OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nosler bullets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nosler bullets
    Posted: January/31/2007 at 09:25
Anybody used the nosler accubonds and how did they work for you??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 13:29
I use them for deer and I absolutely love 'em.  I've found them to be as accurate as ballistic tips, but hold together far better on big game due to the thicker jacket and bonded core.  I've been able to get them to shoot extremely well in several of my hunting rifles so far.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 13:32
so if i used them in any of my three white tail set ups i would be happy with the end results?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 13:37
Provided your rifle likes them, I predict most definitely!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 13:44
i havent ever had good luck with nosler bullets in any caliber, but i will give these a real honest try.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 13:51

I tried the 180gr. Accubond's with a .300 Win mag and they were accurate out of my rifle.

I never shot any game with them though, so I can't comment on that aspect.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 13:53

open the door on sunday and poke a illinois bear

go colts!!

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 13:55
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

open the door on sunday and poke a illinois bear

go colts!!

I hope your wrong, my friend.....

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 13:57
peyton gets a ring now he retires earlier!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 16:59
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I tried the 180gr. Accubond's with a .300 Win mag and they were accurate out of my rifle.

I never shot any game with them though, so I can't comment on that aspect.

So far, I've shot about 5 deer and 10 feral hogs with Accubonds in various rifles, and I've had the same result each time:  dead animal with small entry hole & exit hole about 3X the size of the entry.  I've shot them out of my 7WSM, 7mm-08, .25-06, and .300 Win mag, and all have shot as well or better with the Accubond than with any other bullet I've tried.  I couldn't ask for more than that!

Ted

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 18:22
Nosler's are my preffered hunting bullets, both the NP and Accu. I could not be happier with the performance out of my rifles so far.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 20:12
what kind of speed level are you guys seeing the best accuracy at?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
CWPINST View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 20:14
I just tried (target only) the Accubond for the first time a few weeks ago.  Accuracy was great in my 30-06, but to be truthful, I have had excellent success with Ballistic Tips.  I have kept records over the last 15 years.  To date I have taken 64 deer with the NBT, in various calibers but mostly 7mm in the 120 and 140gr, and .257 in 100gr.  I had exit wounds on all but 8 of those deer.  That is a pretty darn good success rate with a bullet that some consider too fragile.  For interesting reading on bullet effectiveness, read this link.  It was written by our chief deer biologist who conducted a several year study.  http://www.scilowcountry.org/cedar_knoll_deer_study.htm
If it ain't accurate at long distance, the fact that it is flat shooting is irrelevant.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 20:20
i have used the ballistic tips and they make way bigger of a hole on the exit side than i like to see, course i went to nosler's web page and it said they dont recommend using the ballistic tip for hunting on calibers.308 and larger, which i used my .300 winm on mule deer and it wasnt pretty, i know they are very accurate though, i had some ballistic silvertips for my 25 wssm and my 300wsm and for some reason the factory round wouldnt group well enough for my liking so they just got wasted on paper, never shot an animal with either.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
wricksmith View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wricksmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 20:55
I have tried 180gr Accubonds out of my 300WSM and have had better results on game with the Partition.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 20:57
really tell me about them, if you would
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 08:56

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i have used the ballistic tips and they make way bigger of a hole on the exit side than i like to see, course i went to nosler's web page and it said they dont recommend using the ballistic tip for hunting on calibers.308 and larger, which i used my .300 winm on mule deer and it wasnt pretty, i know they are very accurate though, i had some ballistic silvertips for my 25 wssm and my 300wsm and for some reason the factory round wouldnt group well enough for my liking so they just got wasted on paper, never shot an animal with either.

I've had good success with Ballistic Tips on quite a few deer as well.  Dead is dead and the end result is what counts.  My only issue with the BTs is they tended to destroy more meat than I wanted.  The Accubond virtually duplicates if not improves on the BTs accuracy while not expanding as violently and stays together better.  Admittedly, this probably isn't all that critical on a small whitetail, but I think they work a little better on the feral hogs I frequently hunt.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 10:03
i dont like it when a bullet hits ribs and blows a hole big enough to throw a football through it, i do agree with you that dead is dead, but i am out there for the food and if i can use a bullet to save some meat, three or four shoulders a year is a lot of wasted meat. if the accubond does stay together like you say then i think i will try them out.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 12:32
i understand that the tsx performs very well what i am not impressed with is the price, really $30 for 50 bullets, no way, i dont care if they have 100% guarantee on the box, i can buy 2 boxes of factory ammo for that and i dont have to spend anytime at the bench, if they made there price more competitive i would be all over that, also im not so sure that they are the answer for white tail, the way these are built they look like they would go through a deer without any expansion, i want some expansion i dont want ballistic tip expansion but i dont want a .308 hole going in and a .308 hole going out either. and im not saying that the tsx is a bad bullet in any way shape or form, but im not sure they are right for my purposes, i might think about them for black bear but i'm not sold on them for white tail.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 12:59
Nice buck, Slim!
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic