OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Building my first long range rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modingus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building my first long range rifle
    Posted: February/19/2007 at 06:31

I am building my first long range rifle capable of 600 yards with interest in reaching out to the 1000 yard range.  From all that I have read one of the best rifles to get started with is the Savage FP10-LE2B .  Have found a couple in the $800 range.  While their are several interesting calibers (ie 6.5 284) I wanted to start with some reasonable and accurate and build my shooting skills before expanding.  Will likely go with the Farrell or Badger single piece mounts with the matching rings based on what I have read.  Now I am faced with the most important decision - which scope to buy.  I have been reading a lot of reviews and would like to seek the groups opinion.  I am assuming that I would want to get as much magnification as possible in certain situations but not sure if that correct.  So am looking for your guidance on this.  As far as the brand of scope have seen much discussion on this but not sure which way to go.  Listed below are the scopes that I have seen the most in reviews and would consider buying.

Super Sniper

Sightron

Leupold

IOR

Nightforce

So would be interested in groups opinion on where they would personally spend their money if they were building a rifle such as the one described.  Thanks in advance for you help!

dusky-jeff View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dusky-jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 09:01

Hi, Modingus. I was in your shoes recently. I had just bought the 10-FP-LE2 and wanted the most tac scope for the money. I bought a SS 10X for me and a 16X for my brother. I am very pleased with mine. The 16X had such a small FOV it wouldn't work for me but the 10X is awesome. I have shot rifles with a high end leupold and a nightforce and there is no denying that they are high quality optics if you want to spend more on a scope then you did on your rifle. In my opinion the SS has almost if not as good optics and is built like a tank. I'm sure guys with more experience with the various scopes that you mentioned can give you more of an objective comparison but in my limited experience I think you would do well with the SS.

BTW, what is the LE2B?  I have the LE2 with the Choate Machine stock but haven't seen anything about a 2B.

Anyway, good luck!

sandsock View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandsock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 19:45
I would recommend doing something similiar to what I did with my first serious rifle, I'd get the SS 10x and then if you decide at some point to buy a more expensive scope, you can upgrade after figuring out what you really like (i.e. if you really decide you need a variable, BDC dials, an illuminated reticle, side focus, etc) and migrate the SS to a second rifle...which is justification to buy a second rifle....say a .308 AR-clone).  Not everybody feels the need for all or some of these types of features, it is better to buy a SS without these bells and whistles than a lesser quality scope (non-attribution....since you didn't list any that come to mind (barska)) with these "tactical" enhancements but pitifully less optical quality.
modingus View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modingus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 21:25
The LE-2B has the McMillan stock on it.
ChrisGarrett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2007 at 23:49

Hello,

I've owned an LE2B in 308 for almost 2 years.  I put a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 w/Z-Plex and for now...Leupold Standard rings/mounts.  I will put a Ken Farrel or Warne 20 MOA base on it and figure out the rings later, perhaps staying with KF or going with some TPS, if they ever get them in stock.  I think these are more than adequate and you're not paying half the price of the rifle, going with some BO type gear. 

I'm still working up loads on my LE2B and I haven't quite found the sweetspot as to bullet weights/powder combos, but I'm still plugging away.  It's been somewhat disappointing, but what the hell?  The trill is often in the hunt and not the kill.

It's a McMillan A3 by the way and they offer the HS Precision stock too.  I personally can't stand the Choate skeleton.

Take care, Chris

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2007 at 11:44
I would go with the HS stock and a IOR.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic