OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Varmint Scope SS16x or Nikon Monarch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdufren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Varmint Scope SS16x or Nikon Monarch
    Posted: February/07/2007 at 11:18

I'm setting up a new Savage 12VLP 22-250 for prairie dog hunting (300-500 yard gun) and I am trying to decide between the Super Sniper 16x or a Nikon Monarch.  I already have a couple Super Sniper 10x scopes and have gotten acustomed to dialing in the "dope".  I am significantly more accurate than my buddies who use "Kentucky windage".  The SS's return to zero and repeatability never cease to amaze me.  My question is, can I expect the same level of consistency from the Nikon Monarch as the Super Sniper when it comes to continuously cranking on the adjustment knobs? How does the Nikon glass compare to the SS?

Thanks

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 16:57
Which monarch?
pdufren View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdufren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 20:04

Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

Which monarch?

6.5-20x44 Monarch UCC

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/6556/nikon_6.5-20x44_mon arch_ucc_riflescope.htm 

I'm not stuck on the Monarch, just trying to keep under the $400 mark.  If their is something better out there for the money, I'm open to suggestions.

Edited by pdufren
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2007 at 10:02

I'd go for the monarch, having had one for 10 years they're great and can't beat the price. Also it will give you finer clics and cross hair, something your gun is capable of using. You can dial in the dope just as easy with the Monarch.

3trickplays07 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3trickplays07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2007 at 13:26
I ordered one of those except in the BDC, it's on backorder.  I just got off the phone with customer support and they said that the only model that they have on hand is the illuminated reticle.  He said that they have 100 (BDC or all types, I'm not sure) coming in and they should be in any day.  So here I sit, impatiently waiting......  I get my new 22-250 tomorrow and don't have a scope to put on it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic