OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Monarch: my Impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 08:33

I have a 6 X20 Monarch and a 4X 14 Buckmaster from SWFA and no problems , I think you need to call Nikon for a new scope or fix that one. Nikon is saying they have improved customer service time to test it.

Duce

Duce
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2007 at 10:02
Originally posted by Jsimoneaud Jsimoneaud wrote:

What is the " free mil dot master offer" ???

When you order a Nikon with a Mil Dot reticle, there wll be a mail in voucher accompanying the scope in the box for the M.D. Master. 

Normally, you would pay $30 for the Mil Dot Master, but mail in the voucher and $4.95 S&H and they are supposed to mail it out to you.

I haven't done it yet, but I will.....

I'd stop procrastinating, but I keep putting it off......... 

mongo223 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mongo223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2007 at 15:25
Sorry to hear bout your trouble Rancid, Please get it taken care of.  I think if you get a monarch that is up to snuff you won't be disappointed. I got a NiTac 2.5-10x44 from the sample list and can't believe how crisp it is. My hunting bud liked it so much he just ordered a monarch 4-12x40 from the sample list. I'll give my impressions when it arrives. best of luck, M223
Let there be light.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2007 at 11:32
Rancid, I do not want to state the obvious, but regardless of whether you sent in the UPC code, you should have just called Nikon or SWFA afterwards and they would have taken care of you in a very short period of time, as obviously you have a defective scope (instead of wasting on this time and multiple posts regarding this matter).  I am not trying to be mean and I know you want to keep hunting, but at some point you were finally going to realize that the good money you spent was not to be for a defective product and you were going to want to replace it sooner or later, at some point disrupting your shooting.  If you wanted, in the interim period of time, I will bet that SWFA, probably would have sent you something to use, while taking care of that scope.  Or you could have purchased and inexpensive scope to use in the meantime, as a back up scope is always something good to have, especially if you are going to travel to a distant location and hunt.  By the way, my Nikon Monarch 5.5-16x 44mm AO BDC reticle mounted on a Steyr Mannlicher .260 Remington, shot for the first time yesterday with handloads, is the model of perfection and is probably my favorite scope now, over my Bushnell Elite 4200 and Sightron SII.  Just to let you know, I have compared many a German scope next to many of the Japanese models and I just refuse to pay the nose bleed prices for the former scopes.
prosthogod View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prosthogod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2007 at 16:51
Is it true that the Nikons off the sample list only have a30day warranty, as opposed to a brand new one? It seems that other brands seem to still carry a lifetime.
live everyday like your last
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2007 at 18:11

Yes, it is true.  And Dolphin,  it has been gone since the day after my last post.  SWFA worked a deal on it and I now have a Zeiss Conquest mounted where the Monarch was.

And if I had thin skin, I wouldn't be posting m opinions on this board or any other.  Then again, the USMC ain't known for crank'in out thin skinned fighting machines - would seem kinda useless.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2007 at 08:56
Your background speaks well for you and I support you guys all the way.  No disrespect was meant at all.  Do you like the Zeiss?  I have never owned one, probably will buy one of the 3x9s eventually, as they are in my ballpark on the sample list.  But, I love the Nikon Monarch I have.  Just as a sideline.  I originally went to school to be a Air Force fighter pilot, but bad eyes kept me from doing that.  1970s, mid to late.  They wanted me to become a navigator and I declined.  There is more to tell, but where I went to undergraduate school was for the first year, will say, not pleasant.  So, I know where you are coming from.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2007 at 09:30

I was lined up to go to Air Foirce Academy - had Congrssional sponsor and all - but grew 4 inches my senior year and took me out of flight running - and I had no other real interest in Air Force.

I really like the Conquests.  For the money, they are (in my opinion) more scope than leupold and tons better than the Nikons I've seen. off the samplelist is the way to go.

Some like them, some don't; look through one before you buy.  My only complaint of my newest Conquest (4.5-14x44 - I think) was that the marks on the elevation and windage were hash makrs, no number to reference.  Ther is a resetable zero indicator, but still I didn't like it.  It was a moot popint anyway since I had target turret put on the elevation and added a bullet drop compensator.

I am a Zeiss fan, Conquests and, even more, their Diavari line.  Great stuff, in my opinion.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2007 at 15:15
Its been awhile since I looked through any.  But, I will keep that in mind.  Good luck with your new purchase.
mongo223 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mongo223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2007 at 16:54
Hey Rancid, Good deal, hate to see anyone stuck with a bum scope. I have heard a lot of good things about the Ziess conquest, seems like a good value too! Dang it all, I wanted to fly jets too but I got a bum right eye, so it was Fort Knox for me. I was also thinking of getting a custom B.D.C. knob. If you don't mind me asking did you get them from Kenton? If so do you recommend them? Good Luck, and thanks               M223

Edited by mongo223
Let there be light.
mongo223 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mongo223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2007 at 17:06
Oh shoot, I forgot to say  that you need to check the item description out on the sample list some items are factory reconditioned and some are dealer samples. My scope came with the lifetime warranty. I may be mistaken but I think the factory refurbs have a 90 day warranty.   M223
Let there be light.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic