OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How to determine proper ring height

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to determine proper ring height
    Posted: February/22/2007 at 14:28

Measure the outside diameter of your scope's objective, then divide by that by two.

Super Sniper 10x42 has an O.D. of 50mm.  50/2=25mm (.98")

This will be the dimension above which the ring and bases combined will need to raise the scope's centerline to clear a barrel that is the same diameter as the action..

Once you have that key dimension, all you need to do is select a base and ring combination that equals that dimension plus 3mm-5mm to accommodate lens covers.

25mm+3mm=28mm (1.10")

Figure out how thick the base is.  IE: Badger Ordnance Remington 700 base is 7mm thick. 

28mm-7mm=21mm (.82")

Now you need rings which will take up the rest of the dimension.  This is where you need to pay attention because this is where most of the confusion and inconsistencies come from.  Manufacturer's ring heights are not uniform from brand to brand, IE: Burris' low is not the same as Leupold's low.  Ignore their descriptions and go by the actual measurement of the ring.  The actual measurement of "ring height" is determined two different ways.  Some measure from the top of the base (where the ring contacts it) to the centerline of the ring (Fig. A).  Others measure from the top of the base to where the ring first contacts the scope (Fig. B).  If the brand you are considering measures their ring height like Fig. B, you will need to add 12.7mm for one inch scope and 15mm for 30mm scopes to get to the centerline of the ring which is also the center line of the scope.

Badger Ordnance provides both measurements.  For the example Super Sniper on a Remington 700 we need a ring with a height of .82".  Badger Ordnance stock number 30680 measures .823" so these are the ring we would select.

http://www.swfa.com/c-55-badger-ordnance-mounts.aspx

http://www.badgerordnance.com/index.php

http://www.convertunits.com/from/inches/to/mm

Edited by Chris Farris
kuntao View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuntao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2007 at 16:08

Hello Chris

Looking over your explanation and calculations for ring height was totally understandable until the last few lines involving ( fig b). Of course (fig b) is the system Warne uses and hopefully the manufacture of my next set of mounts.

1) Using the above example could you please show me calculations for the ring height if they use fig b for their measuring system?

2) If the scope is low powered and the scope OD of the objective is the same as the ring diameter, is ring height usually just dependent on stock design?

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2008 at 15:25
Well, the way I understand it--if you are looking at a manufacturer who uses [Fig. B] as "their measurement", you would simply use the SAME formula but you would have to simply ADD (Fig. B) plus HALF the ID of the ring to get the desired NUMBER (that would put you at the centerline.)  Correct?

If you have a scope that has a straight tube ( objective the same size as the ID of the rings) you should be able to mount LOW--unless you've got other "issues"--like the Dreaded Bolt Handle-banging-into-your-scope scenario. Stock design shouldn't be involved really. 

Maybe we'll get some more responses.Get%20Your%20Popcorn%20Ready                 --Ed
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 12:15
No, I guess not.          Roll%20Eyes
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2008 at 05:41
I have found that my 50 mm objectives fit with med rings on all of my bolt actions without rear sight ramps (1' and 30 mm tubes).  Those with sight ramps get the high rings as I like to keep iron sights on the barrel if it comes with them.  The only low rings I have are for my shotgun cantilever barrel.
FuddyDudd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuddyDudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 16:30
Great to be a new member of the Forum.  If I walked into my local gun store here in Bama and could actually purchase mil grade mounts I would.  My question is can someone here with the rifle I am putting together can someone here tell me the package I need when I go to the swfa order page and have me set up with experience and wisdom in the package of parts I want?   I have a Rem 700 SPS .308 26' Varmint .802 OD muzzle  mounted in a H and S pro- varminter stock.  I want to mount a SS10x-42mm as Low as possible on a one piece picatinny base and use tactical rings.  I will also be using Butler Creek lense covers.  And also plan to install the Kenton Industries BDC knobs on said scope.  Can someone give me some experience with that as to how well this will work compared to a Zeiss Rapid-Z 600 reticle.  I have a 6-20x-50 on my 22-250 and the whole thing with ranging and checking the "Drop Card" correct power ring for distance thing can be overwhelming in a "hurry up he's bookin it outta hear" hunting situation.  Do the BDC turrets work well givin the rest of the package is in good condition?  I am not concerned @ load specific issues with the knobs because this rifle will be a Deer and Hog intermediate use only.  I like to think I am a sniper and probably will look like a fool at the hunting cabin with my Desert Camo Sniper Scope rig.  Just looking for a durable rig and with the war and all going on kinda feel like a kid wanting to be a sniper.  Thanks.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2009 at 16:36
Get a TPS 20 MOA base.  Then get the SWFA SS 30mm low rings, or TPS 30mm low rings.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
IBGOOSE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBGOOSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2009 at 14:52
Rings for a DPMS LR 308 with a vortex 6-24 x50     need some help in determining which rings to use Big Grin
IBGOOSE Lead Follow or get out of the way
FuddyDudd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuddyDudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2009 at 15:39
I used a EGW 20Moa tapered one piece base with the swfa SS30mm low rings recommended above .  I wound up mounting a Zeiss Conquest 6-20x50mm on my Remington VL 22-250 with the low rings and EGW base with @ 1/4 inch of barrel clearance. 
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2009 at 19:02
Originally posted by FuddyDudd FuddyDudd wrote:

I used a EGW 20Moa tapered one piece base with the swfa SS30mm low rings recommended above .  I wound up mounting a Zeiss Conquest 6-20x50mm on my Remington VL 22-250 with the low rings and EGW base with @ 1/4 inch of barrel clearance. 
 Thanks for posting that this worked out for you with plenty of clearance.
 It's good to keep in mind that these types of bases give a person a little extra leeway in clearance heights, even with big objectives and low rings.

FuddyDudd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuddyDudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2009 at 05:53
Thats true RONK!  I have a set of the swfa SS30mm high rings that I changed  to on a back order for medium rings.  Looking at the height of a 56mm on the same base and rings with the tapered varmint barrel, .820 OD,  I would imagine, at least, with the EGW base I could mount a 72mm........ummmm my oh my but what large eyes I would have to see things in the moonlight with then!! Hooked on Zeiss.
.308 Boo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Boo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2010 at 16:31
I have a DPMS LR .308b. I am looking at putting a 56mm Trijicon on top of it. Any one know what would be the shortest possible rings for this rig.
IBGOOSE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBGOOSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2010 at 07:07
I also have a DPMS 308 it takes extra High rings to get a 50 mm Can off of the forearm hand guard 
IBGOOSE Lead Follow or get out of the way
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2010 at 07:14
Originally posted by .308 Boo .308 Boo wrote:

I have a DPMS LR .308b. I am looking at putting a 56mm Trijicon on top of it. Any one know what would be the shortest possible rings for this rig.

if it were me and nobody elses says anythign I would call SWFA and ask if the SSALT from them or PEPR from Burris would work.  Its great on the ar15 platform but it may not be enough for the ar10.  Maybe someone else will know for sure.
space_weazel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space_weazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2010 at 01:52
Chris, can you add to your initial post, if all measure ments on SWFA are one or the other, or if they aren't which manufacturers use which measurement?

Thank You
mchef View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 13:37
Can anyone please confirm my numbers? I am new to guns and still researching, shopping,etc.

I have a Savage 116 w/accutrigger that I'd like to mount with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. According to Zeiss the OD of the obj lens is 46mm, and scope caps are 2mm thick. So, 46/2 + 2 = 25mm. I am considering the Weaver bases and rings. Matte finish Weaver bases for my rifle are model 46m or s46 for grand slam steel version. Both, according to Weaver measure .222" or approx 5.639mm high. So 25mm - 5.639mm = 19.361mm or .762". Now the Weaver catalog provides all measurements in inches and also only provides saddle height. So I can add the half inch to the Weaver measurement or subtract it from my calculation to find the right rings. .762" - .5" = .262" saddle height. The correct rings from the Weaver catalog would be the medium Grand Slam Dovetail rings with a saddle height of .270" or the high detachable top mount aluminum rings with saddle height of .332".

What I would prefer is to opt for the less expensive aluminum bases/rings but with a medium height ring. According to the formula they would not fit, but after looking at my rifle I'm not so sure. The barrel slopes down as you get to the muzzle and I'm wondering if it's enough to allow clearance with the lower rings.

Can anyone share any personal experiences they have had with my setup or maybe something similar?

Can anyone that owns a conquest 3-9x40 confirm that the lens covers are 2mm thick?

Any other base/ring brand suggestions are also welcome.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 13:42
Mchef, i can confirm or deny because i honestly don't know.  Best advise i can tell you to do is call SWFA and talk to them, they have a lot of experience in mounting things like this as well as a sea of information.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
USN_Sam1385 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USN_Sam1385 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 21:39
Just to make sure I did this math right.

I have a Remington 700 Police .308, I want to put a Nikon scope on. I have Seekins 1 inch .75 LOW rings on the way.

O.D. of scope= 44mm

44mm/2= 22mm or .86 inches

Add 3 mm for scope covers = 25 mm or .98 inches

Now, the base I am using is a Seekins base. It says: "For scope height calculations on a Remington use .44” (11.1 mm) for rear height or .29” (7.36mm) for front height"

So, I will take the lower number to make sure I have plenty of room.

25 mm - 7.3 mm = 17.7 mm or .69 inches.

The 1 inch Seekins rings are a height of .75 inches. So I assume they should work with this set up.
USN_Sam1385 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USN_Sam1385 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2010 at 21:44
Btw: Seekins measures their scope rings like Figure A:

So I do not need to add the additional MM's.

stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 08:41
  Talley makes a very good set of rings for your situation.I have a pair of  SS10x HD's,one on a Rem 700 police in .223 & the other on a Rem 5r milspec....a perfect match.
  One thing I did was to lap the rings 90%,as every rifle is drilled & tapped they are not always the same,lapping is a very important part of setting up a scope & rings....Just my $.02
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic