OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

THE VX-7 still doesnt measure up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THE VX-7 still doesnt measure up
    Posted: February/17/2007 at 08:10
I

Edited by SAKO75 - February/17/2009 at 12:24
outdoorAg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outdoorAg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2007 at 09:06
Why does the FOV decrease with the objective size?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2007 at 09:23
I believe it has to do with focal length. Longer the scope usually decreases FOV.

Edited by Roy Finn
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2007 at 09:37
Dam the bad luck. Guess I'll have to spend half the money and buy a Nikon.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
1stscope View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stscope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2007 at 12:40
The Zeiss has shorter eye relief, which is common with wider angle eyepieces. Wider angle eyepieces, unless large and heavy, also tend to have softer edges. Weight would be a lower point of comparison for me, and I'd tend to take the heavier one with no other information available, especially since Leupold seems to provide scopes for military. That being the case for me the differences are moot, as I'd prefer to see what the resolution and contrast are between them.   
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2007 at 14:01
The

Edited by SAKO75 - February/17/2009 at 12:24
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2007 at 20:30

Originally posted by SAKO75 SAKO75 wrote:

No DOubt that the VX-7's are probably great scopes but my New Diavari with the new Lotutec coating was cheaper than a NIB VX-7 2.5-10x45. I got more FOV, lighter scope, larger sight picture for a cheaper price and one more thing at least as good optics!

I think you're being kind with "at least as good" optics comment .  I'd say that the new Diavari is a bit better...

www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 01:14

The heart of any optical system is actually the ocular, so it's the ocular that makes the FOV bigger.

The objective has nothing to do with FOV as the objetive main purpose it to collect light.

FOV stands in direct relationship with eyerelief and the longer eyerelief the less FOV.

I am surprised to see that Leupold still have severe problems with moving eyerelief, Zeiss have produced fixed eyerelief variable scopes since 1922 and 85 years later Leupold can't do the same thing.

Embarrasing........

Regards Technika

1stscope View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stscope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 15:12

"I am surprised to see that Leupold still have severe problems with moving eyerelief, Zeiss have produced fixed eyerelief variable scopes since 1922 and 85 years later Leupold can't do the same thing. Embarrasing........"

"I would say that across the 2-5-10 range of my zeiss, its anywhere from 4 to 3.5". "

Enbarrasing for both apparently. 

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 15:36

Not at all, cause on my Zeiss scopes I can hold my head at the same spot over all magnifications.

On the Leupolds I had but now is sold, i couldnt.

I can't agree that Zeiss has a problem with moving eyerelief.

Regards Technika

SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2007 at 19:07
I went back tonight and set the scope down in a fixed position and adjusted the power from low to high. I barely had to move my eye. SO i'll agree with technika. The variation is almost non-existent, drastically less than the Leupolds
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 15:29

Originally posted by SAKO75 SAKO75 wrote:

I copied this from another forum. Basically the VX-7 is heavier and with less FOV than the diavari and swaro 30mm model

Leupold's VX-7, even if the glass is AS GOOD, as a diavari from zeiss still comes up short in other areas like field of view and weight

If that's the criteria for "coming up short," then doesn't it stand to reason that the Schmidt & Bender 2.5-10X50 likewise "comes up short" to the Zeiss in terms of FOV and weight?

S&B 2.5-10X50 Variable

FOV:  39.6/12

Weight:  22oz.

Length:  14.8

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 15:49
S&B

Edited by SAKO75 - February/17/2009 at 12:25
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 18:49

Sorry, meant 2.5-10X56 S&B -- typo.  However, their 1.5-6X42 Zenith still weighs 21oz. if weight is a criteria for judging whether a 30mm main tube scope in this class is inferior to another and objective dia doesn't have a direct influence on FOV.  All their variable scopes weigh within 3-4 oz of each other, and all are way heavier than either the Zeiss or Swaro scopes you mention.  My point is, depending on the intended use and the merits of a scope's other qualities, individual specs by themselves don't necessarily mean a given scope doesn't stack up well against its competitors.

Now, if several aspects of a scope are inferior compared to another -- i.e., optical quality, FOV, eye relief, weight, mechanics, build quality -- then yes, I think it's safe to conclude it falls short of its competition.

Just like most of us here, I haven't seen a VX-7, so I don't know whether this scope compares favorably to others in its price bracket or not, but I certainly don't think we can conclude based solely on a couple specs. 

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 23:01

Rifledude

In a way you are right that mostly of us not have seen it yet, but still:

I would never buy a scope with varible eyerelief, regardless of make and price.

Regards Technika

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 08:38
Given the option, I wouldn't choose variable eye relief over a decent amount of fixed eye relief either.  That is one thing I don't like about Leupolds, but have to admit, it has never been a problem for me on the ones I've used.
Ted

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 11:13

Well my opinion on the VX7 is posted on other VX7 threads but to sum it up, bottom line:pathetic waste of money.

1stscope View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stscope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2007 at 05:51

"I can assure you that this zeiss has no soft edges. I promise you on that."

Some night point your rifle and scope towards a clear sky, steady the rifle, and look carefully at the stars in the center of the field and the edge of the field. It's a simple but tough test for any low to moderate power optic, very few have edges as good as the center, and Zeiss is no exception. Good optics will have a tight images to maybe 2/3rds of the field, very good to 3/4ths of the field.

1stscope View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stscope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2007 at 05:55

"As far as the military and their scopes, zeiss makes Hensoldt which is used extensively by many sniper teams throughout Europe. Schmidt & Bender is used over there as well and by our own USMC (S&B 3-12x50) here in the USA, word is the US Army is switching to the S&B 4-16x42 PMII for their next scope. Where does that leave Leupold?"

Doing well, as the Zeiss sniper scopes seem to have some problems. S&B is a 'crummy scope' though isn't it, as like the Leupold they're heavier than a similar AOS Zeiss.

http://snipersparadise.com/sniperchat/index.php?showtopic=31 06

I have a Zeiss in my current set: Sako TRG-42 in .338 Lapua with AU Jet-Z silencer and sako bipod.

Good tube, bit pricey though. It has a reticle called Finndot( a mildot with a stadia lines for 1m high target in the bottom.)

Mine got a BDC for our armys .338 ammo, and I load my ammo to those specs .

Got some troubles around 200 rounds. One shattered lense inside the tube. The reason for the "stardust" was most likely the negative recoil while using muzzlebrake or silencer. A little bit loose lense wich get pounded so much that started to brake down. The scope was sent to Germany to repairs and was good as new when returned after 3 weeks. No problems after that...

(a reply in the thread)

The Finnish Defence Forces uses .338 Lapua Magnum caliber green stock Sako TRG-42s with Zeiss 3-12x56mm SSG-P "FinnDot" scopes as their official primary sniper rifles/sniper weapons system. The Finnish Armed Forces use the military name of .338 LM Sako TRG-42, which is Tarkka-ampujakivääri 2000 or in short Tkiv 2000 (direct translation in English is simply Sniper Rifle 2000).

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2007 at 09:16

the m995 action on those TRG's is amazing. wish i had one in every caliber.

338 lapua is a brutal kicker. but spot on for long range.

i will live vicariously through you. and stick to my 308 and 284 calibers.

J

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic