Monarch.  And let's all face it, the VX-II is a beautiful scope, regardless of its performance.  I have gathered it is one of the best values in the Leupold family.

Wisdom would be appreciated!  Haha I hope this doesn't get too ugly...

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2007 at 19:30
Stay away from Leupold mainly because they are overpriced.  The fact that in that mag. range, Nikon does not have a fine cross hair reticle, does not detract from the fact I would buy a Nikon with the Nikoplex reticle, especialy with the sale on the Monarch scopes.  The Monarchs out perform the VX-IIs, hands down.  The Monarchs compete with the VX-IIIs.
guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2007 at 19:33

Do you mean they out-perform them in terms of light-collection, or what?  Sorry, I just have a very difficult time accepting that Leupold builds an overpriced scope.  Sure, they might not have 95% light collection, but they are substantially close to it, and they are built to take one heck of a beating.  I also find that they get consistently good reviews across the board (at least for the VX-II's), and especially for the 4-12x40AO w/ fine duplex reticle.  It seems like a perfect varminting scope...

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2007 at 20:49

You'll read a lot here that Leupold is overpriced.  I'm one of the few that disagrees, but I'm one of the few that looks for more in a scope than a pretty picture.  Get a Leupold if that's what you want: you won't be disappointed.  Get a VX III if you can, but if not the VX II is fine; it's the old Vari X III.

guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2007 at 21:51
Thank you!  I was struggling with this.  I would rather have a rugged scope than exceptional light transmission, especially in regard to maintaining POI, FOV, etc.  I think Leupold takes this all into consideration rather than using light transmission as a selling point.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2007 at 22:02
we must have two things in common, guns and guitars.
guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2007 at 22:03
No kidding?  That's kickarse dude.  What do you play?
guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2007 at 22:23

I think this article explains the quality of Leupold...http://www.chuckhawks.com/leupold_tour.htm

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2007 at 23:18
Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

You'll read a lot here that Leupold is overpriced.  I'm one of the few that disagrees, but I'm one of the few that looks for more in a scope than a pretty picture.  Get a Leupold if that's what you want: you won't be disappointed.  Get a VX III if you can, but if not the VX II is fine; it's the old Vari X III.

if the vxII is the old varixIII then i got a misprint on my old varixII, when they stopped making the varix series imo it fell apart at leupold, i bought a 3x9 varixII silver for 200 and its twice the scope the vx is and half the price

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 01:47

I don't think it ever fell apart at Leupold.  I think they have incredible quality control, an amazing warranty, and the best value on the planet.  They may not have 95% light transmission, but I would much rather have a scope that will last a lifetime and have pretty close to it.  You need to check out this link and see for yourself http://www.chuckhawks.com/leupold_tour.htm.  Sorry guys, but I'm going with a Leupold!  No matter what happens, they will fix it, and it is VERY doubtful they'll have to anyway.

From what I understand, Nikons warranty is a joke, and they are very reluctant to back it up.  I don't feel comfortable with that...

www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 02:40

Guitarman

I have owned 6 different Leupolds and I will never own one again unless the rises their quality considerably.

They are dark, note very bright, not very brilliant and have poor FOV and a non constant eyerelief.

So regardless of their price I think their scopes are heavaly inferior to others.

If you are buying scope on a budget , try to find a second hand quality scopes in stead.

Regards Technika

guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 02:42
What would you suggest www.technika.nu?
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 02:44

What gun, caliber and use?

Regards Technika

guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 02:46
Remington SPS 700, 22-250, varminting/occasional deer/MUCH target shooting.  Nice to have light-collecting abilities, but I won't be too cranky about 5 minutes, if it means a more durable scope.  $400 approximate budget.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 02:59

Sorry

But my knowledge and interests is in european scopes.

I have looked through and used a lot of non european scopes always decided to go for european as i not have been enogh satisfied with the other parts of the world.

And as it's nice to have up to at least 10-12X on a warmint gun I don't know any high magnification scopes for that price.

I personally would probably stretch the budget up to 600 USD or more and try to find a Zeiss 3-12x56 secondhanded.

That way you would have first class optics, great low light possibilitys and acess to Zeiss great Bullet drop compensator.

Regards Technika

guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 03:04
I would LOVE to have a Zeiss, they are flawless, but 56mm is far too large for my tastes, you know?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 07:54
Originally posted by guitarman guitarman wrote:

And let's all face it, the VX-II is a beautiful scope, regardless of its performance.  I have gathered it is one of the best values in the Leupold family.

Wisdom would be appreciated!  Haha I hope this doesn't get too ugly...

Without being "ugly", I'd like to say this about the VXII's.

The VXII is not a real good buy, IMHO.

Here's an example.

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/LEU61285/leupold_4-12x40 _vx-ii_riflescope.htm

Here you have a VXII, with a LR reticle and AO.

Price..$429.00

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/6546/nikon_4-12x40_monar ch_ucc_riflescope.htm

This is a Nikon Monarch, with AO and the new BDC reticle.

Price...$286.00

That's a difference of $143.00

Problem is, the Monarch is a better scope OPTICALLY speaking.

I have looked through both, as have many others, and have concluded the Monarch's flat-out better in that regard.

The eye relief on the Loopie "seems" better on paper.

But, there's almost a 1" difference between the low setting and the highest.

Head positioning becomes a little hinky and uncomfortable, IMO.

(I prefer "fixed" eye relief as opposed to variable. Read..Zeiss Conquest)

Yes, I'm aware that both scopes have varying eye relief, but the Monarch has less variance.

Approximately 1/2".

Less travel to get a good sight picture with the Monarch.   

The biggest gripe in my AO with Leupolds is the varying eye relief causing cheekweld/head postioning issues.

That's what I'm hearing. 

So I'd take the Monarch over the VXII every time.

Leupold's legendary customer service isn't worth $143.00 and less performance to me.

Standing by for incoming from myates and the Leupoldites.........    

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 07:57

BTW.

The Monarch's just as tough as the VXII as well.

Out.

guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 10:38

I appreciate your insight, cheaptrick.  But what about Nikon's overseas production?  I realize that many of their scopes are great, but there is something to be said for Leupold's perfectionist manufacturing methods.  Many of their workers are outdoorsman themselves, and they take a great deal of pride in their work.  Also, what is to be said of Nikon's horrid warranty service?  I have heard some very disturbing stories, especially the one involving one individual who got a bill of $170 for warranty work (for a Monarch).  Leupold will fix your scope if no matter what happens to it.  You could decide to run over it with your car and they would replace it at no cost.  I think that the quality of their warranty reflects on the long run quality of Leupold scopes.  Sure, the glass might not be quite as good as Nikon's, but are the innards of a Nikon as good as a Leupold's?  I'm not sure.  Is the warranty of a Nikon as good as a Leupold's?  Absolutely not.  Are Nikon's assembled in the U.S.A.?  Nope.  I plan on keeping this scope for decades, I want it to last forever. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2007 at 10:59
Originally posted by guitarman guitarman wrote:

Are Nikon's assembled in the U.S.A.?  Nope. 

Is the Leupold a TOTALLY, 100% US made product?  Nope.

I could care less where my scopes manufactured at, so long as the standard is there, and Nikon's is.

Nobody has convinced me that they could tell the difference between a Japanese Nikon and one made in The PI.

TO ME..it's a moot point as to WHERE they are put together.

Maybe not to you and others and that's cool too.

This whole "I only buy USA built gear" is ridiculous.

The very computer sitting before you is loaded with parts from around the world, I would assume also.

Bottom line is this....If you want the VXII, get the VXII. Hell, go the full Monty and get the VXIII. 

You've obviously convinced your self that it's the better of the two scopes.

Good shooting.

Out.

Edited by cheaptrick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic