OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

what height burris xtr for my SS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erikgenerik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what height burris xtr for my SS
    Posted: February/07/2007 at 12:58
I have a flat top AR and want to mount a SS 16x on it with burris XTR rings. Do I need to get the high or extra high rings? Anyone have pix with this setup? Sure would appreciate 'em to hold me off for the time being.
rootmanslim View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rootmanslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 15:11
Call Brownell's tech support, they can tell you
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2007 at 19:08
This is kind of a personal choice question.  Both high and extra high XTR rings will be able to keep the objective bell of a Super Sniper above the handguard/receiver with some clearance.  Extra high XTR rings will place the center line of the scope 0.25" higher than the high XTR rings.  If you are a big guy with a large head, extra high rings may be better.  If your head/cheekbone is on the small side, high rings may be better.

As a side note, I am assuming that you do not have a folding rear sight on this rifle.  I am not entirely sure, but I do not think the ocular of the Super Sniper will clear the folded rear sight.  For that you would need higher mounting.

As for calling Brownells, since our hosts here SWFA sell Burris XTR rings (and have etter prices than Brownell anyway), perhaps you can also ask them this question.

Generally, I think I recall High and X-High XTR rings marked "Speeddot Only".  Not sure why. 

Also, there are other competing makers that make excellent rings that deserve a closer look.  Lately, I've been very impressed with TPS products, but I am not sure if they make rings high enough to mount directly onto an AR flattop without an additional rail.

Another company, I've had good luck with has been Warne.  I am pretty sure they make extra-high rings specifically for ARs.

Make sure however, that you can place the scope sufficiently far forward.  AR flat top is kinda short which is why many people use extension rails or integrated mounts such as LaRue SPR (expensive) which allow positioning the scope a little further forward.

ILya
TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2007 at 11:59
We make Extra High in 7075...
We refuse to compromise our quality for pricing.
100% USA Made.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2007 at 12:23
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2007 at 13:34
Originally posted by TPS_Phil TPS_Phil wrote:

We make Extra High in 7075...

My apologies.  I did not see them on your website.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic