OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

aciton work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: aciton work
    Posted: January/31/2007 at 20:14
i am thinking of sending a few of my bolt action rifles in to be accurized, who is the best outfit for the job, i have looked at several on the web hill country customs looks good any body had any luck with this outfit or any other?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 06:02
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 09:18

Do you have a goal for the gun? What purpose? What are the guns? Sometimes accurizing means a new barrel, are you ready for that?

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 09:59

i guess all i really want done is the actions trued up and maybe re thread and re crown the barrels i read that on average 70% of factory rifles are not crowned properly. i dont need them to be all souped up so i could shoot at match's or anything, just make things right. model 70 winchester and a model 7 remington but i dont know if anyone will work on the model 7

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 10:04

I could recommend a couple, if you tell me ...

1.  what action or actions you want to accurize?;

2.  what "accurize" means to you (in other words, how extensive do you want the work to be -- just trigger work, complete blueprinting, barrel install, bedding job, recrowning, etc.);

3.  what level of accuracy are you realistically expecting to achieve?;

4.  as Dale mentions, what is the intended purpose of the rifle?;

5.  how much money are you willing to spend?

If you can answer those questions, I can probably steer you in the right direction.

If you just want to bed the action and adjust the trigger that's one thing, and won't be too expensive.  Recutting the locking lugs, bushing the bolt body, recutting the barrel tenon threads, etc, is another thing entirely, and will be significantly more expensive.  Keep in mind, if you are wanting to completely blueprint your action and rebarrel, it is my opinion that you are far better off just buying a custom action, because the cost of completely blueprinting an action will in many cases be as much or almost as much as a custom action that you won't have to do anything to.  Custom actions are built with much tighter clearances between mating parts, they are completely machined and trued from the beginning, and they will have twice the resale value if you ever decide to sell later.  Just a smarter route to go in my opinion.  If you are interested in that route, I can also steer you toward some very good, and not overly expensive custom actions.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 11:17
Not just the crown, but it depends on what day the chamber reamer got sharpened, opps somebody forgot that the throat was elliptical. Just a barrel set back, chamber with a good reamer and a recrown will be satisfactory in most cases.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 12:23
i guess i am looking to blue print and recrown and bedding job. but like i said i dont know if anyone will even work on the model 7 action, i have looked at a lot of company's web sites and all of them work on the 700 action and most of them also do the model 70 but i can recall seeing anyone who listed the model 7 action. i dont want to buy a custom action i just want to see what kind of changes i end up with after these procedures are done, if i dont think i gained much then i will opt for a new barrel and a see what happens.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 12:45

Yes, but for what you'll end up spending on completely blueprinting your M7 action, you can buy a Stiller Predator action, which is a very well-made drop-in Rem700 replacement action that costs around $750.  It will cost you that much or more to do a complete blueprint on your existing action.  It drops right into a stock inletted for a Rem700 with no modification, yet it is made to much tighter tolerances.  With a trued-up Remington, you won't be able to recoup your costs, and if you ever try to sell it, well... you still have a factory action.  A new barrel chambered, threaded and installed, whether you use a custom action or your existing action, will cost in the neighborhood of $700 - $800.  Regardless of what you do, it's a good idea to include either a trigger job or replace with an aftermarket trigger as well.  Add between $50 and $200 for that.

So, you see, if you do anything beyond just bedding, trigger adjustment, and maybe rebarreling, IMO, you're far better off just building a rifle on a custom action and barrel from the start.  You'll spend maybe a little more money, but not necessarily much more, but you'll have a far superior rifle that will maintain its value better.

The Predator action is made by Stiller Precision in Wylie, TX, about 20 miles from my house.  Again, they're extremely well-made, and custom gunmakers like Serengeti Rifles use the action for some of their custom rifles.

http://www.viperactions.com/actions/predator_detail.htm

http://www.viperactions.com/actions/use_all.htm

http://www.viperactions.com/

Anyone who will work on a 700 should be able to work on the 7 as well.  They are both tubular actions, with the only meaningful difference being that the M7 has a narrower bridge at the rear and is shorter overall.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 12:50
thats more than i paid for the rifle and the scope, maybe i will just stick with what i got and see how close i can get it with my handloads.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 12:55

Just bed the action, tune the trigger, and work with handloads, and you may find you get all the accuracy you wanted by doing those steps alone.

In most cases, I don't really recommend truing up a factory action... kinda like making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  Not to say there's anything wrong with factory actions; they're fine for hunting.  They are what they are -- a mass-produced, suitable foundation for the hunting role they were intended to fulfill.  They just aren't the best solution for building a true "accuracy" rifle, because you end up putting a lot of work and expense into something that in the end won't be as good as starting with a better action for the job to begin with.

Ted

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 13:03
well im glad your telling me this so i wont spend money on stuff that probably wont impress me afterwards any ways. i dont shot competitvely so i dont need a $3000 rifle for shooting a stupid deer or a piece of paper, i guess i am just curious about how much stuff i can do with the rifle before i would want to take that step up and pay 1500 for a custom setup.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 13:58
Almost all of the "accurizing" packages that are offered by outfits like Hill Country Rifles amount to a complete bedding job, lap bolt lugs, re-cut of the barrel crown, trigger adjustment and lapping the scope rings (if you supply them). The lapping of bot lugs will be minimal as to not alter head-space, which is dangerous. Regarding the M7, anything that can be done to a M700 can be done to the M7 as well.

Edited by Roy Finn
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 14:00
so i guess the general consensus of the forum would be to buy a custom action and rebarrel and custom bed etc.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 17:21
whose building the best composite stocks right now??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 17:52

Depends on who you ask.

For hunting, a very good one I recommend is the McMillan Hunter's Edge.  Very light, yet strong, and I love the lines on this stock.  In fact, I would pretty much recommend McMillan for any style synthetic stock, and they have one for any shooting application you can think of, not to mention a variety of gel coat colors.  Another VERY nice hunting style synthetic stock is the Rimrock.  It is also available in a variety of finishes and camo patterns that are actually sealed behind the clear gel coat.  They also have a very nice, classic style shape to them.  Brown Precision makes some good, lightweight, very durable synthetic stocks as well.  If you want a heavier synthetic stock for general varmint or target work, the H.S. Precision Pro series stocks are very good as well, and almost indestructible.  They have an aluminum bedding block that prevents crushing of the stock material and provides a solid foundation for the action.  Despite H.S. Precision's claims, however, I would still recommend bedding the action when using this stock despite the aluminum bedding block.  That recommendation pretty much applies to any stock for that matter, wood or synthetic.

There are several others as well, some good, some not so good, but the ones above are what I'd put on my rifles.  You really couldn't go wrong with any of the above.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 18:54

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

whose building the best composite stocks right now??

McMillan

Edited by Roy Finn
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2007 at 19:42
i will look at them thanks
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2007 at 06:53

haven't read the entire thread, don't need to.

You want accuracy on a budget.

Builders accuracy packages are designed to produce revenue for them and give you a rifle improved over what you sent them, but at a price.

If you consider $510.00 a decent price then send it to PacNor.  They are going to true the action face, lap the bolt lugs, fit and chamber a new SuperMatch barrel of your choice.

What you'll find out is that the single biggest accuracy improvement is a chamber cut concentric to the bore.  Action "Blueprinting" in a tactical or field use rifle does not produce results consistant with investment.  As an example, look at competative AR15's.  Concentric chamber and no way to "True" the action as it were.  My best shooting, most consistantly accurate rifle was sent off with explicit instructions to;

1.  Cut a max dimension chamber concentric to the bore

2.  Make sure the neck was as large as possible for the caliber

3.  Make sure the freebore was such that there was no way to seat an appropriate weight bullet into the      lands

4.  Make certain to use the factory recoil lug.

In short, I had almost no work done to this rifle and it shoots better than I can operate it.

Don't believe all the hype.

Why pay the same $500.00 to have your factory tube set back?  Have a proper chamber cut in a new barrel of known quality for a decent price.

You can learn bedding by yourself and surely you can read directions to adjust a trigger

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2007 at 08:05
thanks mike i will look into this i was hoping you would put your .02 in
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2007 at 10:23
thats pac nor setup looks like a reasonable setup and  i think even i as tight as i can be like the price.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic