OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

NIKON Monarch 2007

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BusGunner007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NIKON Monarch 2007
    Posted: January/21/2007 at 02:13

Looks like I waited just long enough to get my Remington 700 / .375 ULTRA MAG  up and running.

( with all the previous delays, I had open heart surgery last year, too!  the old sternum has to be healed first )

NIKON is introducing a new bunch of Monarch scopes for 2007.

I'm looking at the 2.5-10x42 with 'constant' 4" eye-relief for that rifle.  Excellent.

Too bad the 4-12x40 AO is discontinued.  It's one of the nicest looking scopes ever made.

Maybe I'll get one of those, too!

"See; be; be the ball, Danny..."
jsethmor View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsethmor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 08:05
Have you found new information about the new scope line?  If so, where did you find it.  I have been unable to locate anything new yet.
rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 13:37
Now you can get a detached retina to go along with your heart issues.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 13:44

Originally posted by rootmanslim rootmanslim wrote:

Now you can get a detached retina to go along with your heart issues.

come on is that really nice?

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 14:02
generally speaking when you are old enough to need heart surgery you are at a much higher risk the a 20 year old for impact (i..e recoil) eye damage. the ultra mags kick like an sob in the typical 700 type rifle. If you restock, mercury dampen and muzzlebrake (wear plugs) then big bores can be managable. (See my 400 H&H 700 redo below) But the ultra mags kick harder than H&Hs so no thanks. I owned a 700 300 UM and ran 7 factory rounds thru it before selling it. My headache lasted almost as long as ownership! 2.5-10 on a 375? I like the eye relief part but a 1-5 makes more sense to me.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 14:47

generally speaking when you are old enough to need heart surgery you are at a much higher risk the a 20 year old for impact (i..e recoil) eye damage. the ultra mags kick like an sob in the typical 700 type rifle. If you restock, mercury dampen and muzzlebrake (wear plugs) then big bores can be managable. (See my 400 H&H 700 redo below) But the ultra mags kick harder than H&Hs so no thanks. I owned a 700 300 UM and ran 7 factory rounds thru it before selling it. My headache lasted almost as long as ownership! 2.5-10 on a 375? I like the eye relief part but a 1-5 makes more sense to me.

I thought you were just being sarcastic, albeit funny. I hope you saw it that way, BusGunner.

Rootmanslim, then you have to go and be serious.............I agree. 2.5-10 on .375 is way big.

Edited by tahqua
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 14:49
1.5x5 maybe 2x7
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 15:54
I must admit to having an M8 6X DotCH on my Sauer 90 375 H&H but that's my Mulie rifle when I hunt them in Griz country (getting to be everywhere I hunt!).(Also worked good on Antelope in 05') When it hunts Elk it gets a 2.5x Leupold Alaskan.
BusGunner007 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BusGunner007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 22:00

I was originally thinking of a Leupold 6x42 for this rig.  Somehow I can't imagine a two-piece scope on it.

1.5x or 2x on the low end?  I'll take a little more than that.  Not much, but a little bit is good.

I wanted to have more magnification than 5x or 6x on the top end, too. 

My NIKON Laser800 is 8x and the Monarch binocs are 10x, so having a little bit more on the top end wouldn't hurt.  I was mostly concerned with more than 3.5" of eye-relief.

Now, NIKON has a one-piece tube; 4" of room for my eyebrows; and goes as low as 2.5x and up to 10x...what's not to like about that?

The scope mount is a Picatinny Tactical unit ( Mounting Solutions Plus 'B' ) that I'm going to have drilled out for 8-40 screws, and the rings on it are at present the old Weaver Grand Slam QD units.

Strong mounting system, there.

I never planned to shoot more than the 270-gr. weight bullets, rather planning for the 260 on down to a 210 for less recoil and more speed.  A Barnes X in 210-gr. would be a screamer !!!

The animals I'd hunt won't need the bigger, badder bullets.  There's even a 350-gr. Rhino bullet, for cryin' out loud!

As for the heart 'issues', I'm ALIVE, and better off than I've ever been, health-wise.

Coulda been dead by now, then it wouldn't matter! 

So, I'm happy to be here discussing scopes and looking at nice rifles!

"See; be; be the ball, Danny..."
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 22:11
 guns need nuclear scopes, whatever glass you get.
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2007 at 22:58
geez don't mention the Barnes X, you'll get maximum flaming. FYI I push that old 210 @ 3000fps in a 375 H&H. It kills Antelope and Deer right now. The thought behind low power was based on the assumption that you might shoot things that bite close up. If not a 3 to whatever or 4 to whatever will be fine if it has enough eye relief.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2007 at 12:18
Root........... I'm still laughing regarding your Barnes X line  
take em!
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 00:24
Stop Laughing and open your wallet.... never learn thru fear and never fear to learn.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 16:55
Do not worry BusGunner007, root tells everybody either what to do with their rifle or why its the wrong one, whether they ask on not.  I believe yours was a scope question.  I have the same rifle, ahem, go with the 2-7 Monarch, like pyro6999 said.  The other scope, 1.5x5 has a significantly limited FOV at maximum magnification.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 17:05

Stop Laughing and open your wallet.... never learn thru fear and never fear to learn.

Open your wallet, eh. I should have listened to rootman and bought some TSX to try. Instead I caught that virus from CT and ordered another Monarch. I'm dead meat because I never intercept the UPS guy first.

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2007 at 23:55
tahqua.... you can do both. I'm waiting for my 6.5-20 monarch and just ordered more 224 TSXs for my 22-06.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic