OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Meopta Meostar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunnar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meopta Meostar
    Posted: January/31/2007 at 14:41
Does anybody have any experience with the Meopta Meostar 3-12x56 RD?
How is this compared to other scopes in the same pricesegment? Pro/con.

Thanks

Gunnar
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 14:50

i have a 7x56 meostar on one of my deer rifles and am absolutely thrilled w/ it.

a local gunshop around here did a late night lowlight test w/ the

highend swaro, zeiss, and the very scope you mentioned.

it was brighter and crisper than the swaro.  barely beat the zeiss daivari.

i have been very happy w/ the brightness, crispness, and repeatability of mine.

IMO, in it's pricerange 6-700 bucks, there is nothing like it.  It compares w/ the bigboys. for half the price.

the new kahles should be amazing for the money too -

good luck.

J

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2007 at 15:37

Meopta Meostar scopes are very good in optical quality,the scope you have metioned I would rank like this with comparible scopes and comparable features,executon of desighn and build is also factored in.

1- Zeiss VM/V 3-12x56 FFP, 1+ S&B 2.5-10x56 FFP

2- Swarovski PV 2.5-10x56 FFP, 2+ Kahles C 3-12x56 FFP

3- Meopta Meostar 3-12x56 RFP, IOR 2.5-10x56 RFP, 3+ Meopta Meostar FFP 3-12x56

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8359-1134-meopta-3-12x56-meostar-r1-3 0mm-rifle-scope.aspx

Edited by SVD666
SwattedOut View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwattedOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 08:49

Since you asked....I had decided not to mention this due to possible lack of interest. I have a Meopta meostar 7x56

(so I can't speak for the variable). It was nearly a full moon last night so I took it out to see the low light capability. When I put the scope to my eye, there was no conscious thought or time to compare it mentally to other scopes. All I said was, Damn....unbelievable. I was looking at a patch of moonlight on the ground and bushes about fifty yards away.I then walked down a long dirt road with forest around me to duplicate a hunting scenario. I was confident that I could have made an accurate shot at least a hundred yards out. Either on the road or in the treeline. I will compare it to the Swaro American model later. I just wasn't up to the possibility that the Meostar would show up the swaro that I worked boatloads of overtime for .Other folks who regularly deal with higher end scopes may not be as impressed as I was. But for me, I'll say again.....damn

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 12:58
The day that I saw the 7x56 Meostar and the price,I said wow,for someone looking for a fixed power on a budget,this scope should be at te top of thier list. As much as I like IOR and the value fixed IOR represent,I prefer this scope..
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 14:41

like i said, it suprised the hell out of me. on my first hunt, i was floored.

i could see the leaves on the peaplants from 50 yards in almost total dark.

it's remarkable.  i can't wait to get another one, variable this time, for another rifle.

get em while their price is still low. they are bound to rise.

J

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 14:48
I do not think the price will rise with the current meopta scopes any time soon, especialy with the Kahles KX and Zeiss classic and a few other scopes comming out soon. Jon what are your latest thoughts on your variable scope purchase?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 14:53

which one SVD?

J

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 14:58
You mentioned you were going to get a Meopta variable for another one of your rifles?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 15:03

I am almost there, after my wedding, i can sneak another $700 or so out for toys.

i have compared a friends 3-12x56 meostar with my zeiss and a swaro or two, and it is absolutely wonderful -

i would love to have it set on 3 or 4 and sit back in the woods w/ my 7mm08. 

Even with my fixed one at 7 power, it's a lot of fun.  but need something for the long, open field shots.

so i am set on the 3x12x50, or 56 > with a #4 reticle.  That should be the ultimate, multi-purpose, lowlight scope.

J

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 15:05

Yes that will be a very nice scope in that price range. Best of luck to you Jon.

Trinidad

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic