OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.17 HMR scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .17 HMR scope
    Posted: February/18/2007 at 19:15
My brother phoned last night from MT.  He's intent on adding a .17 HMR to his stable of rifles.  His computer is down so he can't access this sight or others.  Here's the shopping criteria he's assembled.  He's looking for a variable power unit with 12 - 14 on the top end.  He'd like to keep it under $200.   And of course, not junk.  This is going to be a 150 yard gopher/dog rifle, Savage Accu-trigger, SS.  I've been sorting through the various scope brands and it looks like okay glass, with that megnification, for that price is tricky to come by.  Can anyone make some suggestions.  Thanks.
CAShooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAShooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2007 at 17:40

I have scoped a Winchester 1885 Low Wall in .17HMR with the 5.5-16.5x44 Nikon Monarch, and then scoped a Browning 1885 Low Wall in .22 Hornet with the Sightron 4-16x.  Both have been fun combinations. High enough power at the top end to fine tune a group on the range, and then dial down to 4x or 5.5x for close in shots.  Even a little fuzz at close in range has been ok...since the image doesn't have to be crisp to see that I am on target. 

So, that is the combo that I chose, and am very happy with that range of scope power on both those rifles you mentioned. For my 223 Browning varminter, I went on up to the 6.5-20x44 Monarch. Guess I am compensating for aging eyes with a tad higher magnification and a flat focal plane for the target and cross hairs.

Regards,

Ron

Someday you will meet a stranger who will change your life forever.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic