OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Laser Rangefinders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Are Leica Rangefinders made by Leica?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sage1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are Leica Rangefinders made by Leica?
    Posted: March/12/2007 at 07:21
Panasonic makes most of Leica's compact digital cameras for them. Of course Leica supplies the glass. Does
anyone know if the new Leica CRF1200 rangefinder is made by Leica or is there a chance it's another manufacturer
and only the lenses are Leica.

Thanks

Sage1
Narrow Gap View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Narrow Gap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2007 at 18:37
I believe I have your answer sage1. I went to leicas website and the rangefinder says made in Portugal. It is really hard to make out Portugal but I used a magnifying glass to help. I have heard leica used portugal labor to assemble some of there sport optics in the past. I would not worry about them not being assembled in Germany. I am sure there quality control is very strict in Portugal as well. I guess the reason Leica assembles the rangefinders in Portugal is that the labor cost is cheaper than in Germany.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2007 at 15:54

Narrow Gap you are right the rangefinders are made in Portugal, used to own  LRF 1200 and it hade made in Portugal on it.

Regards Chris

Murphy.177 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murphy.177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2007 at 10:25
Originally posted by Glock Glock wrote:

Narrow Gap you are right the rangefinders are made in Portugal, used to own  LRF 1200 and it hade made in Portugal on it.

Regards Chris

Some of Leica Bino's have made in Portugal on them as well.
Master Debater
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic